Trackmobile (Factory Direct Trains) - UK supplier or stockist ?

corax67

I have failed to find any UK supplier of the DCC fitted version of a FTD Trackmobile after a very thorough internet trawl.

I have been challenged to build a box-file layout and this was my planned loco of choice but at $110 plus shipping,VAT and import duty it's a non-starter - I placed a classified on RMWeb a few weeks ago too but I guess anyone who has one is definitely holding on to it.

Any help sourcing one of these lovely looking little loco's would be greatly appreciated - any livery at all but DCC fitted.

• RMweb Gold

I doubt you will find a UK dealer for these....

The company behind Factory Direct Trains, Broadway Limited, Precision Craft Models has a track record for being less than fair to their dealers and as a result they have very few remaining.

They sold several models to dealers at the usual 40% off list and then before dealers had a time to shift their stock started knocking them out though Factory Direct Trains at a retail price of 50% off list.

Great for the shopper, pretty rubbish for any dealer hoping to stay in business

The company behind Factory Direct Trains, Broadway Limited, Precision Craft Models has a track record for being less than fair to their dealers and as a result they have very few remaining.

They sold several models to dealers at the usual 40% off list and then before dealers had a time to shift their stock started knocking them out though Factory Direct Trains at a retail price of 50% off list.

That could explain why the ones on e-bay are all from China

• RMweb Gold

Model Jcn in Slough can order them but you need the Walthers code from Walthers website first.

Here's the detail from MJ website

http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/information.php?info_id=15&osCsid=bq9ivq6phi5mabls6oehtmte51

Find the code here- www.walthers.com

I've got one on order which they confirmed in two days. As Paul said above BLI are quite random in their actual production and allocation and are well known for not producing on time or at all if orders are low.

Are you certain of your facts, Paul?

http://entrepreneurshipinterviews.org/?p=3923

Best, Pete.

I have no axe to grind I just googled ownership of FDT.

Are you saying this is wrong then (in my link)?

It's very easy to "say" something - I could contact FDT and ask them  to comment but I don't want to get RMWeb into potential trouble.

Best, Pete.

Karl,

Yes, shipping is a real deal killer now between the UK and USA - particularly as you cannot check items first etc., and some toing and froing result.

I've basically given up plans for a P4 layout due to this....

Really big companies like Amazon seem to get around it by bulk shipments between continents then onward transmission to individuals.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

PCM & BLI may not be the same company as Factory Direct Trains but FDT is one of the companies they dump stock on. The point is they dump stock, screw dealers & have few dealers as a result.  I speak as one screwed over by them and who now wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

Broadway Limited started as a different company established by QSI Sound to bring that sound system to the market. As a narrow gauge modeller/dealer I imported the C16 2-8-0 with QSI sound. QSI sound took off and lots of other manufacturers wanted to use the sound system so QSI decided to sell off BLI and sold it to the outfit in Florida. Very few, if any, of the staff went with the move.  BLI was sold with a tie to using QSI sound but no priority in the production. To get round this the Florida outfit invented Precision Craft Models. These were made in the same far eastern factory but had ESU sound in them. It was under this badge they produced the Galloping Goose.

Subsequently, they decided they didn't want to pay ESU either so they invented Blue Line sound which was their own but got poor reviews. They redid the 0n30 C16 with it and the one I heard was rubbish. They haven't produced any other NG stuff but they appear now to have reverted to using the BLI name and there is no mention of PCM on their website.

When they had the C16's it was the original BLI based somewhere in the northeast of the USA that dumped all the remaining stock on, I think, Star Models. I bought some from them for less than I could buy as a dealer. The PCM Goose was done by the Florida outfit and they dumped stock on Factory Direct Trains and they were retailed for less than I could buy them from PCM.  They are a thinly capitlised company and have to sell everything to finance the next model. They now mostly sell only pre-ordered models and if they don't get enough orders they don't bother.

Karl,

Yes, shipping is a real deal killer now between the UK and USA - particularly as you cannot check items first etc., and some toing and froing result.

I've basically given up plans for a P4 layout due to this....

Really big companies like Amazon seem to get around it by bulk shipments between continents then onward transmission to individuals.

Best, Pete.

I cannot justify doubling the cost of the loco purchase on shipping and such sadly - my wife's stepsister works in New York and is coming home for Christmas but I don't know if she would incur any costs at customs if she brought one over for me as a "Christmas present".

If not then I may attempt that route.

Pete - don't forget that Broadway Limited Imports is owned by Joe Grubba's brother Robert.

I can't forget when I didn't know.... Thanks for the info, Ian.

Very interesting.

I must admit that I tend to use MB Klein (Model Train Stuff) or TrainWorld....

Best, Pete.

Karl - I'm slightly confused - £55.93 + £18.58 is £74.51 - even addiing customs and the "service charge" (if HMRC do charge for it) shouldn't take it over a ton - and not sure how the lady will bring it back from New York - since it's in China!

There is also VAT to be added at 20% adding another £14.90 taking the price to £89.41 - maybe not a ton but not far off.

As for Sue bringing one from NY, I meant that she could purchase one on my behalf from a suitable supplier in NY or it's environs such as Gotham Models and bring that back with her, not the eBay item.

I cannot justify doubling the cost of the loco purchase on shipping and such sadly - my wife's stepsister works in New York and is coming home for Christmas but I don't know if she would incur any costs at customs if she brought one over for me as a "Christmas present".

If not then I may attempt that route.

Google "HMRC Bringing goods into UK" for advice on the customs.

Nick

That's OK - I could be confusing myself here too to be honest.

I've not bought anything from the USA for many years having sold off all my HO stock but when I did buy stuff from overseas it used to be that you had the item cost plus shipping then added customs duty then added VAT on top of all that. The VAT & duty usually got charged on your doorstep by the courier with an invoice which was a big surprise the first time it happened.

I'm not sure if things have changed in the last 5 years or so but the HM Customs website isn't the most intuitive to navigate for answers and I am assuming not to be on the safe side.

The VAT & duty usually got charged on your doorstep by the courier with an invoice which was a big surprise the first time it happened.

Hi Karl

Royal Mail/ Parcelforce send you notification of the amount due. You then pay at the depot or on line and they release your parcel. If it comes via Parcelforce and you go and collect it don't forget to take photo id.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

My belief - and it's no more than that - is that one is entitled to bring back a certain level of stuff as gifts from abroad. Clearly an arm full of Rolexes will breach that, as I believe the value to be no more than £2-300 at the most, maybe less. A model Trackmobile may not be a key item in getting the lady in jail, however, and if she declares it and other gifts the Revenue men may not be that interested.

EDIT - This looks good. Up to £390-worth of gifts tax free.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm#1

Archived