Heljan 86 Fitting sound?

JBM37404

Would anyone have done this with good results? currentl finishing the painting and detailing of a Heljan 86 now looking at how the speaker and sound chip for that matter will fit as there is not a lot of room on the chassis...?

Any help or pics most appreciated.

TIA

John

I have John. I'm sure I've got a photo, I'll dig it out. I rebuilt the underslung equipment around a speaker facing down. Sounds good and it's also well hidden. I have a second 86 that is essentially one big mobile speaker, connected to the first via a two-pin micro connector. It can cut through the noise at exhibitions.

Bif

I have John. I'm sure I've got a photo, I'll dig it out. I rebuilt the underslung equipment around a speaker facing down. Sounds good and it's also well hidden. I have a second 86 that is essentially one big mobile speaker, connected to the first via a two-pin micro connector. It can cut through the noise at exhibitions.

Bif

Hi Bif, its one of your chips as a co-incidence, bought a while back at a show but it has taken me this long to get the body painted....

Any pics would be great!

John

Hi John, one thing to watch out for on Hejan 86's is the restricted 'headroom' inside. On all of mine I had to file down the solder on top of the 8-pin plug or the pins rubbed on the flywheel!  A 23mm round speaker will fit above the bogie tower facing down with a cut down enclosure, if you remove the drivers 'corridor' from the cab moulding.  No photo's I'm afraid, kev.

post-2420-0-29299300-1386706895_thumb.jpg

Found it eventually. It's a bass enhanced speaker stuck to the chassis block with the underslung equipment built around it. The speaker is not completely hidden but it doesn't look out of place. Let me know what you think of the sound once you've tried it. Just out of interest, what is the version number (hand written on a small white label on the chip)?

Bif

attachicon.gifDSC_1186 copy.jpg

Found it eventually. It's a bass enhanced speaker stuck to the chassis block with the underslung equipment built around it. The speaker is not completely hidden but it doesn't look out of place. Let me know what you think of the sound once you've tried it. Just out of interest, what is the version number (hand written on a small white label on the chip)?

Bif

Its a V4 on the label. That looks like a good mod on the underframe.

Hi John, one thing to watch out for on Hejan 86's is the restricted 'headroom' inside. On all of mine I had to file down the solder on top of the 8-pin plug or the pins rubbed on the flywheel!  A 23mm round speaker will fit above the bogie tower facing down with a cut down enclosure, if you remove the drivers 'corridor' from the cab moulding.  No photo's I'm afraid, kev.

I get the gist of what you have done will give it a shot as I have one of those speakers...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bif, Where did you manage to squeez the chip in?  I also have an 86 I will be needing to "sound-up" in the future.

BTW.....I have not even opened the new Deltic chip you sent, decorating needs to be completed before Christmas, apparently the house is more important than my models!  :nono:

I have mounted the chip lengthways just before the cab starts. Have mounted the speaker face down which does not sound so bad, beware though of the body of the loco splitting just below the cantrail area on one side due to the amount of kit now underneath!

Archived