North American automobile models

torikoos

There are also local economies to consider- much older cars can be seen in less affluent areas, and the lack of a MOT test (we were told they only have to be considered roadworthy and pass an emissions test every other year) means some battered wrecks can often be seen.

This might be getting into nit-picking territory but local variations also depended on the strength of dealership networks. I suppose you could try looking at dealerships for your location (edmunds.com has guides for that), though for historical data you would then have to look at websites to see if there was any clue as to how long the dealership had been in business. That fact is something long-lived dealerships tend to brag about a bit.
The curbside classics site does have a section on European imports if you want to see what made it to these shores and how they fared, e.g., http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/turkey-week-kickoff-1968-1972-austin-america-yankee-doodle-disaster/

I remember seeing one of those at a British car show in the 80s, very tired looking, no idea whether it really had made it from CO to CT under its own power, but the car's plates suggested it hailed from far afield.

There are also local economies to consider- much older cars can be seen in less affluent areas, and the lack of a MOT test (we were told they only have to be considered roadworthy and pass an emissions test every other year) means some battered wrecks can often be seen.

Depending on the jurisdiction there might not even be an emissions test (very true in the '80s). In Ontario there was just a 'safety' required before a car purchased used was licensed. Primarily the lights and brakes had to work and there couldn't be any holes that would let exhaust into the cabin.

Adrian

CT got into emissions tests in a big way in the early 80s, but safety inspections were another matter. They applied to vehicles bought out of state and vehicles over 10 years old changing hands within the state. However, a number of motor vehicle offices had no facilities to conduct tests and did them in the parking lot. Pick a nice rainy day, toward the end of the day, and odds were good the inspector would look at your wreck through the window, if the lights, wipers and horn worked, you were good.

Another aspect of American car culture in rural areas involves the reluctance of people to dispose of their vehicles. They tended to get parked in the yard because they were going to be repaired one day, and would then become storage units, acquiring a graceful patina of decay while portraying the family's automotive history.

If you buy one of those job lots of cheap plastic models, you could always do this with them: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/957454

.......and anyone with a scrapyard may be interested in these - the first I have seen in 1:87

eBay item number:
321228340130 - with grapple or magnet (you get both)
and
eBay item number:
281189371615 This one is fitted with a shear blade

Edited by shortliner

I've now seen a couple of the Oxford 1/87 cars (the '49 Mercury and the Thunderbird) and they are very nice. Definitely worth the (very reasonable) price.

Adrian

Hopefully these will fill some gaps in my parking lots.  I need typical 30's - 50's 'average' cars in muted colo(u)rs that would suit a coal mining area where cash etc. would be in relatively short supply.  Any suggestions?  I somehow think that a T-Bird wouldn't be a regular sight.

And 4 wheel small(ish) trucks for local coal landsale deliveries?

Who actually stocks Mini-Metals etc. in the UK?  I've looked on several websites but not a lot on offer, if at all.

If you can speak or read dutch, I've found another online shop that does primarily Herpa models, and scanning through their online stock, a few US models could be found (and promptly ordered).

Payment might be a bit tricky though as you need to pay in advance via bank transfer.  My first order just arrived today. 

www.vanzuthem.nl

Koos

Model junction has just had some new ones in...

Thanks for that, the Chevy truck looks useful.  I've also checked Oxford and the Plymouth looks like a possibility.

EDIT - just realised it's a Mercury, doh! :sclerosis:

Edited by 5050

After today's arrival, I've gained:

Pontiac Grand Prix

Buick Grand National

BMW 633csi (a classic from the 80's)

Camaro super sport

Mercedes 190E

Mercedes W123 (the old square boxy one)

Chevrolet Caprice 'State Police

Kenworth  truck + trailer (with german promotional writing, an airbrush etc will take care that this one is turning into something more boring quickly)

I must admit that the above list does contain some high power cars, not your everyday, but they're older shapes and with a bit of weathering could look like they're driven by their 3rd or 4th owner etc.

The most mundane is probably the Mercedes 190E, which would probably have been sold and seen in the US too.

all and all my stock of US automobiles has grown a little today. 

Koos

Pontiac Grand Prix  - depending on the version these could be pretty common (especially 4th gen - contemporary with the Buick GN)

Buick Grand National - fairly rare (the Regal on which it was based - same platform as the 4th gen Pontiac above - was common)

BMW 633csi (a classic from the 80's) - there were a few around, but not common (i.e. noticed by impressionable youth)

Camaro super sport - rare

Mercedes 190E - sold over here, but not that common - people didn't necessarily buy 'cheap' Mercedes

Mercedes W123 (the old square boxy one) - fairly common (i.e. not noticed by impressionable youth), but slight detail differences to Euro-spec (headlights and bumpers)

Chevrolet Caprice 'State Police - a staple vehicle

Kenworth  truck + trailer (with german promotional writing, an airbrush etc will take care that this one is turning into something more boring quickly)

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Thanks Adrian,

you're comments are useful. I will be trying where possible, to make the cars look a bit more common, by removing sporty stripes etc.

It also illustrates the reason for this thread. Most model cars generally are the 'top of the range' of a certain car, never the more standard versions, and that's what we need more of, good reasonably priced models, of modern tooling standards.  There are a few 'common' cars around, but some of them seem to be made with tooling that was less than accurate, and are more toy like than a model railroad scenery item.

Koos

I do have the advantages of having grown up over here and of having gone through the 'pre-license/newly-licensed youth lusting for cars' phase during the late '70s and early '80s. Of course, I got to drive my parents' bottom of the line (my father took the radio-delete option) '75 Plymouth Valiant, followed by it's replacement, an '82 Honda Accord, so I saw mundane first-hand. Few of my friends had anything better to drive, though.

Adrian