Whatever happened to Hornby's class E2 0-6-0T

phil gollin

While the topic is E2s and Thomas, what about the picture below?

It is lifted from a website, which in turn lifted it from a book, and it shows an E2 on the sand quarry tramway branch at Hassocks. This photo has to be the inspiration for the defining Thomas picture, surely.

K

post-26817-0-50133400-1459324710_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-28860200-1459324849.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer

Sir Dinadan was always made with self-coloured plastic. Batches made in 1976 and 1977 were gloss varnished; the 1978 production runs were matt varnished. 

The move to matt varnish was an attempt at greater realism - unfortunately, the varnish tended to lighten the colour finish giving the locos from this era a very waxy, pale look. By 1980 Hornby bit the bullet and started fully paint finishing the majority of their models - the change was promoted in the 1980 catalogue and made quite a startling difference to the quality of the models. However, by then Sir Dinadan was deleted after a very short production life of three years - never to re-appear.

This short life meant that for many years it commanded premium secondhand prices; however according to Pat Hammond's book, 34,500 were made. When you consider that by the mid 1980s, Hornby's production runs were often down to less than 5000 for individual models, in reality it was never that hard to find.    

I remember Sir Dinadan! Usually, I buy on the principle that, even if a model is poor, it is all I am likely to get of a desirable prototype. Sir Dinadan was so poor that even I couldn’t stomach it.

....And do you guys like American designed locomotives?

Quite a few of us do. The RTR here centres on UK prototype models, so apart from wartime imports like the USATC Porter 0-6-0T (a model which is soon to be released) you'll not see many in this section. But there's a dedicated section in 'modelling' for the North American interest. I was smitten from the first sight of a 'Niagara' in a photo reproduced in a 1950's copy of 'Mechanix Illustrated'.

It will certainly have been painted (by hand, or otherwise!). If the existing paint job is reasonable, I would be inclined to just spray or brush some matte or satin varnish over the lot. From the photos, it looks quite nice but the camera can hide, as well as highlight, poor paint finishes, depending on lighting and angles.

I'm not 100% sure, but it also look like it has been modified to make those footplate end curves shallower, as per Pete's model illustrated earlier (post #8 ). It has also had the cab cut down and is numbered as an Eastern Region locomotive (where are all the LNER experts out there to tell us what it now represents??). :)

I can get better pictures if you want to see the locomotive in better lighting.

It will certainly have been painted (by hand, or otherwise!). If the existing paint job is reasonable, I would be inclined to just spray or brush some matte or satin varnish over the lot. From the photos, it looks quite nice but the camera can hide, as well as highlight, poor paint finishes, depending on lighting and angles.

I'm not 100% sure, but it also look like it has been modified to make those footplate end curves shallower, as per Pete's model illustrated earlier (post #8 ). It has also had the cab cut down and is numbered as an Eastern Region locomotive (where are all the LNER experts out there to tell us what it now represents??). :)

I just took a small hand file and filed a small bit of paint on the cab and I think the original color was the LBSC brown livery. I read on another topic that someone soaked a shell in brake fluid and it got paint off of a LMS Jinty that was repainted. Should I try to do that?

• 1 year later...

I just took a small hand file and filed a small bit of paint on the cab and I think the original color was the LBSC brown livery. I read on another topic that someone soaked a shell in brake fluid and it got paint off of a LMS Jinty that was repainted. Should I try to do that?

do you mean brake cleaner or brake fluid? they are two different things.