The Black Hats Workbench - Duke of York

Hello all,

Welcome to my workbench thread that I have been meaning to start for sometime. The Workbench will be featuring pictures, reviews of engines I have, and reports on work I have done to some of the engines and rolling stock in my collection.

Most of my stock is made from RTR companies, predominantly the main two - Bachmann and Hornby. Heljan once made a forray with class 47s before these were sold on before Bachmanns arrived. At present I dont have much Heljan, the engines they have made dont fit with my plans for a modern day take on my hometowns railway station, with some added twist in history to portray what I would love it to have become had everything worked right. Sadly, the case is that it still has lots of potential, but little hope of realising this. New entrants Realtrack have arrived on the scene with their class 144. No doubt as other units follow, more of their range will be added.

post-7347-0-71055800-1385333294_thumb.jpg

The layout, "Bishop Auckland" can be seen above. It is a layout of the station, built with a new preserved line station. Most trains run round to then return to their respective networks, but I have inclulded a few that pass through being mainly freight. There is some precedence for this as the line recently has had a coal flow and stone was planned. The link to the lines page here is below, but does need updating. It has not been out on the circuit much owing to it growing in size and really does need a team behind it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14497-bishop-auckland/

I hope you enjoy the pictures of the engines I have updated and done myself. Most were repaints to start with, but with DCC sound and the desire for greater accuracy, this has grown to start to include weathering and adapting stock and engines to suit my own use. I am happy to share how I have stubled across such methods, and my reasoning behind some creations. Hope you enjoy it all!

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

Some of my first repaints came from wanting to model that which was on the mainline. A returned pair of Bachmann class 37s picked up at Warley soon did the trick and were repainted into DRS blue. These worked quite some time before then being sold on. My first layout made use of having a variety of stock. It was well thought out and had a lot to offer the prospective viewer, but my wodwork skills were not superb, the layout could have been earthquake proof as the whole thing wobbled if touched. Should the ground have moved, the layout would have remained still. Joins between the boards and trackwork became an issue, the ballast and joins were something I had yet to master. Eventually it went the distance, replaced by what I have today.

One idea for my old layout was to encourage others to have a go, by letting them choose which engines to bring on. At this time trains were for entertainment, the loading chute at my quarry for actually loading the wagons on the layout went down great with kids and adults alike, particularly those adults impressed with the way the whole thing was put together using plastic card tubing and a bicycle headlight reflector case for the funnel. The layout did however have one issue. I made it with some gradients to make it more interesting. It meant the Bachmann 08s struggled with pulling the loaded wagons back to the reception sidings. The answer was a stronger model, but what type. The solution came in a spare Bachmann 25, which soon was repainted into Transrail grey, the story being it was brought out of departmenal service in Scotland for the job in the north east.

post-7347-0-60328200-1385335359.jpg

post-7347-0-88034200-1385335396.jpg

As a result one of my first repaints was completed and in use. I had researched where engines were found and the story behind it was fairly plausable. It did look faily accuarte along side other engines on display.

It did however, spur me on to do more. So the idea came that along with them choosing engines to appear, so some would be ficticious engines, even if some didnt notice, alongside favourites like Flying Scotsmann, Britannia, etc.

post-7347-0-96412300-1385335525.jpg

One of the first was to do an 08 in north east, Loadhaul colours. Cast plates were ordered for the engine, named Guide Dog, and the idea evolved so that donations for selections could be asked and then go to charities linked to engines on display. Actually, no 08 did recieve Loadhaul colours. They remained in their previous liveries the whole time till EWS came with a paintbrush.

But thats it from the archives on these for the moment. Its time to start the thread with a taste of what I've been up to recently!

So, as a bit of a appertiser to engines being worked on recently, I will leave a few pictures of engines almost completed and ready to be allowed 'into traffic'.

I have some pictures of the work done to these, so will update the thread when time and chance allows.

post-7347-0-46910500-1385336050.jpg

Britannia class  - 70013 Oliver Cromwell

post-7347-0-21866100-1385336093.jpg

Bachmann 47, in Res - 47790 Saint David / Dewi Sant.

post-7347-0-41236100-1385336168.jpg

And finally a photo of work being done to turn Kidwelly Castle into 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe.

Hope that gets you interested...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Its been a while so Im taking the time to add to this page. First of all, one engine thats involved a conversion.

