Maunsell coaches - brake van ?

ThePurplePrimer

Hi

I am still working out what I need so I can calculate platform lengths and distances between run around loops etc.

My stations will be very small and short so I will only be having 2 maunsell coaches behind my loco

What I don't know is how these were braked - do I need a brake van or do I put a braked coach on the back ?

I am thinking about getting the Hornby coaches

My period covers the entire 1923 - 47 era and my first loco is M7

In general, if a passenger train has a "brake" carriage it doesn't also need a separate brake van. You could get the two-coach "pull-push" pack of Hornby Maunsell coaches that would work perfectly with your M7.

As is common with the railways there were exceptions to the principle of all passenger trains having a brake carriage; the M&GN in Norfolk, for example, had three-carriage sets which always worked with a type of 6-wheeled brake van.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

You will simply need one brake coach.  The new Hornby Maunsell push-pull set consists of a brake composite and an open third, but these were only introduced in 1959.  They were converted from coaches made redundant by the Kent Coast electrification.  If you're not using push-pull sets then a brake third + corridor composite would be acceptable, as would a brake composite plus a corridor (or open) third.

Another option would be Kernow's forthcoming LSWR gated stock - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/35799/K1001_DJ_Models_1914_LSWR_PushPull_Gate_Set_number_374

Guest Belgian

Curiously, a lot of the Southern's 2-car sets were formed brake 3rd + brake composite so that there was always a guard's compartment (and thus the handbrake) at the back. The Pull-Push sets (note that the Southern called them Pull-Push not Push-Pull <anal mode off>) usually had just one brake compartment.

As RFS said, the forhcoming Kernow set will be a perfect partner to the M7 (or to their forthcoming O2) although they were only used on the Western Section of the Southern in your era.

JE

Archived