Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Real Track FLA Containers

Hello I am new to DCC and the world of Model railways. I wonder if someone could kindly advise me how I can secure the superb Real Track model Hi Cube containers to their respective FLA wagons. Unfortunately they tend to wobble terribly and even on the largest radiused curve they come off. I was hoping to run these as a full rake at their rated speed of 75 MPH, but anything over 15 MPH respectively they come off. I have check the spirtit level on my track to confirm the track is level. I don't have any problems on any other wagon. 

The wagons look superb and are highly detailed. I have contacted Paul who has suggested re-tapping the holes, but I think the problems lies with the alignment of the pins and the holes on the container and some don't even line up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks,

Best,
Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hello I am new to DCC and the world of Model railways. I wonder if someone could kindly advise me how I can secure the superb Real Track model Hi Cube containers to their respective FLA wagons. Unfortunately they tend to wobble terribly and even on the largest radiused curve they come off.

Have you contacted Charlie or Arran at Realtrack? If the problem is a wobbly wheel, he may be able to supply some spares.

Cheers,

Mick

• 5 weeks later...

Many thanks for everyone's kind comments I have left messages for Real tracks but no one has returned my emails as of yet, which I think are down to Christmas.

I have also noted that the FLA's de-rail very easily and I am not sure of the reason why. None of my other wagons or coaches de-rail at all.

I am not sure if the FLA's are too light, or they are not balanced in terms of weight distribution, or are limited by the poles between each double FLA. I have tried different conists with differing numbers of FLA's, different loco's and double heading all lead to the same problem that of de-railing. I have noted that the wagons seem to be pulled across the track on the curves which I have never seen before. This sounds like a design problem as this hasn't overcome the natural law of physics.

I have tried this with the Bachmann and Dapol container wagons and I cant replicate this problem. They are all running on second radius curves. Wish I could solve this as I am really impressed with the look of the Real Track FLA wagons

Best,
Chris

REALTRACK HERE

Please check as it sound like you may have 1 or 2 wobbly wheels.  New ones can be supplied if you return us the Wobbly ones.    Charlie.

Double sided carpet tape does the trick!  The container floors come off to add additional weight to your vehicles.

Happy new year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, I went to my local car tyre fitter and asked him for a bag full of lead weights that were going in the bin having come off car wheels during the balancing process. Got all manner of shapes and sizes to keep me going for years.

M

• 1 year later...

Hi I too have a wobble issue with a pair of these great looking wagons which I got from thier stand at the York MR show.

I was advised it may be a wheel issue, but after swapping them all round it has not made any difference. I have tried extra weight in the wagons containers; lead strips used from old printing typesetting, but still no help.

So to me it looks like the wagons wobble around the boogie pivots as they are so loose. Pushing down on the wagon with a container on one side and then letting go causes the whole wagon to wobble from side to side like a rocking horse until it comes back to rest!

I really want to like these wagons, but something is just not right with this wobble and I am hoping it is not an inherentt flaw with these tiny little boggies.

Any fix remidies out there?

• 4 years later...
On 16/05/2015 at 21:44, Jaggzuk said:

Hi I too have a wobble issue with a pair of these great looking wagons which I got from thier stand at the York MR show.

I was advised it may be a wheel issue, but after swapping them all round it has not made any difference. I have tried extra weight in the wagons containers; lead strips used from old printing typesetting, but still no help.

So to me it looks like the wagons wobble around the boogie pivots as they are so loose. Pushing down on the wagon with a container on one side and then letting go causes the whole wagon to wobble from side to side like a rocking horse until it comes back to rest!

I really want to like these wagons, but something is just not right with this wobble and I am hoping it is not an inherentt flaw with these tiny little boggies.

Any fix remidies out there?

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I have got a similar issue with my FLAs I bought a few months ago. They wobble like mad when going over points etc. I have added some wheel weights into the containers, helps a bit but I don't really want to add more than 50g per container.

What I have done is carefully (as they are fragile as I found when they were delivered with some broken) prise the bogies off and put a thin piece of cellophane in-between the bogie and chassis to tighten the bogie-chassis relationship yet still allowing movement. I have done this on one wagon (of 8) but it has helped a lot. I think the issue is that there is a bit too big a tolerance on the bogie moulding perhaps?

Anyway thought this may be useful to somebody.

Edit, I have now done this on all 8 (and broken 4 bogies while I was on with it) but it has massively improved the wobble.

Edited by TomScrut