5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe has been a regular performer since taking to the rails in recent years. Its track record an performances are impressive and the crew at Tysley have one of the most perfec records and reputations with this machine on the mainline. Its in the same leage as Ian Rileys Black 5s and Camerons Union of South Africa.

Despite my North Eastern preferences I really have a massive soft spot for Western region thinking. I love the same standardisation that was apparent around the same time as it was up north, and how it continued unabated after grouping, much like Darlingtons drawing office while Gresley kept tinkering with other stuff.

As a result, my line has a Pannier and a Castle already with a City having joined them, obviously Truro. However, having seen 5043 a model was needed. This meant a conversion of the chimney from Kidwelly Castle and one was duly purchased.

post-7347-0-57062700-1390259197.jpg

Here the engine is seen before conversion.

post-7347-0-35475500-1390259455.jpg

Here the chimney is filed away. Daylight seen underneath.

post-7347-0-38415000-1390259513.jpg

It wasnt long before the filing saw the original chimney off. Pictures of mine taken when seeing the Earl at York, were used to position the chimney to the right place. Further filing of the chimney was needed so it sat right on the engine.

Pictures of York can be seen here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p48253346

post-7347-0-96675600-1390259693.jpg

Eventually the chimney was glued into place. Some nice superglue did the trick for this. As the Earl is also spotless, a coat of varnish was given to bring out the gloss and paint.

Will post a photo of the engine completed soon.

• Like 2

Okay, so with pictures of the Castle due soon. Time to show progress on another engine that recently has been added to the fleet on Bishop Auckland.

Im quite interested in how engines would look in different guises. One aspect of this is some engines being outshopped by companies in liveries where they could have been thought out better. For the most part, companies do well, but there are some out there that make you think otherwise. Silverlink livery, the current East Coast colours or 57601 in WCRC with the half yellow front when full yellow would have been better.

In part it makes me think of how some classes could have been used had their futures worked out differently. One that Ive done before is a class 50 in Regional Railways, but this time my attention turns to a class 57.

At one point EWS was doing well in the Freight sector and driving progress for wanting a mail, or fast freight service. Here a dual purpose engine would have gone well alongside class 67. At least thats what the history will be when written. So, my 57614 is such a machine. Part of a batch that was ordered, with the uprated engine, then part cancelled after orders for the service didnt come off.

With EWS being an attractive livery I think, certainly having a corporate uniformity about it, I wondered what it would be like for a class 57 to bear the lightening stripe of the 66 and 67 being a GM machine too.

So, this is my take on it and the modification to a Bachmann 57.

post-7347-0-01861300-1390767059.jpg

The donor engine for the project.

post-7347-0-65116800-1390767084.jpg

The engine is rubbed down and cleared of nameplates, branding that would show through.

post-7347-0-70451400-1390767102.jpg

The engine is given its first coat of paint... details like the grills and tops have been touched as EWS machines have such areas as black.

post-7347-0-97870600-1390767152.jpg

Another view of the first coat. Areas such as the yellow on the front could have been masked off but were to be cleared up later.

post-7347-0-56108900-1390767272.jpg

Here the other end and the piping has been nipped by the brush too. Still, helps when not doing this late into the night. Again, to be cleaned up later.

But as for how it stands at the moment...

post-7347-0-49557500-1390767524.jpg

thats closer to the finished article.

Will post more details of the conversion soon....

• Like 3

Following on from yesterday....

post-7347-0-53131800-1390821158.jpg

Here the masking tape is applied to 57614. The area of the bodyside to be masked off was worked out by measuring the side of a class 66 from Bachmann and the Hornby new 67. This gave me the dimensions of the stripe and the correct angle for the lightening zig zag, using a protractor. Easier on the 57 to line out than the corrogated sides of the other GM machines.

post-7347-0-86146900-1390821286.jpg

Here the 57 has had one side painted. The cream/gold of the stripe goes to the end of the bodywork on the 66 and 67 so I used the same methodology for the 57.

post-7347-0-28582500-1390821368.jpg

post-7347-0-23617300-1390821464.jpg

In order to check this, the tape was removed and edges tidied up.

The black areas on the grills, and ducts of the 57 were now all painted black as per EWS livery. The only areas silver are the silencers on the top. To match this the metal grills on the roof for the radiators were now masked off and painted black too.

post-7347-0-72441200-1390821531.jpg

The result now sees 57614 starting to look akin to its EWS stablemate 66200.

More to follow....

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Its been a while since I was on this. There have been a few conversions to engines and stock that have taken place. Oddly enough 57614 is still to finish with some lining out but its not that much overall. Its been on the list of things to do.

