building a harbour layout help

kingfisher9147

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear here comes the raucous laughter ..... BUT I built mine using foamboard a la Carl Arendt and it worked a treat.  You can cut it with a Stanley knife easily build different faces and levels support it like a box girder bridge so that the sum is greater than its parts and carry it round easily.  Sorry I'll shut up again now ...

• RMweb Premium

Foam board will work, I personally don't like it as I can't seem to get good results with it. 

You could use the MDF / soft wood, just make sure that it's well sealed. The end result might well be heavy.

Foam board is very easy to work with. It takes hot glue or ordinary adhesives well. The secret to prevent warping or damage is to paint both surfaces. I use cheap external woodwork paint which gives a tough finish. If you only paint one side of the board I guarantee it will warp.

Try to avoid single sheets, as they tend to warp over time. The strongest results come from using two layers with intermediate reinforcements. Much in the same way as plywood baseboards are reinforced. I cut approx 1 inch wide slices that I glue between two sheets.

It is very light!

Can you tell I'm a fan.....

Regards

Eric

Hi All, I hope this is in the right place. I am trying to build a model of a harbour pre 1920's with steam ship etc in 009. I have all ready got the ply wood, I was wondering what is the best wood to use to surport the dock area where the track will be.

cheers mike

Hi Mike. You ask about supporting the dock area where the track will be...are we talking wooden jetty with timber supports and an open frame; or stone-built? I'm assuming you mean the former, as the latter would be pretty straightforward to do.....if it's the former, there are various strip hardwoods available which would work well.

Ian

Archived