• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I believe the OLE is fit for use, but due to Steventon Class 80x worked trains have to pan down at Foxhall and Pan Up at Steventon.

Simon

Although it has just been reported on the Class 800 thread that all (GWR?) IETs are now restricted to diesel power only.

Made a trip from Yatton to Bath today, outward was a standard HST set on a Paignton-Paddington service, return was a first trip on an 800 (314) from Bath to BTM and then a 166 turbo from BTM to Yatton.

Very impressed with quietness and comfort for the 10 minute jaunt from Bath to Bristol, although a couple of the party (taller-built than myself) I was travelling with commented on the upright seat backs.

The Turbo was fairly heavily loaded but not standing; when we got seated at BTM the scrolling display read 'This train is now approaching Bristol Temple Meads. Please be careful of the step from the train to the platform. Change here for the connecting bus service to Bristol International Airport.' 20 or so minutes later, when we pulled into Yatton, the same message was still merrily scrolling across...

Edited by talisman56

Although it has just been reported on the Class 800 thread that all (GWR?) IETs are now restricted to diesel power only.

I posted before I heard about the diesel restriction, but when the general restriction is lifted, the Stevenson one will still apply.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

That was only for yesterday (Thu). Hitachi requested all 80x run on diesel power only due to concerns over the VCBs.

That blanket restriction now appears to have been removed.

There’s trouble on the GWML again today. damaged OLE in the Ladbroke Grove area has caused chaos and stopped all trains out of Paddington.

Steve Wright was saying on the radio he was caught up in it and had to detrain

As I was waiting outside Paddington this morning just on 7 am, there was a single Class 800 departed (not sure which service) but it was on diesel power.

Perhaps they should have stuck with diesels and forgot electrics!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Noted yesterday - various portal structures in place and seemingly fitted out on the Main Lines between Hayes and Southall West Jcn although the catenary looks to be still attached to the headspans.  Couldn't see what is happening on the Reliefs as were were on the Up Relief and our return trip on the Down Main was after dark.

The even worse than worse looking ohle has now appeared in the approach to the Crossrail tunnel at Royal Oak as the masts and girder work look to be to GWML style/'robustness' but the catenary is strung on the hideously complicated arrangement used on the adjacent GWML - if you think Series 1 looks overdone just wait 'til you see this lot!

• RMweb Premium

Great flourish of publicity trumpets on News of the West last night for passenger carrying trains arriving at Swindon from the London side powered from the overhead, up trains still running on diesel for at least today.

Great flourish of publicity trumpets on News of the West last night for passenger carrying trains arriving at Swindon from the London side powered from the overhead, up trains still running on diesel for at least today.

Sunday Evening should see Up trains using electric as well (well at least stopping trains).

Simon

Noted yesterday - various portal structures in place and seemingly fitted out on the Main Lines between Hayes and Southall West Jcn although the catenary looks to be still attached to the headspans.  Couldn't see what is happening on the Reliefs as were were on the Up Relief and our return trip on the Down Main was after dark.

The even worse than worse looking ohle has now appeared in the approach to the Crossrail tunnel at Royal Oak as the masts and girder work look to be to GWML style/'robustness' but the catenary is strung on the hideously complicated arrangement used on the adjacent GWML - if you think Series 1 looks overdone just wait 'til you see this lot!

I read this as I came past the Crossrail junction on my way into Paddington this morning so was rather well placed. Their OLE looks much closer to Swiss practice and certainly could not be described as even heavier than the GWML's structures. On the contrary, it is much nearer to traditional BR era practice.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I read this as I came past the Crossrail junction on my way into Paddington this morning so was rather well placed. Their OLE looks much closer to Swiss practice and certainly could not be described as even heavier than the GWML's structures. On the contrary, it is much nearer to traditional BR era practice.

Jim

But using GWML pattern masts Jim - there's some heavy metalwork holding up some of it.  The actual catenary and attachment to register arms etc looks to be exactly the same as on the adjacent lines in/out of Paddington so a lot more 'busy' than both catenary and contact wire attached to the one register arm on Series 1 catenary.

• RMweb Gold

So, do we know if the section affected will eventually be changed to a design that does not cause such widespread damage in future, or is that the final, planned state?

See post 5091 above Mike.  I recall seeing something somewhere in some of the early GWML electrification detail that portals would replace headspans throughout between Acton and Airport Jcn.  Various bits and pieces have already been done but seemingly more on a piecemeal basis rather than an organised campaign approach of starting at one end and working through to the other end.  The fact that they now appear to be tackling the section on the Main Lines between Hayes and Southall West Jcn gives me cause for hope that it might be the seeds of a systematic approach?

I noticed on Thursday that various small components had been renewed in the ohle on the Up Main immediately west of Ealing Broadway so I wonder if some things are now subject to more wear and tear due to more, and much faster, electric trains running over that stretch?

?I noticed on Thursday that various small components had been renewed in the ohle on the Up Main immediately west of Ealing Broadway so I wonder if some things are now subject to more wear and tear due to more, and much faster, electric trains running over that stretch?

The new feeder station opposite North Pole delivers a much higher short circuit current than the old one at OOC, so the old mk3 OLE has to be upgraded to make it withstand that.

I could be wrong, but I don't think t additional wear will have too much impact yet. Obviously there will be some, but AIUI the wires have a pretty long lifespan on a highly trafficked route, so the easy life they had leading up to the new services means they'll have been pretty much brand new in wear terms when the 387s were introduced.

• 2 weeks later...