Engines that have come to be given attention are an L1 which has now become a Newby/Thompson L4. The changes being a new smokebox door in NER style, as well as fitting out with some mod cons, like AWS signalling and an air brake when I get round to ordering that and fitting it. Its not just steam, a Bachmann Res 47 has been worked on to become my favourite 47790 Saint David / Dewi Sant. No prizes for guessing why... as well as this, there are projects to alter a coach to a observation saloon, as well as changes to the rolling stock to model a WCRC rake.

The main reason to return this thread to life is due to a current conversion which is taking place.

This concerns a recently purchased Gresley P2 in LNER green as 2001 Cock of the North. I have done some renumberings to engines of the past. 60540 Orpheus and 60164 Northern Star are my two stable mates in a form of apple green, whether it be Doncaster or Darlington but are both lined out as if they were in BR Green. Instead of this, I have decided on a full repaint and alteration to the P2 I have for this - I have another given the bargin TTS comes at to keep running as 2001. This will see the P2 move into Brunswick Green, although I am also changing the tender body so that it runs with a corridor connection.

Photos of the start of this work are below....

post-7347-0-06158300-1413926328.jpg

post-7347-0-21125400-1413926347_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-38712900-1413926362_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-32554900-1413926378_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-32952400-1413926448_thumb.jpg

Hope you find the changes interesting. Will give further updates on it all soon.

• Like 4

Hello all,

A further update on the other Earl.... since as though Ive already got 5043 Earl of Mount Edcumbe all done up. More on that in a day or two...

post-7347-0-30785700-1414449480_thumb.jpg

The Earl here can be seen having got a full coat of BR Brunswick Green. I have used Railmatch paints for this and the results are good.

post-7347-0-36395700-1414449522_thumb.jpg

However, given the fact that the engine is going BR Green, it needs changes to be made to the front to make the engine more uniform with the rest of the fleet. The lamp bracket has been filed away and as a result left somewhere for the smokebox plate to go. This means a new bracket was needed and a hole was placed for one above the smokebox before the whistle. Im not sure what real effect this headboard might have on forcing up smoke before the chimney thus altering the clearance in traffic but for now Im saying the effect is negligable or it improved it. Eitherway, theres little chance of finding out.

post-7347-0-08663600-1414449544_thumb.jpg

Here lining out of the Earl has been started. The tender has been painted to match.

post-7347-0-83542100-1414449588_thumb.jpg

Again another view of the engine almost lined out.

post-7347-0-54531000-1414449730_thumb.jpg

Here the whole engine is seen more or less lined out. Its a little dark due to being taken indoors with low wattage lights.

post-7347-0-19568600-1414449805_thumb.jpg

Finally a number. With the Earl lined out, 60603 was chosen, being that the engine is a new build. As such, it would follow that as a P2 it is the third, the replica Cock of the North being first, and Prince of Wales being second, or vice versa pending on when completed. It would make my engine the third P2. I worked out that the 6060X sequence was vacent between the LNER designs of A2 and W1 so presumed the P2 would have been fitted into that sequence.

post-7347-0-43114700-1414450005_thumb.jpg

Almost a portrait but the phone has gone funny. A close up of 60603 but it still needs some details to finish and a coat of varnish.

post-7347-0-56141600-1414450061_thumb.jpg

And finally a picture alongside 60009 Union of South Africa. One real, one not, but how many wont notice....

• Like 9

Hello all,

Thanks to Nelson and DorchesterCastle for the praise with regards the other earl. An update on 60603s progress as of today.

The engine has had its wheels touched up so they are black. The engine also has had a smokebox door numberplate fashioned and added where the filed down lamp bracket was giving it somewhere to stand. The Black plasticard of a order for transfers or plates was made to make the numberplate, and was really easy, so if anyones wanting to replicate the process thats what Id suggest.

As the engine is modern and a new build I have gone to the trouble of using modern warning flashes where the cantrail stripe would be for a diesel engine as other steam engines have to have to run today. There is also one on the smoke deflectors akin to where Olly Cromwell has his, so as such they are placed according to similar proto types. Because of the lining and number of transfers used, the engine has had a coat of varnish added too. This does make it rather shiney, but its a clean engine on the mainline you see today and as such fits in well. I couldnt risk leaving it as it was owing to likely damage when the engine was handled. It has turned the paintwork a little darker too, but overall it looks very good and similar to other engines in the same colours on the mainline, for example 60009 Union of South Africa.

