More Like the Real Thing

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pugs,

looking like a very good idea, cant wait to see how you get it all to work.

As for motor control, it will be very intresting to see what sulotions you come up with. The theroy seams fine for connecting each bogies motor together and then possibly have two decoders and have each unit as a seperate unit to control.

looking forward to seeing this progress

cheers

Simon

Thanks chaps B)

Simon, I think I should be OK powering them all off one decoder - I was planning on installing a Loksound XL. That stage is a long way off yet though, I need to finalise the bogies design yet!

Looking closer has added yet more work to the list of things to do - I'll need to mill 0.77 mm off two sides of each hornblock in order to get everything to fit, as well as turning a bit off the length of them. I've got a fair bit of time available this weekend, so hope to have the design pretty much finalised by the end of the it.

Have you looked at the North West Short Line "Magic Carpet" drive units, they too suffer from the cost problem but the gear system they use may be better that your diagram as it is 3-stage hence you need only 5:1 gears to get your 15:1 and it mimics a real nose suspended motor better, and they should be no more difficult to DIY.

Keith

JB - Thanks for the suggestion. Uisng a Zimo chip had crossed my mind, but the lack of commercial support puts me off a bit. I have been acquiring suitable samples though, so never say never :D I take it you've been experimenting with them, then?

Keith - Thanks for the link, they are nice little units, but as you say, very expensive. I've just worked out that to power the 37 with 6 of them, at current exchange rates, would be in excess of £300! :O My efforts will definitely be under £15 per axle all in, including the etching work for the mounting.

The gears have now arrived, so I can finalise the design with accurate measurements and the good news is that they're thinner than I expected, so a three stage reduction could be possible. More updates later today, hopefully.

Although I had plenty of time at the weeknd, it still wasn't enough to do everything I wanted to! I've got to a point today, though, where I am happy that the position of the traction equipment in the following diagrams is the final one.

Having looked at the ABC Gears traction motor units, I've found that the design I've come up with is similar, with 2 stage reduction, but a little more compact. Whilst they don't entirely look like nose hung traction motors, once the mount stops the gears being visible, it won't look too out of place, I hope.

View from the front and side:

gallery_6668_11_21324.jpg

The motor has been moved inwards, very near to the axle, to increase clearances above. Doing this has enabled moving the 30/10 tooth gear downwards, again increasing clearances. With the chassis rail projections, I think I might have to have the buffer height about 1mm above dead scale, otherwise I'll only be able to have about 1mm travel upwards in the suspension, where it needs to be at least 2 - a total of 4mm movement in each axlebox should be sufficient.

View from the top:

gallery_6668_11_42596.jpg

There's two more important stages to follow, the easiest of which is to be designing the traction motor outer frame/support, which I'll probably do first as it is the easiest :D The other stage is to design the rest of the inner frame which will incorporate the secondary suspension, hangars for the brake shoes and axlebox guides. That stage is going to involve a lot more head scratching!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are progressing with the bogies, albeit slowly. I've got to the stage where I am happy that I can do everything that I wanted to and possibly a bit more :D

The hornblocks are going to need machining, but I have access to the necessary equipment, so that's not too much of a problem. A certain Mr Hanson has persuaded me to try and make my own equalising beams and pivoted spring mounts, which is what I'm trying to figure out at the moment.

The artwork is coming on, with most of the major components now drawn.

post-6668-12692965666_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The bogies have taken a step further towards fruition today, with the arrival of the little motors that will power the loco. Unfortunately the supplier has discontinued the 12 volt version, so I've ended up having to buy the 3 volt version, which is going to involve more electrical jiggery-pokery than I was hoping for. Cute, ain't it ;) :

post-6668-12708370823_thumb.jpg

I think that as long as I connect all 6 motors in series, I should be OK putting 18 volts across them - more research is required on this though. This motor also seems to have disappeared from the website as well, so hopefully they just remove them when out of stock, otherwise I'll need to do a complete redesign when it come to starting the 47.

The artwork is nearly complete, I just need to work through and create the different front and back layers, something that I'm hoping to crack on with this weekend.

Another milestone has been reached this weekend - the artwork for the bogie etches has been finished and sent off to the etching company.

Within a couple of weeks I should have all of the parts I need to crack on with this project, so there'll be something a little more interesting here than me talking to myself ;) :D

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since this thread was updated, but I've now got to the point where the first bogie is mostly complete:

post-6668-0-34159400-1316595669_thumb.jpg

More information about the current progress, and the earlier trials and tribulations, can be found on my blog, here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/8-pugsleys-workbench/

Follow the links in the index box for the earlier stages.

• RMweb Premium

Well a year and a half, not bad....better than my progress usually!

I must say that bogie looks an inspiration, I wish I had the time and patience (let alone the skill) to tackle something like that.

Cannot wait to see the rest of the build.

Archived