Hornby 08 boxes

I was wondering has anybody tried removing the extra air compressor box from the Hornby 08, the one mounted just in front of the fuel tank? How difficult would it be? I require a certain combination of boxes and the only version produced so far is the sound equipped Europa version, which is a bit pricey for what I want.

Hi,

I'd need to strip one to be sure but recall all the boxes, air, vac, etc, are additions that have pins through the bodyshell to locate them. It's what's underneath that's the question, suspect when it is removed you'll find an area of flat plastic rather than the grilles.

What loco are you trying to do ?

Also this any use  http://www.Hornby.com/shop/sale/r3049-serco-0-6-0-diesel-shunter-class-08/

Stu

Hi,

I'd need to strip one to be sure but recall all the boxes, air, vac, etc, are additions that have pins through the bodyshell to locate them. It's what's underneath that's the question, suspect when it is removed you'll find an area of flat plastic rather than the grilles.

What loco are you trying to do ?

Also this any use  http://www.Hornby.com/shop/sale/r3049-serco-0-6-0-diesel-shunter-class-08/

Stu

Yep, you are quite right, the boxes are all on little pegs and poke off quite easily. theres no detail behind though,

Another Stu.

I'm sure there was an article in one of the model railway mags where someone had altered the side of an 08 and cast new grilles in resin after making a mould then glued them to the loco, but I can't think which mag it was.

Michael

Or would this give you a crude version of what you want,

BR green version, fairly plentiful and cheaper than some, with all the hinges filed off.

8831241729951bd4ea39de1cdf038635bb06d71e

Its not finished yet 08782 needs radio control lights yet and much weathering!

Stu.

Archived