Photos below show the engine nearing completion. It needs running in and some work done to the metal handrails and the tender wheels but as it is at the moment its very near finished.

post-7347-0-34183200-1414608048_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-90656100-1414608235_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-74611800-1414608292_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello all,

Thanks to Nelson and DorchesterCastle for the praise with regards the other earl. An update on 60603s progress as of today.

The engine has had its wheels touched up so they are black. The engine also has had a smokebox door numberplate fashioned and added where the filed down lamp bracket was giving it somewhere to stand. The Black plasticard of a order for transfers or plates was made to make the numberplate, and was really easy, so if anyones wanting to replicate the process thats what Id suggest.

As the engine is modern and a new build I have gone to the trouble of using modern warning flashes where the cantrail stripe would be for a diesel engine as other steam engines have to have to run today. There is also one on the smoke deflectors akin to where Olly Cromwell has his, so as such they are placed according to similar proto types. Because of the lining and number of transfers used, the engine has had a coat of varnish added too. This does make it rather shiney, but its a clean engine on the mainline you see today and as such fits in well. I couldnt risk leaving it as it was owing to likely damage when the engine was handled. It has turned the paintwork a little darker too, but overall it looks very good and similar to other engines in the same colours on the mainline, for example 60009 Union of South Africa.

Photos below show the engine nearing completion. It needs running in and some work done to the metal handrails and the tender wheels but as it is at the moment its very near finished.

attachicon.gifIMG_0125W.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0128W.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0129W.jpg

When I saw you were doing this in the P2 topic I had visions the nameplate would be halfway along the boiler! Good work - now you just need to get her 'out on the road in the direction of Perth'

Hello all,

The other Earl seems to be getting some attention. Some pictures today of the engine been taken to stand and pose on the layout.

The engine is all but 'commissioned into traffic' and so now is a good time to go through some of the other attentions to detail.

post-7347-0-73592200-1414687538_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-77543700-1414687652_thumb.jpg

Firstly the name - Eleventh Earl of Mar. I chose this for two main reasons. One the P2 class were all given Scottish names following the idea of them being designed for use North of the Border. As my engine is new build I wanted to emulate this with such a nod to the past. The new build engines have spurred me to think of what could be done if I did have enough to start my own new 'North Eastern Railway' company. Admit it, everyone who has a layout has their own company on paper with engines they own outright.

As such the P2 design gets a lot of interest in a case of what could have been - but this is not a case for the Gresley vs Thompson debate. Rather, its a case of what I would like. I have admired the A1 Trusts achievements and work with Tornado, so much so that one of my first works 60164 was an A1 in Darlington green that went into late crest scheme. More on that engine soon. As a result I noticed how they swapped the name from Scottish to Welsh, for the idea of naming their engine after Prince Charles turning 65. Really it was a PR stunt to get the project launched but for me gave away the idea of the engine being linked to the past. My engine would still maintain that link. However needed a name. I settled on Eleventh Earl of Mar has he was an Earl in the Jacobite rising of 1745, whos son went off to join the campaign. It was a title that matched the other Scottish themed names P2s carried given its name is enhanced by the number and peerage. However, it is also a track from the Genesis album, Wind and Wuthering (1977) so gives the name and title a double meaning which I quite like. It sounds genuinely Scottish and so could pass off as being so, but anyone who likes Progressive Rock will most likely think of the Genesis first.

post-7347-0-88825000-1414688394_thumb.jpg

The order for the nameplate was placed in advance of the TTS sound model being made, with Narrow Planet. I decided that the TTS sound would be basic enough for the Earl and that Hornby would most likely make a decent attempt at this. Given a lot of sounds on steam can be generic in that steam generally sounds the same then this would be fine. For the core of my model fleet I use Howes chips that have the accuracy of chuff rates and Bryans work here is the highest standard in my opinion. I have to give Narrow Planet credit. The service was indeed well priced, and communication was excellent. I would rate them as brilliant for the bespoke nature of wanting something different. The picture above shows the order having been arrived and the plate ready for fitting.

post-7347-0-90324500-1414688640_thumb.jpg

As my engine is new build I decided to change the tender. A Hornby tender with corridor connection that makes access to the support coach easier was duly purchased and adapted for use. The connection needed some filing down given the overhang, but otherwise it fits on fine. I will have to lightly use something to get the tender body down to the chassis, as there is nothing holding it in place at present. That is a small issue. The wheels on the tender still need painting black.  

post-7347-0-64804300-1414688781_thumb.jpg

A quick look at the front, with the 60603 number plate attached and a custom plate from the Narrow Planet order, being for the 'North Eastern Principal'. I would think some pipework and items will be added to the front and that its unlikely this engine would double head much!

post-7347-0-72366900-1414688948_thumb.jpg

So there 'he' is (I dont call engines with an obvious male name shes...) and as such is almost ready for its next work. I would think the engine does make an appearance soon at an exhibtion, as my layout is being prepared for a return to the circuit.

