Caledonian Sleeper Coaches & other bodges

Scott

I've decided to have a go at modelling a couple of Caledonian Sleeper coaches. Using Airfix mk2D's I'm going for RFB 1220 and one of the BUO's. (I've not decided on which identity yet.)

I've previously had a go at a lounge coach. A reasonable job but I learned a few things from doing this that should produce a better model this time!

8714701997_1cbdd578db.jpg
Caledonian Sleeper RFB 1220 by scottm1873, on Flickr

After watching some coaches on eBay I managed to pick up a couple of bargains. Both by each sellers own admission poor repaints of Intercity Executive and Network Rail liveries.

First of all the FO which will become the RFB. A bargain at £2.40!

10843432984_bf30e6599c.jpg
Airfix mk2D by scottm1873, on Flickr

And secondly a TSO which will become the BUO.

10843625353_cfcdc91522.jpg
Airfix mk2D by scottm1873, on Flickr

So the first step will be to strip the paint off these, results to follow shortly.........

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Both coaches were treated to some Mr Muscle oven cleaner and left in a plastic container for around two hours.The paint came off both pretty easily so perhaps this means they were recently done by their former owners.

First up the FO. There seems to be some scratching around the window frames but I'm not too worried. Anyway, the toilet window on the left and the next two windows will be blanked and smoothed anyway.

10859988695_6bf449967c.jpg

The TSO looks pretty clean.

10860153044_c06ac1b78c.jpg

I plan to start the RFB first, that should be more straight forward!

Edited by Scott

• 3 months later...

Its been a while since I've posted in here, thats not to say I haven't been busy!

The lounge car is ready for paint, not sure when that'll be yet though!

12779690703_a5de2d3597.jpg

The seated car has had more filling and sanding since this pic and now just needs another dusting of primer to show how its going. This was taken last week.

12779695353_9e8a94749e.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Cheers Ian, there's been a small hold up as I sliced my thumb open on some glass so I haven't been able to do much! Had to be my 'modelling hand'! I see your in Dumbarton, I'm just along in Alexandria.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time for an update! Both coaches have been in the paint shop and had the base colours applied to them.

RFB with blanked side:

14196113049_7d1a6c3e66.jpg

BUO

14379418971_2a6de0c0ba.jpg

14379415851_2b313e0719.jpg

The two together

14379406251_05d389cc80.jpg

I'm not really happy with the white handrails on the BUO so might try and see if I can tidy those up. Other than that just some small bits of black to add around the doors and yellow for the steps and it will be ready for some gloss in preperation for the transfers.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Great thread - done this in N with Hurst sides, should be easier when Bachamann bring out 12xx coaches shortly - just in tiime to finish project !  

Re tag I think this an errorette as ? is next to the heart for loves just easy give post time 00.50! a bit like reply all ... 

Robert

What a transformation so far!

They are looking fantastic, and that's before they have been finished and put back together.

I'm following this with great interest.

Edit: Grammar/Spelling

Edited by antsimkins
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the lack of updates with these coaches. They are now finished and have been running around in my Fort William inspired sleeper rake behind 67004, until that failed!

The seated coach, BUO

23839935964_5b8e807ed0.jpgmk2 Sleeper coaches by scottm1873, on Flickr

The lounge, RLO

24100349199_4fe2e283b2.jpgmk2 Sleeper coaches by scottm1873, on Flickr

The two together

23839926244_14a70c92a7.jpgmk2 Sleeper coaches by scottm1873, on Flickr

RLO alongside Hornby mk3 sleeper

24385716431_eb96110aaf.jpgmk2 Sleeper coaches by scottm1873, on Flickr

Edited by Scott
  • Like 9

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently finished off some ScotRail mk2's for a mini Fife circle set to go along with the stunning Dapol class 68. I used the new Hornby model that comes with led's fitted in the coaches. Painted the interior a little and added some passengers. Transfers on the TSO's are from R3sprays and the BSO is RailTec. 

34789746594_e342f11391.jpg

34789771444_64e74c1093.jpg

35244167280_d00631757c.jpg

Edited by Scott
  • Like 13

• 1 year later...

Good to see someone else from Dumbarton on here!

Nice work on the Caledonian Sleeper coaches, you still see these coaches on the sleeper from Fort William passing through Dumbarton just now, despite the service having a rebrand. I did notice that a new liveried coach has made it's way into the set in the past couple of weeks though!

I do also hope that my Spotrail coaches end up looking as good as yours!

• Like 1

Good to see someone else from Dumbarton on here!

Nice work on the Caledonian Sleeper coaches, you still see these coaches on the sleeper from Fort William passing through Dumbarton just now, despite the service having a rebrand. I did notice that a new liveried coach has made it's way into the set in the past couple of weeks though!

I do also hope that my Spotrail coaches end up looking as good as yours!

Cheers! I’ve got another mk2 just waiting for the new livery to be applied.

• Like 1

I realise it was a few years ago so may have been lost in the midsts of time, but what colour did you use for the sleeper coaches? It looks absolutely spot on!

Thanks very much! I used a Halfords spray can, Vauxhall Atlantis blue.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cheers! I’ve got another mk2 just waiting for the new livery to be applied.

Hi Scott , sorry just caught up with this thread. Great looking Mk2s . What colour did you use for Spotrail? Have you found a match in Halfords?

Hi Scott , sorry just caught up with this thread. Great looking Mk2s . What colour did you use for Spotrail? Have you found a match in Halfords?

Same as above, the First group blue and "Spotrail" blue is the same colour. I managed to stumble across the livery guides a few years ago to confirm.

• 1 month later...

Same as above, the First group blue and "Spotrail" blue is the same colour. I managed to stumble across the livery guides a few years ago to confirm.

Hi , don't suppose you would know the 'halfords' equivalent of the purple used for the earlier 'swoosh' livery? thanks