Wath depot and yard - information and pictures.

18B

Hi,

Firstly thank you to those who’s information on loco’s “On shed” at Wath was shared it was most interesting.

I’m just finishing off the writing on a book on Wath, the Yard, depot and workings. May I kindly enquire whether anyone has any pictures/further information etc that they may wish to contribute. The book runs to 75,000 words at the moment and covers its workings not just on the Woodhead, but to the east and most of the colliery branches etc that the depot served.

Shots from Moor Road bridge of loco’s on shed seem to be in abundance. Harder to find have been ones of the yard and especially the Diesel Depot in the middle of the yard.

I look forward to any PM or sharing of such information / pictures here.

Best regards,   

Have you contacted Mr John Turner of 53a Models he owns a collection of pictures that has a lot of photographs taken in the Wath, Mexborough, Swinton and Barnsley areas he might be worth tapping up! or Dr M Rhodes if he is still around as he would have had a vast collection I would have thought!

• RMweb Premium

As a resident of Wath, you can definitely put me down for a copy of that!  I'm just about old enough to remember a few bits still surviving, but most of it was closed by the time I was old enough to be paying any real attention to it - and of course, there's very little left now.  I saw the picture in a recent "then and now" comparison in Railway Magazine of Manvers, and even though I live there, I still took a while to work out exactly where it was!

I look forward to reading the book.

My Grandfather was a boilersmith/coppersmith and blacksmith on the old Manvers Main colliery.

he worked there all his life apart from the second world war when he was asked to work at Grimsby docks repairing Royal Navy ships.

One of my earliest memories is being taken to his workshop, to pick him up from work, where he had been repairing the "buzzer", which was what they called the steam hooter that signified shift changes....and...hopefully not...accidents.

A VERY skilled man, I remember years after his retirement, I'd bent the bumper on a Ford Anglia 105E. He got me to remove it, and straightened it to almost invisible with about four blows of a hammer!!!

Archived