Hope thats been entertaining....

Theres more work on other novel engines coming soon that have made their way to being built for my new North Eastern Railway.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

With the other Earl looking fairly complete overall, attention has turned to the rest of the steam fleet.

This means embellishments and lots of them. With the order for the Narrow Planet nameplates for Eleventh Earl of Mar came requests for different headboards all of which were done and duly delivered. It gave me the chance to reform the idea of how some services on my branch would run, with each stock given a name for most times when green engines would be rostered.

This has seen some headboards need to be painted, prepared and then fitted to the various steam engines, most of which are mainline engines also.

post-7347-0-28116700-1415228660_thumb.jpg

Have to say this photo is a little blurry, due to light and taken on a phone, but it gives an impression.

As for whats fitted:

60009 - (purple) Prince Palatine Pullman
46115 and 71000 - (Black) The Eboracvm Expedition
70013 and 45305 - (Black) The Northumbrian
60164 - (Blue) The Northumbrian
60603 and 44871 - (Black) The North Eastern Principal
60532 and 5043 - (Black) The North East Envoy
2001 and 60540 - (Black) The Dalesman
67801 - (Black) The Stainmore Limited
61264 - (Blue) The Good Endeavour

34064 - (Black) The Packett Limited

37405 - (Black) The Weird Ale Wanderer

As my layout has a preserved railway operating into the station at one end, and the network running in from another, its not just steam that have been given embellishments. Fighting the case for the diesels is 37405 complete with Thornaby Kingfisher for running a service in the north east, as at the time they were used for the S+C and rumours were rife that other lines were proposed to, including Newcastle to Carlisle.

Here, its seen prepared to work a tour onto the line when the need arrises.

post-7347-0-39670300-1415229006_thumb.jpg

More soon...

Especially those who notice things interesting with some of the numbers written above!!

EDIT: 34046 and headboard added to list.

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just an update on one of the projects mentioned above that is still in the cue to be completed. Its actually over taken by a few other ones that have been done, so will no doubt be over shaddowed here too.

The engine in question here is 57614 an EWS class 57 done for something else to carry the lightening stripe style livery. The idea was that with class 67 being deployed to Thunderbird duties and contract work for sleepers and franchise locomotive haulage, some of the last 47s on EWS's books were converted to class 57 for charter work, alongside stock moves, and light freightwork.

These photos show the work done to bring the extra details and tidy up the paint job given.

post-7347-0-29471700-1416151007.jpg

Here 57614 is given transfers and carrys its number.

post-7347-0-02947400-1416151239.jpg

Here its seen alongside a class 66 for comparrison.

post-7347-0-09721700-1416151274.jpg

post-7347-0-54171900-1416151301.jpg

Here the bottom of the bodyside is masked off for the gold reflection stripe.

post-7347-0-35004300-1416151338.jpg

With those done, the engine poses in the sunshine albeit on its side.

post-7347-0-11861300-1416151385.jpg

The engine was then chipped with sound and taken on a test run down at a freinds layout. You can see the cantrail strips have been added as well, but these have worked loose.

Work to finish this will see the cantrail strips reapplied where needed and then varnished. Front transfers are also needed. There is little work to do but its been on the list for completion for a while, but other projects have been started and undertaken while it sits there. Im going to be finishing off this engine soon.

Meanwhile, one of the other projects comes next. 34046 Braunton!

