Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered IV

Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

The printers have confirmed delivery to us on 6 December of the fourth volume in this popular series. I have reverted back to printing just 1000 copies of this title, rather than the several thousand printed of previous volumes in light of the current financial climate, so don't miss out by holding back.

Follows the usual style for a large landscape colour album with some of the best shots I can find from collections to depict how it really was during the 1960s, a few 1950s shots creep in for good measure in this volume. Such as a brand new D8000 among other rarities to be enjoyed.

Chapters this time include, Blue is the Colour, Under the Wires, Sulzer Sounds, Southern Power, Eastern Delights, Type 1 Developements, Type 2 Decisions, One of a Kind, English Electric Medley.

Once again I think we have found some real gems, with many shots selected with the modeller in mind within the 160 pages.

post-10498-0-16897000-1384941530.jpg

• RMweb Gold

How many of my hard earned model railway tokens will I need to pass in your direction so as to obtain a copy of said book?

Sadly for you but happily for myself, the printers and the soon to be ex-wife (who still wants her pound of flesh) I will need £29.95. Look upon it this way I will be using the little bit I get to keep towards purchasing a Heljan HS4000 on eBay or similar, so I need a lot more to dig deep please to get me in the frame for this one. Have a look on the website for details of the book that is not the ex....

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news Kevin.Any other "Seventies spotting days" books planned for December 2013 as well?

I am working on Seventies Spotting Days along the East Coast Main Line for release some point in 2014 and likewise one for the WCML.

But a Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered is looming fast as I have been keeping back some cracking shots believe me...

Kevin

Hi Kevin

How do we pre-order this book.

I have the first three in the series and would like the fourth.

With a limited print run I don't want to miss out.

No mentioned on your EBAY site.

If you Google Strathwood all you get is something called EKMPOWERSHOP - not much help there.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin

How do we pre-order this book.

I have the first three in the series and would like the fourth.

With a limited print run I don't want to miss out.

No mentioned on your EBAY site.

If you Google Strathwood all you get is something called EKMPOWERSHOP - not much help there.

Have just changed over the website today, visit www.strathwood.co.uk or Google (strathwood). Hope the new website is clearer than the old one, otherwise telephone me on 01463 234004.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy to report sales of Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered IV have been brisk and the book is still in the binding plant and due for despatch in a weeks time to all of those who have pre-ordered. So much so I have completed the cover for Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered V for target release around Easter 2014, once again limited to 1000 copies only, as I do not want to retire in a few years with thousands of books left on pallets in a warehouse I am afraid. Yes the theme of prototype diesels continues on the covers although some of you have mistaken DP2 on volume IV as a green Deltic, shame on you...

So for a volume VI what next GT3 or perhaps make a start on Class 52 Western liveries as I have a cracking shot of a green one in mind?

Kevin

post-10498-0-66837500-1385723675_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The binders have delivered all 1000 copies of Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered IV yesterday, I will be arranging to get the 400 plus already ordered away during the next few days. If you want more details about this title visit http://www.strathwood.co.uk/sixties-diesel--electric-days-remembered-iv-32-p.asp

I will not be doing any reprints in this economic climate so be quick if you want one as I am working on volume 5 & volume 6.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Next up will be London Midland Steam Days Remembered II and Looking back at Class 24 & Class 25 Locomotives, closely followed by Eastern Steam Days Remembered, expected late January early February. Will post up the cover designs next week.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Its been a busy week for the new title Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered IV as around 400 copies have been sent out already of the 1000 printed to individual purchasers, time to get stuck into the stock to go out to retail outlets now.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

DP2 arrived safely at platform 5, Kings Cross today.

I have a feeling it might be a quick turnaround and not be seen for another 13 days. What a nice Xmas present it will make.

Volume five will be a hard decision to make, a lovely railway book or an Easter egg or two?

• RMweb Gold

The penultimate carriage in the train shown on page 136 is a '1940 Coronation Scot' corridor third - built after the war.  A very rare find in a service train.

In an all maroon rake too which is also rare at this point as blue & grey vehicles infected so many rakes very quickly it seemed.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Mine has arrived.Very prompt service from Strathwood.

Looking forward now to the "Looking back at 24-25's".

Then the "Seventies" titles covering East & West coast mainlines.

Maybe a diesel title on "Wales" Kevin ?

Would be very happy to do a Seventies Spotting days around Wales. But trying to find colour material west of Canton and at Holyhead in sunshine or at least in decent lighting in the 1970s is a major problem, surely the sun shone in west Wales or was it that so few folk trekked past the footbridge into Canton?

I have to admit I only ventured further westward twice with the Dalescroft Railfans Club and once with a mystery excursion which took a weird route via the Central Wales Line in freezing conditions and the Class 37 dropped dead completely in the middle of nowhere and a train full of punters froze to death in our all compartment train awaiting the triumphant arrival of a steam heat Class 47, all for the princely sum of £1 from Ealing Broadway around 1971.

Most other visits to the area were just to Ebbw Junction, Canton, Radyr, Llantrisant, and a few of the colliery systems that still ran steam and of course to Barry to use all the wrecks as climbing frames as we all did back then. No health & Safety or risk assessments, we just bunked the place and clambered on board whatever we fancied. Clambering through the engine rooms of D600 and D601 was spooky to say the least.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

The Dalescroft tours around Scotland every Easter were a hoot, in 1972 about five coach loads from all over the south decended upon Ardrossan at around the same time. we stripped the assembled Claytons like locusts across a field of wheat. There was hardly a route blind or builders plate left as tools from the coach drivers were plundered to arm up some, others it seemed produced tools from their overnight bags. It was a bright and sunny morning as I recall, although the first two days had been horrible and the rain whilst driving alongside Loch Ness from Inverness to Fort William was something to be believed. I also remember it was a wonder the coach did not tip over as we passed Bescot on the M6 on the way back as everyone peered out of the windows to see what we could identify on the way back to London.

We also stopped a number of times at Toton around 4am with not a single permit to be found onboard whilst heading northwards from London to allow a little nocturnal bunking of the place, with the coach parked up at the end of the approach road hidden by rows and rows of Class 20s.

Happy days...

Kevin

Archived