Bachmann Class 37 re-wheel

I'm thinking of acquiring a Bachmann Class 37 but I will want to re-wheel to P4. I've attempted to search RMweb with no luck, the EMGS Manual doesn't include this conversion nor does the Alan Gibson website.

Can anyone help?

MTIA

Regards

Hello,

is this a new, or older model?

I ask because the earlier models were only 4 axle drive, the inner axle on each bogie just freewheeled as it were. Subsequent models are all 6 wheel drive.

Colin (Alan Gibson) does 2 conversion packs, one has 4 x 2mm axles for the driven wheels and 2 x 1/8th inch axles for the unpowered wheels. The other conversion pack has 6 x 2mm axles for the all wheel drive models.

Conversion is straight forward.....unclip the bogie moulding, and pull out the wheelset. Remove the Bachmann wheels, recovering the two brass bushes and gear. Assemble the gear onto the new Gibson axle, push on the brass bearings each side, and then push on the wheels each side, setting the correct back to back. Replace into the bogie housing, adjusting pickups to allow for the wider gauge. You may wish to use some spacing washers/bushes to take up sideplay, although it will work without these, as the gear itself limits sideways movement to some extent.

As the author of the Gibson sheets so far published on the website, I apologize for not having yet written any Bachmann diesel sheets for the Gibson site, something I must do.

If you can find anything on converting Bachmann diesels of any denomination, have a look, because they are mostly fairly generic in method, whether four or six wheel bogies.

Pete Hill

An easier solution is to use a set of ultrascale drop-in wheel sets. Just make sure you select the early or later versions (4 or 6 wheel drive bogies) and just drop em in. About half way donw this entry is what I did for my 55... the bogies of which are mechanically identical http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/587/entry-5610-my-4mm-deltic-detailing-project-first-2011-update-body-finished-p4-deltic-pt-7/

Hope that helps too.

Jon

An easier solution is to use a set of ultrascale drop-in wheel sets. Just make sure you select the early or later versions (4 or 6 wheel drive bogies) and just drop em in. About half way donw this entry is what I did for my 55... the bogies of which are mechanically identical http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/587/entry-5610-my-4mm-deltic-detailing-project-first-2011-update-body-finished-p4-deltic-pt-7/

Hope that helps too.

Jon

It might be easier, but the difference in cost and time waiting for wheels.........

And it really isn't that hard anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Almost all of my Bachmann locos run on Keen Maygib coach disc wheels (from EMGS). Where a 3mm axle is required (such as the unpowered axles on a class 44) I use the EMGS stepped conversion axles in place of the 2mm axle supplied with the KM wheels. I find this a simple and cost effective way to convert these locos to EM or P4.

My thanks to all for their replies. I was just, a few moments ago, going to order one when the ViTrains Class 37 http://www.ehattons.com/60677/Vi_Trains_V2112_Class_37_diesel_37426_Intercity_Mainline_Y_Lein_Fach_Vale_of_Rheidol_/StockDetail.aspx    caught my eye, is the advice above still valid for the ViTrains model.

MTIA and sorry to be a pain

Regards

Yes, I think ViTrains also use standard 2mm axles so the advice above should still be valid.

Yes, the Vi trains 37's and 47's use 2mm axles......have converted those using Kean Maygib all metal coach wheels as you described.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've just successfully converted a vitrains 37 to EM with black beetle wheels.... nice and straightforward. Has anyone converted a vitrains 47? I think the 14mm black beatles just look a bit small. .

Will

The KM wheels mentioned previously are 14.5mm so might be better suited to a 47 which has 3'9" wheels

Archived