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

So Braunton. A West Country class locomotive. Hmm.... Southern Region.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of the Southern region. A lot of the little companies before grouping just look small compared with the leviathan of the North East Railway we 'ad up n'rth. A lot of the designs just dont look right to start with. All this talk of Greyhounds? Thats a dog that we call whippets mate. The T9, T3, even things like the Radial tank. No thanks, you can keep them, but unfortunately model companies have followed the trend of making a range as result seen all the iccle engines commissioned by shops and the like. If thats your stuff then Im pleased, its your choice, your interest and plenty others like it too. For me, seeing the J21, J27 and Q6 it makes me wonder how anything down there actually worked. True, not all north east, were sublimely fantastic but when everyone starts frothing about a Wainwright C-class from Bachmann, my response was that its nowt compared to the J21 - ours is quainter, more well drawn out, its powerful, reliable and ran on a line over Stainmore that makes a freight train to Kent or wherever look like a practice run. Even after grouping design Southern designs still dont me that interested. Lord Nelsons only good thing are the names, Schools might be powerful and quick but still look bloody rubbish (check out a D49 for a nice 4-4-0) and the S15 forever makes me think of the top of rice pudding.

Anyway, Braunton....

The West Country class is one that I quite like. The rebuilt version anyway, for me they at least get somewhere towards being more being of what Id expect an engine of the time to be. Being someone thats modelling preservation I cant flood my line with Eastern Region examples if Im being fairly accurate, but with new build J39s and P2s for me thats not always an issue. Still, I was looking for an engine to represent the Southern region and all their followers that would take issue with my general view aforementioned. Then amongst the Eastern region engines, the BR standards, the West Country would run in, and be the engine off region that has been seen since thats the way preservation panned out.

So Braunton, anyway....

Chance came across a cheap DCC sound fitted West Country reduced because of a damaged box that had nothing really wrong with it, save a torn label. The reduction was significant. This had been on the list of engines planned, but the chance was too good to pass up. Duly, the engine was purchased, but which one would it become. I settled on the idea that I would like to model Braunton. I have quite a lot of the engines that run on the WCRC safety case! Either their own engines like 46115, but more of engines known to be hired in such as 70013, 45305, 44871 and 5043. I had seen footage of Braunton working on the mainline and seemed impressed, so thought this would work out well. Matters then were soon dashed when the tender type was wrong. I checked on here about it, but no. Braunton ran with an original Merchant Tender from 35027 Port Line when completed as its original type was scrapped and a one that was uncommon. Worst still, its not made yet, and it runs like this on the mainline. That left the idea of having to model 34101 Hartland which is in bits and has been for a while on the NYMR, or another one. Hartland has been a stelwart for the NYMR but not always one of the best engines there, which is hard when WCs are known for slipping and your up (or you were) against Blue Peter, Gresley and some nice freight machines like a Black 5, WD, Q6. Although Harland reliable was Id oddly look forward to its return having preference for that over the S15 and Schools based there and the idea that preservation has seen types move about pending on where work is. 

So... Got to be Braunton.

I decided that I was going to model Braunton. I had the idea of swapping the tops for the tenders, but then found they were the wrong length. That would mean converting a tender over to DCC sound, from the Merchant Navy - if it could be done I could model Braunton pre-mainline commissioning which for the time frame I am running from 2000 ish to 2010 ish would be more in keeping. A merchant tender at the time appeared on ebay, again, purchase made. With the tender here it was a chance to take it appart and see how it might fit together.

post-7347-0-27920600-1416165130_thumb.jpg

Here the tenders are seen alongside each other. The rear one clearly longer but the one needed. Looking at them closely, I thought I could do what was needed.

post-7347-0-33380600-1416165187_thumb.jpg

The chassis of the tenders underneath was complex. The Merchant had screws to couple the top down but on the West Country these were not there. The weights were the same shape and could be transfered over, but it would make the Merc top more unstable. Still, this could be fixed down.

post-7347-0-36949800-1416165443_thumb.jpg

Underneath the Merch tender, the conections to the locomotive for pick ups were basically ripped out. Ensuring no damage to the pick ups in the tender. It left a nice plastic rod for the locomotive coupling to be put with, no awkward screw there from now on.

post-7347-0-51021900-1416165552_thumb.jpg

The sound chassis was checked. It was easier to leave this together and take out the connecting screws in the merchant tender to make space.

post-7347-0-39782000-1416165696_thumb.jpg

Here the Merch tender can be seen with the screw columns in place, but note the hole on the right. I had filed a rectangular hole into the chassis for where the white block connector for the dcc system on the engine would go.

post-7347-0-86234400-1416165774_thumb.jpg

The connectors on the chassis where then cut and filed down. That left a smooth top for the placement of the weight of the WC tender base onto the Merchant tender base.

post-7347-0-17486400-1416165832_thumb.jpg

The white block was fitted into the engine and attached. To get the WC weight in place and connected I needed to resolder the wires to the tender pick ups. Again RM Web and its memberships came to the rescue, with SR man and others giving advice on best practice.

