The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The demise of the Essex wolves

EddieB

I'm very saddened by this story, which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned here before.  Five of the six wolves at Colchester Zoo (essentially a mother and five grown cubs) escaped from their enclosure (to lose one wolf may be regarded as a misfortune, etc.), one also managing to get through the zoo perimeter.  Sadly a decision was taken to shoot the wolves on sight and three were shot dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-25091939

I'm sorry to say (from the position of being cardholders) that the zoo does sometimes appear to be a little careless (to complete that Oscar Wilde quote), since this isn't the first time that their wolves have escaped (last time without tragic consequences).  Clearly Essex can't have partly habituated wolves roaming free - the lions might object - but it does seem that the shoot to kill policy was adopted without trying other methods and with little understanding of wolf behaviour.

Now, how do you tell two youngsters that have grown up seeing this wolf family?

That the den was getting a little crowded, and that Mummy and Daddy wolf felt it was time for some of the youngsters to go and make their own independent way in life. This may also be useful to you in years to come with your own growing family, especially if the shooting information can be thoroughly suppressed.

You may have a bad conscience over this; but it is never too late to amend. My MiL confessed to my wife on her 50th birthday that her much loved Guinea pig 'Tangle' was not in fact buried in the garden of the family home. MiL being a bilge mistress had boiled the deceased rodent to make a skeleton specimen. (Wartime generation, waste nothing and all that; although FiL's embroidery that the Cavy o' Leekie soup had been good is discounted.)

That the den was getting a little crowded, and that Mummy and Daddy wolf felt it was time for some of the youngsters to go and make their own independent way in life. This may also be useful to you in years to come with your own growing family, especially if the shooting information can be thoroughly suppressed.

The shooting information they will doubtless discover in their working life, as it's basically getting made redundant.

I'm glad you all think shooting dead Nobel animals is a good reason to make jokes and have a good laugh!

I don't think anyone is laughing at the unfortunate incident, 34C was being light-hearted about an explanation for Eddie's kids and as OP he's also engaged as such. 

I'm sorry Andy but I must still disagree though on re-reading 34C post can see his angle and have retracted my negative response to that post and apolagise to him but it seems to have lead to the threads standard of decency slipping in following posts especially the amount of people who seem to find the indecent funny judging by the multiple funny icons

• RMweb Premium

Humour is a way many people deal with tragedy. Rightly or wrongly it can act as a much more effective way of coping with stress than the alternatives in my experience. I work in engineering risk management and if you walked into our office you might be horrified at some of the comments that fly around but if people are doing fatal incident reports and considering why people have had arms ripped off, been burnt to death etc on a regular basis then it is a way of erecting a barrier. I've found the same response in doctors and nurses.

• RMweb Gold

When my son was younger we used to go to the zoo at Colchester. I didn't mind going as the animals always looked healthy and there seemed to be a lot of information about their habitats and conservation. I was saddened to read about the wolves demise.

As to informing children, I think when my son was little I would have probably not raised the issue but if he asked I would have told him the truth. 

• RMweb Premium

In my opinion the shooting option is used far too soon in cases of escaped animals. There have been recent cases of shooting cows and steers because they might become a danger to the public. As these days there's usually an ARV on call, has it become more cost effective in terms of police time to shoot and be done with it, rather than put manpower into trying to catch/round up said animals? I know which I'd rather they did, and yes, I am a taxpayer.  My lad loves wolves but fortunately hates news programmes, so didn't see it.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

We took the grandkids to see the wolves at Colchester Zoo only a few weeks ago, they all looked so placid strolling about in their enclosure - to Granddaughter no.1 they were just like big puppy-dogs! Although I appreciate that chances can't be taken, I still think it's a great shame that the decision was made to shoot them and I wonder if an alternative strategy might have worked (but at greater cost, perhaps?)

It is unfortunate that these wolves were shot. I am sure that there was a better alternative but it would have cost TIME.

However, the three wolves that did get fatally shot, might have been severely distressed and shooting them might have been the best option for them.

There is a bigger question here - Is the management team at Colchester Zoo really up to the job?

There is a bigger question here - Is the management team at Colchester Zoo really up to the job?

Are you going to shoot them as well ?

Dennis

If you mean the management at Colchester Zoo, then I would consider it a viable option - after all it seems to be a viable option for the animals in their care.

Archived