RMweb

Favourite Railways mag of old

18B

Afternoon

Whilst going through my magazine collection, I was struck by the depth and seriousness of many of the Modern Railways and before it, Trains Illustrated articles often were. Being too young to have bought these mags first time round, its a bit of a retrospective question to ask what your favourite Railway mag of old was, but what was it?

For me its seems to be Modern Railways / Trains Illustrated followed by Motive Power

Edited by 18B

Yes, I treasure my tatty collection ofTI's/MR's from the late 50's and early 60's. This is the period I model and (almost) remember and these mags did a better job than Railway Magazine in my opinion of showing the contemporary scene.

Ed

• 4 years later...

Modelling Railways Illustrated.  Like MRJ but without rivet-counting  (though MRJ has improved no end in recent years IMO).

Sadly the magnificent MRI declined badly in the last year or so of its life, once it changed ownership and the founding fathers had moved to pastures new.

Sadly the magnificent MRI declined badly in the last year or so of its life, once it changed ownership and the founding fathers had moved to pastures new.

MORILL suffered badly from the sale to its last owner. Jim Wood, the editor, had an absolute nightmare of a job trying to hold it together, in the later issues without pay. A really nice bloke, he was well shafted. It didn't stop him coming up with an alternative concept for a web-based magazine that was probably 20 years ahead of its time. Sadly, nothing came of this. 

That said, I know many of the articles I wrote for it simply aren't necessary nowadays thanks to much improved RTR and a vastly wider selection of products available. Had the magazine continued, it would have been a very different beast by now simply because the hobby evolves. 

Back in 1981, when the railways seemed to hold more interest to me than they do now, the new "Rail Enthusiast" magazine appeared on the shelves. The way in which it was written struck more of a chord with me than the offerings of Railway Magazine, Railway World or Modern Railways. In those days, Rail Enthusiast only appeared every two months, and each new issue was eagerly awaited. When it arrived, I would walk back to school with the magazine open in front of me, not dissimilar to the modern day "smartphone zombies".

Some years later it became "Rail" and went down the slope of being political, so I gave up with it.

• RMweb Gold

Back in 1981, when the railways seemed to hold more interest to me than they do now, the new "Rail Enthusiast" magazine appeared on the shelves. The way in which it was written struck more of a chord with me than the offerings of Railway Magazine, Railway World or Modern Railways. In those days, Rail Enthusiast only appeared every two months, and each new issue was eagerly awaited. When it arrived, I would walk back to school with the magazine open in front of me, not dissimilar to the modern day "smartphone zombies".

Some years later it became "Rail" and went down the slope of being political, so I gave up with it.

Yes, it was a highlight for me in the mid-late 80s, when I was a spotter and a bit of a basher. Weren't there yellow pages with wacky loco workings and reallocations?

Yes, it was a highlight for me in the mid-late 80s, when I was a spotter and a bit of a basher. Weren't there yellow pages with wacky loco workings and reallocations?

Ahh - the yellow pages of Rail Enthusiast. As I recall, this was where the loco transfers were listed, though I stand to be corrected.