After this, the engine was given a DCC sound test run and fired up well. All systems were working so next was time for the cosmettic conversion to 34046 Brauntaon.

More on that soon!!

I've got to say I absolutely love how the 57 has come out! Sometimes it's the fictional liveries which I find look really spectacular on an engine, as long as it's done properly; and it certainly has worked here.

Best of luck with the cosmetic part of Braunton as well!

Edited by DorchesterCastle

Thanks. I treid using those new Hornby paints on this one and did find that because the paint was rather more fluid than I was thinking that they took a lot more to paint the engines with a good finish. As a result this one doesnt stand out as the best, but is okay overall. Its appearance on the layout would be to be the head of some passenger services or light freight work, so it should throw off the regular anoracks who probably will say "Ive seen that at ........"

Hello all,

More news on Braunton.

With the engine tested and the wiring aranged that it could be stored and used in a manner that wouldnt cause much damage to the engine, it was time to get to grips with the changes in the engines identity.

post-7347-0-22706700-1416335927_thumb.jpg

First of all, the tender top was re-attached and the various issues were checked and looked into. Here the tender is matched to the engine giving the right shape, but details are off.

post-7347-0-15315800-1416336026_thumb.jpg

First of all the engines nameplates. These would be easy to start to change the idenity - or so I thought. Wrong again. Braunton's nameplates have green, not black painted underneath. It would mean these would have to be touched up before applying. Also the "West Country Class" plate underneath needed attaching, so when the paint was drying this was put on. I did wonder about bothering, who on earth would check that much, but when the paint was needed, this made it far easier than having to conventionally glue the plate down as the entire surface would be wet. Plates painted, stuck down. Job done.

post-7347-0-21526600-1416336168_thumb.jpg

Looking at the difference between the two types of lining made me realise that there would be issues. First of all, Braunton is done with its cab lining at the same level to that of the tender. Its odd to see it down this far on a Merchant Navy tender, but with Braunton being West Country, the lining on these was usually the same height. So, it meant that the tender lining needed replacement. It also saw that to match the colour and thickness in the printing, that the loco needed relining too. Differences and changes to detail in Hornbys technique over 10 years here can be seen clearly.

post-7347-0-41485800-1416336326_thumb.jpg

Another view of the cab and the lining on the cabside and tender.

post-7347-0-51539700-1416336342_thumb.jpg

To check the name plates were right length they were placed up alongside the current nameplate on the engine. I wondered if they might need to be shorterned but were the same length.

post-7347-0-29186700-1416336405_thumb.jpg

In order to put the plates onto the nameplate the original plate would need to be covered. This was done just using a black marker pen. These are wonderful to use over the need to carefully paint. You can use them in different thickness to add lining, or detail or like this to cover areas. In parts where the sides would be open, like a cab top, Id paint, but with this you can just shade it in. It stops the red being seen behind the stuck on plate, which would have been more noticeable, being behind the darker Braunton black nameplate.

post-7347-0-74494900-1416336554_thumb.jpg

Plate shaded, ready for the plate to be attached. The red icon underneath would be covered by the new plate, so I did not need to risk touching this and leaving traces of black marker on the running plate of the engine.

post-7347-0-37550000-1416336620_thumb.jpg

With the plates attached there was a new problem. The lining on the Merchant tender did not come off as easily as I hoped. With new Hornby printing you can just scrape the lining or number off with a blunt screwdriver, or something similar. Its a lot quicker. However the Merchant was being scratched. Using thinners and cotton buds removed the lining but in turn left white marks. As a result, the tender needed a coat of paint on the side to hide all this. Railmatch BR green was used and matched the locomotive very closely stopping the need for a full body repaint. The lining around the cabside number has been scratched away.

post-7347-0-63970900-1416336780_thumb.jpg

A view of this work from the rear of Braunton. White express lamps have been added to the front to. Sorry disks are just wrong....

post-7347-0-37526500-1416336911_thumb.jpg

Braunton then needed to be relined throughout. I thought that the lining on the runningplate would remain as it is. The lining on the tender due to transfers would be thicker than the engine by some degree, so neccesitated the whole engine being done.

post-7347-0-85152100-1416336971_thumb.jpg

The lining is applied. The second band was replaced owing to difficulties with a handrail knob.

