• RMweb Gold

The delights of a Class 387/1. Hopefully soon to be experienced by the commuters of Slough, Maidenhead, Twyford, Reading and further afield.

Commuters from Slough and Maidenhead already can, Peter. The electric service from Maidenhead started a couple of weeks ago as per my post #3331.

• RMweb Gold

My cushion is built-in.

You're lucky. After my last operation, they took my built-in cushion away and I have to be careful how I sit, because it can be rather painful.

I found the seats quite firm; ie "hard".

You can almost certainly put the blame for that on modern day fire standards.

I wouldn't expect the seats on the 345s to be any better, given the standards that will be imposed by TfL (assuming you are lucky enough to actually get a seat at all).

Jim

I don't believe it's fire regulations. It's still possible to have a comfortable seat that complies with modern fire regs. It's just that they cost a bit more than those horrible things, and we have to buy the cheapest even if it's a false economy.

The seats we buy in this country seem to be designed to encourage car travel.

• RMweb Gold

You can almost certainly put the blame for that on modern day fire standards.

I wouldn't expect the seats on the 345s to be any better, given the standards that will be imposed by TfL (assuming you are lucky enough to actually get a seat at all).

Jim

I suspect the seats on the 345 are likely to be a lot worse than the 387's judging by recent sub-surface line LUL stock as the design of the 345 seems to make no concessions at all to a journey length greatly exceeding that of a quick dap round the Circle Line (such as it is nowadays).

332s would never run through the Crossrail tunnels (at least in passenger service) because the door positions are different from the Crossrail stock so they wouldn't line up with the platform screen doors. 

Not a problem if you don't stop at the stations with screens, which they might want to do.

I found the seats quite firm; ie "hard".

I had a ride on one last Tuesday, whilst I agree that the seats were firm, I didn't necessarily find them uncomfortable, they would be okay for a Reading to Paddington Stopper, but the extra distance to Oxford might result in a numb behind I feel.

In other electrification news, the old London end gantry at Swindon has been removed and replaced with a new cantilever structure. Also, I saw there was some wiring teams in the Kennett Bridge Junction area on Sunday Evening working on the Relief Lines

Simon 

• RMweb Gold

A comparison at Compton Beauchamp. Apologies if I've posted the first one before. Shows the continuing haphazard progress of mast and arm installation

May 7th

Evening Electrification Progress by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

June 3rd

Champions League Special by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

Almost exactly halfway between Knighton Crossing (site of) and Ashbury Crossing (site of).  Note the bases that are visible on the Up side (the left side of the railway) are set back a  long way from the cess a few on that side are even further set back and are right at the base of the embankment, presumably to keep the site of the former Up Goods clear as it's used for vehicular access.

Note the bases that are visible on the Up side (the left side of the railway) are set back a  long way from the cess a few on that side are even further set back and are right at the base of the embankment, presumably to keep the site of the former Up Goods clear as it's used for vehicular access.

More likely in my experience that there is a track drain they wanted to put the foundations through just outside the line of the S&T route.

• RMweb Premium

The 387 fleet seems to be building up, there were two, along with one of those white sets with the pink scribbles, at the west end of North Pole; three on the West Ealing sidings, three in the Reading depot sidings, and several paired together in circulation between Maidenhead and Paddington. I notice that they still haven't wired up platforms 1 & 2 at Paddington.

• Like 1

Some of the fittings look to be going up, and some associated modifications to the canopy have been done outside the overall roof on 1 & 2. Haven't noticed anything inside yet, but I haven't been looking either.

• RMweb Premium

Just audible last night was the sound of pile driving which I assume was on the railway (NR website says Chippenham B&Q to Thingley [Thingley East to Thingley Junction in railway terms] is this weeks work site). I'm a mile and a half away, and I could only just hear it, but maybe this work will let them join-up the odd groups of 3 and 4 masts which are currently standing.

It was the glorious moonlit sight and sound of a low level pair of RAF Hercules swooping past that had got me to the open window, just in case anyone was wondering!  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Noted today that catenary appears to be complete on both running lines over the flyover west of Reading station although the 25kv feeder has not yet been installed.  As far as I could see through the flyover (and further west) wiring is fairly complete on all other running lines west of the site of Reading West Jcn.

Almost exactly halfway between Knighton Crossing (site of) and Ashbury Crossing (site of).  Note the bases that are visible on the Up side (the left side of the railway) are set back a  long way from the cess a few on that side are even further set back and are right at the base of the embankment, presumably to keep the site of the former Up Goods clear as it's used for vehicular access.

I know it's been said before, but those masts and spans could survive a nuclear war...     Why is the mast about 2 metres taller than it needs to be?    With thousands of masts, that's a lot of steel...

Bill

I know it's been said before, but those masts and spans could survive a nuclear war... Why is the mast about 2 metres taller than it needs to be? With thousands of masts, that's a lot of steel...

Bill

Because a cable will be fitted to the top of it. It's the height it needs to be.

Though there will be an element of standard components meaning that sometimes you use the a size up. With autotransformer feeding an additional cable at 25kV is installed, and that is generally put at a greater height than the stuff that interfaces with the pantograph.

The 25kV ATF cable does go up there, but all it has to be is sufficiently clear of the main bits ofthe OLE to not present a hazard to anyone working on them, as it is likely to be still live when the contact wire for the adjacent running line is isolated and earthed. But, the top extention of the OLE mast could have been made from a much lighter section, bolted onto the mast lower down, just as has been done where older OLE has been upgraded to ATF feeding.

Of course, they could have simply put the ATF cable down in a ground level trough route, just like the 33kV distribution cables on the ex-Southern network have been since the conductor rail was installed.

Jim