3mm foamboard supplier

Needed some 3mm foamboard. Looked at the usual suspects, Hobbycraft (only do 5mm) Antics - only do A3 (AT £1.50) and came up with http://www.papergourmet.co.uk/view_foam_board.asp?ID=58. Other suppliers are available.

Placed order yesterday morning, delivered this morning. (they only do next day delivery)

Comparison of prices - Antics comes out at £12.02 per sq metre, Mine, including delivery comes out at £4.45 per sq metre (£1.56 a 500mmx700mm sheet). OK you have to buy 25 sheets so my bill is £38.95 including delivery, but if a few people want to share the cost it's very attractive for the price.

No connection with the company - just satisfied.

Interesting link, thanks. Am I going Doohlali or is it significantly cheaper to buy 100 Swann & Morton No.11 sterile scalpel blades individually wrapped at £6.99 rather than 100 non-sterile No.11s in fives at £10.99. I wonder why?

Doug

Interesting link, thanks. Am I going Doohlali or is it significantly cheaper to buy 100 Swann & Morton No.11 sterile scalpel blades individually wrapped at £6.99 rather than 100 non-sterile No.11s in fives at £10.99. I wonder why?

Doug

I suspect that the sterile version will always be bought by Hospitals, in boxes, they must get through thousands every year!

The non-sterile in packs of 5 will be bought by (skin-flint?) modellers and hobbyists (like me!) who cannot imagine using 100 blades in a life-time. Like any product, the smaller the quantity, the more it costs to pack and market, and the small quantity will probably be in a blister pack too. All adds to the purchaser's cost. Could be a difference in the vendor's mark-up too.

• 1 month later...

I suspect that the sterile version will always be bought by Hospitals, in boxes, they must get through thousands every year!

The non-sterile in packs of 5 will be bought by (skin-flint?) modellers and hobbyists (like me!) who cannot imagine using 100 blades in a life-time. Like any product, the smaller the quantity, the more it costs to pack and market, and the small quantity will probably be in a blister pack too. All adds to the purchaser's cost. Could be a difference in the vendor's mark-up too.

the non sterile are 5 to a pack so thats 100 blades 5 in each pk = LESS material used. and no sterile packing environment..

sterile ones are are single packed so 100 blades 1 singles = 100  lots of packing material + sterile environment/sterilization 

• 7 months later...

Try begging Foamex offcuts from a signage company.  I get all I can use from my son, who gets large offcuts from his graphics chum in a signage company. Foamex, which is all plastic is what most of them use and is wonderful stuff for impressing stones and bricks.

Regards,

Boatman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Boatman.

I'll go along with you on Foamex - brilliant stuff. Like your son, I get off-cuts from our local signage company in 3mm and 6mm, black or white. They also give me spare pieces of sticky-back vinyl in various colours.

The other service they offer is full colour printing onto sticky vinyl of your own picture files - a 1' x 2' graphics of the track plan for my control panel was £14 printed onto 3mm Foamex plus a spare vinyl copy. For a 7' x 15" backscene from a panorama photo that I stitched from 5 pictures they quoted £45.

As for sticking Foamex (and uPVC soffit board - another good modelling medium) I use plastic solvent from plumbers suppliers. Dodgy smell, so use with caution, but makes a brilliant bond.

HTH

Shaun.

Archived