post-7347-0-79028100-1416337036_thumb.jpg

More lining has been done to Braunton. Here you can see that the numbers of the engine have been taken off. This is merely just scratching and they come off easily. Any transfer like a crest of numbers can then be applied over this and rarely can be noticed. Bachmann engines in recent years have been similar.

post-7347-0-90288100-1416337116_thumb.jpg

Getting there. Braunton is lined up on the right hand side. Becasue the transfers were water transfered onto the engine a coat of varnish makes them stay down. It also makes them slightly duller and match the scheme. The paint underneath the engine also forms a uniform green overall, hiding more the change around the tender.

post-7347-0-03187700-1416337249_thumb.jpg

Finally Braunton almost finished. The front needs attention to be completed, with extra details in the post. The tender on the back is not attached properly hence the photo showing the lining on the tender out of its true postion.

Getting there.....

Braunton. Hmm... Southern Region. Good choice for the regions representative.

• Like 2

Hello all,

Class 57, 57614 has jumped the cue it seems and been finished. Following been touched up with the transfers thats needed to finish her, shes had some weathering done using brushes and budds.

post-7347-0-20396900-1416757558_thumb.jpg

The front of the class 57 prior to work starting.

post-7347-0-73535700-1416757623_thumb.jpg

Another view, but with transfers for the number above the headlights started.

post-7347-0-53810900-1416757659_thumb.jpg

The other end. Streaks of oil have been done by using thinners on the side and then being put on with paint and pen marker. Then rubbing and drying to the required effect.

post-7347-0-75226800-1416757730_thumb.jpg

Clean roof about to be treated with oil marks down the side. For the most part class 57s tend to keep a clean bodyside, but I thought with EWS not being the cleanest engines and not always given TLC that these would look grubbier than the rest of 57s should these have worked out as being ordered and then not really required as my history for the engine was worked out.

post-7347-0-15627700-1416757822_thumb.jpg

The roof here has been blackened, this with black paint, black marker and black wash. A combination is used and the crafted with cotton budds for impression of speed and weathering on the dirt itself.

post-7347-0-13461800-1416757969_thumb.jpg

Pictures tried to take in natural light, even with the sun setting. Here the engine is blacked and weathered. Transfers have been applied and the engine will remain nameless.

post-7347-0-42996400-1416758023_thumb.jpg

The front has been treated to pen. All Ive used is black marker to touch up the hand rails on the cabsides and the plates on doors. The backs of snowploughs were penned black before being glued on too. Its quicker, easier and gives you more control. This latter aspect evident from the dabs of black pen to the front hand rails, where it looks like paint has flaked away.

57614 now will be boxed pending its first outing at an exhibition layout after running in.

Time for an update on other engines that have been looked at, alongside and after the class 57.

Here, pictures from the work done to convert the Bachmann Res 47 to 47790 Dewi Sant / Saint David.

post-7347-0-03333900-1416862774.jpg

Here buffers have been taken off and removed.

post-7347-0-55070900-1416862825.jpg

The holes for buffers is filed larger to take the new buffers accurate for the engine.

post-7347-0-44129200-1416862875.jpg

A few coins hold one in place while the superglue dries!

post-7347-0-64406700-1416862959.jpg

Numbers and nameplate have been changed over.

post-7347-0-05375900-1416862991.jpg

Also picked our are the jumper cables which have been touched up with black. Snowploughs and pipework has all been fitted to the front.

More on this and other 47s soon...

• Like 1

Just quickly,

A few pictures of the class 47s being made mucky.

A lot of this has been done by painting and brushing with cotton buds. The main effects of this have been to blacken the roofs with black paint or black wash, which is great for weathering. Buds then take up the excess and allow for the appearance of streaks as if weathered. Dabbing arround the areas where you want significant deposits also works the same as an airbrush, even if Im looking into getting one.

post-7347-0-18297200-1416950891_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-76353500-1416950913_thumb.jpg

Cotton bud at the ready....

post-7347-0-22976200-1416950923_thumb.jpg

47790 has more details fitted, while the Intercity 47 is to get them. Again extra scratches and bodyside streaks of oil have been highlighted by using pen rather than brush or bud.

post-7347-0-74285200-1416950940_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-78253800-1416950951_thumb.jpg

The ploughs have been treated to black wash to dirty them up, and done in black behind.

More soon on the 47s being finished, also Braunton has had its detailed parts arrive, so can be completed. Will be updates on this as well as other projects like the other ficticious engines too soon.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Black Hat