The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Nuclear in war and mostly peace

Bon Accord

• RMweb Premium

Very thought provoking.  Rough parity between the USA and USSR but a huge percentage disparity between France and the UK.   The number that have been done in the South Western US beggars belief.  the rocks in some areas must be like a rather large swiss cheese.

Jamie

Wasn't it claimed that John Wayne, amongst others, probably contracted the cancer that killed him because of the proximity of some of the areas used for filming westerns to the test areas?  As if these tests weren't enough, I remember reading of some scheme to build a parallel Panama Canal using nuclear blasting.

Lynne's dad was a 19-year-old Marine on HMS Implacable, which took part in the Japanese surrender ceremony; he subsequently went ashore, and saw the devastation of Nagasaki at first hand. We still have some hand-embroidered handkerchiefs which he bought there.

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't it claimed that John Wayne, amongst others, probably contracted the cancer that killed him because of the proximity of some of the areas used for filming westerns to the test areas?  As if these tests weren't enough,

That's right  John Ford filmed one that Wayne starred in and several of the cast and crew suffrred as a result.

Jamie

surely the vast majority of those were done underground.

edit: according to a brief internet search only about 500 (or about a quarter) of all nuclear explosions have been above ground, with none since 1980.

but 500 is still a lot! I wouldn't have guessed it was that many (and I'm not sure below-ground is 100% safe either).

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/atest00.html

follow the links at the bottom for more data.

double-edit: since 1963 the UK, US and USSR/Russia have not conducted any above-ground tests. France and China kept pounding away until 1980 though...

That's right  John Ford filmed one that Wayne starred in and several of the cast and crew suffrred as a result.

Jamie

I've often thought / wondered,...Whether,..The proliferation / increased number / ratio of nuclear bomb tests, since the 1940s / 50s / 60s, has affected the increased number of cancer cases, world-wide.

Has anyone looked into this ?

I've often thought / wondered,...Whether,..The proliferation / increased number / ratio of nuclear bomb tests, since the 1940s / 50s / 60s, has affected the increased number of cancer cases, world-wide.

Has anyone looked into this ?

If they did, every country in the nuclear family would go out of their way to ensure that information was never, ever, made public. You do have to wonder though.

I do know that there is quite a market for 'pre atomic' steel,;i.e. steel that was produced before the first atomic explosions in the 1940s, as everything made since then is contaminated with radionuclides. Hence you have the likes of NASA buying lumps of steel from the wrecks of the German High Seas fleet in Scapa Flow, as not only is it 'pre atomic', it's also been underwater and thus protected from fallout.

If they did, every country in the nuclear family would go out of their way to ensure that information was never, ever, made public. You do have to wonder though.

I do know that there is quite a market for 'pre atomic' steel,;i.e. steel that was produced before the first atomic explosions in the 1940s, as everything made since then is contaminated with radionuclides. Hence you have the likes of NASA buying lumps of steel from the wrecks of the German High Seas fleet in Scapa Flow, as not only is it 'pre atomic', it's also been underwater and thus protected from fallout.

Yep, I've read of that.

Makes one think....Does it not ?.....

Wasn't it claimed that John Wayne, amongst others, probably contracted the cancer that killed him because of the proximity of some of the areas used for filming westerns to the test areas?  

The movie was 'The Conqueror' filmed in 1954 and "possibly contributed to his death" ('Duke', University of Oklahoma Press).The film was shot in the Escalante Desert in Utah about 140 miles from the atomic testing site in Nevada, and the crew spent six weeks there in in heat hovering around 120 degrees, working in radioactive sand. It was in the direct path of the fallout. Whether working in the contaminated area caused the deaths or not, deaths from cancer among crew and cast ran alarmingly high: John Wayne, Susan Hayward, Pedro Armendariz, Thomas Gomez, Agnes Moorhead, director Dick Powell, and at least thirt-four others. It is also mentioned that some were heavy smokers but most were not.

surely the vast majority of those were done underground.

While you answered your own question, yes, and underwater too.

The vast majority of the testing in the American south west was underground.

The French continued testing in remote Pacific islands for a long time. Greenpeace kept the Rainbow Warrior in New Zealand as a base to protest atomic testing at Moruroa Atoll until French agents provocateur sank it in the Auckland harbour in 1985.

Australians are still a bit touchy about British nuclear testing in Australia at Maralinga.

What's not here is other crazy nuclear testing like the US Air Force nuclear powered aircraft testing at the Idaho Laboratory (with their radioactive exhaust) and the waste from the reactors used to create the weapons grade fissile material at sites like Hanford (just up the river from Portland) and Rocky Flats in the Denver, Colorado area.

The movie was 'The Conqueror' filmed in 1954 and "possibly contributed to his death". ...

It is also mentioned that some were heavy smokers but most were not.

The Duke was a chain smoker. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1964 and had a lung and four ribs removed. Five years later he was declared cancer free (of the lung cancer). He would later die of stomach cancer in 1979.

Even in later years, the underground test site in Nevada was not far from Las Vegas (about 100 miles by road). People in Las Vegas could feel tremors from the underground testing. You can visit it, should you dare.

• RMweb Premium

Well, they used to tell us how important it was to be a nuclear family......

When I was about 11 in the 80's, I thought nuclear familes were those privileged folk with their own fallout shelters!

When I was about 11 in the 80's, I thought nuclear familes were those privileged folk with their own fallout shelters!

A bloke related to us was a councillor and lord mayer in the late 1960s and couldn't wait to tell me he had been allocated a place in the Colwyn nuclear bunker. Idiot!

Early 70s off the top of my head and yes it does indeed include SPV transfers.

Just proves how primitive we still are as a race!

Now add all the nuclear fallout from all the accidents including sunken submarines, nuclear waste, and then to top it all the is the disasters and the one that will keep giving and possibly case an extinction event ...... I give you Fukashima

To quote the King Crimson lyric from Court of the Crimson King (1969) "Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I fear is in the hands of fools"

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Tom Lehrer wrote several songs which would be appropriate:

Probably the best is 'The wild west is where I want to be.'

I can't remember all the lyrics but here are two bits..

Where the scenerys attractive

and the air is radioactive

Oh the Wild West is where I want to be.

I'll put on my sombrero

and of course I'll wear a pair of

Leviz over my lead Bvd's.

or better still follow this link,

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Not for yonks I'm afraid to say but some things from my late teens/early twenties seem to stay in the memory. . . if slghtly discoloured to a rosy hue ! ! !

At least you must have been in a state where you can remember such things.  I first saw Woodstock at the Kingston odeon in 1971 not long after hendrix had died and when he did his set everyone in ther audience stood and aplauded him.   A couple of years ago my darling daughter gave me a copy of 'Woodstock the Directors cut' on DVD and I watch it occaisionally when SWMBO is out.  Lots of pretentious twaddle being talked but some absolutely fabulous music.

Jamie

Archived