GWR Country Terminus Plan

Seanem44

So I am sure that everyone has seen enough of these GWR plans.  I decided that because of space restrictions, and because I fell in love with my little Dapol N Gauge Pannier, I am scrapping my other layout plans and will build a small GWR country terminus.  This way I can focus on running one or two engines with short two coach passenger trains.  I have a 6 foot by 12 inch plank I plan on using, and plan on keeping this to no more than 5 points.  I envision store fronts to the left and a road bridge to the right acting as a scenic break hiding the fiddle yard, which will be cassettes.

Does this layout seem GWR?  Any glaring issues that need fixing?  Don't know much about signaling or where they should go.  I've bought some ratio kits to build and am ready to buy the points and get this thing under way.  Tired of posting, scrapping and revising.  I'm sticking to this one.

post-13382-0-22183500-1384885909_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

No glaring issues that I can see. 

In terms of signalling, Then there would need to be a signal controlling the departure from the platform (maybe with a shunt signal attached) and a signal controlling the exit from the loop / goods yard. This would most likely be a ground signal. The other side of the road bridge there would be other signals (advance starter maybe) and the approach signals but in the size that you have these won't be seen. 

Enclosed is what my original plan had been, keeping the size of the board in mind.

I kind of liked this design as well, as it was more compact.  I forget the prototype that I had seen that had the goods shed in this manner.  Maybe I am wrong.

At any rate, I plan on putting half inch insulation on the plank as an underlay.  By doing this, I can also safely widen the station area by a few inches, as the isulation is fairly sturdy.

Which of the two layouts do you like better?

post-13382-0-74644300-1384893592_thumb.jpg

I had thought about that.  Is a headshunt not necessary for a station this size?  That's why I had originally added that spur.  My original plan was even more Spartan than this and was similar to a modified Blagdon.  Beig unfamiliar of British prototype doesn't really help, as most stations here in the States are either very large, or basically a halt.  Not to mention we really didn't have goods sheds the way you do either.

Thanks again....

Since this is my first true layout, a minimalist approach is what I am looking for so I can practice all the aspects of modeling, from building and painting the ratio stations and goods shed I purchases, to ballasting and applying static grass to the landscape.

I already have the Dapol Pannier and purchased two Suburban Brake coaches to run with it, and have preordered the Farish pannier coming out and will run it with an autocoach.  They will take turns pushing small trains of about 4-5 trucks around, primarily coal from the spur, and likely cattle if I decide to put a cattle dock in.

Just a minor point that the spur or headshunt would have been required to prevent goods wagons inadvertently getting on the the main line.  At Blagdon it might not have been obvious if a catch point was used instead.

Another thing is that coal bins/pens (not really staithes) were hardly ever found in Great Western branchline goods yards.  Most unloading would have been directly from the wagon into the waiting road vehicle for delivery.  If you want to have the "standard" modeller's coal bin, then it would more likely be away from the tracks, to allow other users access to any wating wagons, acting as temporary storage to allow the emptied wagons to be sent away before accruing demurrage..

Archived