The Great Train Robbery BBC1 Series.

Baby Deltic

Even the BBC aren't above getting it wrong... in the recent Dr.Who drama about William Hartnell, in a 1963 scene outside Television Centre there was a Rover P5B in shot, which didn't roll off the line at Solihull until September '67!

There was a lot more wrong with it than that! They showed them doing their first read throughs actually in the Lime Grove studio surrounded by cameras. London studio time was always in short supply so they would have been in an outside rehearsal room marked up to represent the studio set probably until the day of the recording. BUT, in terms of the drama, the studio made more sense as otherwise they'd have had to explain what a rehearsal room is. The play wasn't about the mechanics of production but rather the interplay of personalities. The designer giving the TARDIS interior a low priority because it was "only" a children's drama was horribly familiar. 

There was a lot more wrong with it than that! They showed them doing their first read throughs actually in the Lime Grove studio surrounded by cameras. London studio time was always in short supply so they would have been in an outside rehearsal room marked up to represent the studio set probably until the day of the recording. BUT, in terms of the drama, the studio made more sense as otherwise they'd have had to explain what a rehearsal room is. The play wasn't about the mechanics of production but rather the interplay of personalities. The designer giving the TARDIS interior a low priority because it was "only" a children's drama was horribly familiar. 

According to a neighbour, who worked as a PA on Panorama during Richard Dimbleby's tenure, 'The Hour' was similarily full of gaffes.

Well, I started to read this thread, and no offence intended, felt like "I've met quite a few of these bods previously, at shows ...." they come up to the layout and tell the operators, and any other viewers, what is wrong, what is inaccurate and what is misplaced and rarely if ever pass comment on the well modelled aspects.

I'd wish you all a Merry Christmas, but then equality and diversity training prevented me from upsetting some who may be offended.

Brian R

According to a neighbour, who worked as a PA on Panorama during Richard Dimbleby's tenure, 'The Hour' was similarily full of gaffes.

Some of those really were gaffes though as in not knowing enough about the real world they were trying to portray. There's a difference between that and the degree of dramatic licence that most plays require. Ironically, the most authentic depiction of a real TV newsroom I've come across was Drop the Dead Donkey. Most viewers probably thought it was pure comedic fantasy but it was all appallingly true.

The three sounds you could pretty much guarantee to get complaints about from someone were aircraft engines, steam locos and bird song.

The three sounds you could pretty much guarantee to get complaints about from someone were aircraft engines, steam locos and bird song.

Especially the time the BBC tried to record nightingale song by hanging a microphone over a  clump of bushes.

What they got was:

"If you do that again, Bert, you'll get a slap on the kisser!"

• 1 year later...

Archived