Empty Carriage Stock sidings

phil gollin

Is there a list anywhere of the various Southern Region empty carriage stock sidings ?

I remember ones at Raynes Park and between Mitcham Junction and Streatham  -  I am sure there were many, many more.

On your list you should eventually find:

Padstow,

Plymouth Friary,

Ilfracombe,

Exeter,

• RMweb Gold

There's a carriage/unit shed between Balham and Streatham Hill, controversially expanded by Southern a few years back with servicing facilities in the yard on the opposite side of the line from the shed. Hither Green, Dover, Ashford (Kent),Feltham? Brighton, Gatwick, Lewes? Eastleigh, Bournemouth, Southampton, Salisbury ..... there must be close to three figures, depending on your definition (stabling points, ECS etc etc)

Alastair M

This is a list derived for the SE Division for MUs only for 1967/68 from the CWN. I've only included locations which include at least one 'berth' or 'siding' - many stations stored trains overnight in the platforms after the last service of the day.

Addiscombe

Ashford

Beckenham Junction

Bellingham

Bickley

Blackfriars

Bromley North

Cannon Street

Charing Cross

Dartford

Dover Marine

Dover Priory

Faversham

Gillingham (Depot)

Gravesend

Grove Park Shed

Hastings

Hayes

London Bridge (only for MLV)

Maidstone Barracks

Maidstone East

New Beckenham

Ore

Orpington (Depot)

Plumstead

Ramsgate (Depot)

St Leonards

Sevenoaks

Slade Green (Depot)

Stewarts Lane

Strood

Swanley

Tonbridge

Victoria

And for the SW Division for 1967/68 for MUs and loco hauled trains:

Aldershot

Alton

Ascot

Basingstoke

Bevois Park

Bournemouth

Chertsey

Chessington South

Clapham Junction and Yard

Dorchester South

Eastleigh

Effingham Junction

Farnham

Fratton

Gosport

Guildford

Hampton Court

Hounslow

Northam Yard

Poole

Portsmouth & Southsea

Reading General

Richmond

Salisbury

Shepperton

Southampton

Southampton Docks

Staines

Strawberry Hill

Weymouth

Wimbledon Park Sidings

Windsor & Eton Riverside

Woking

Unfortunately I don't have a Central Division equivalent.

HTH

• RMweb Gold

The sidings between Streatham Junction and Mitcham Junction were called Eardley Sidings, and they were in full swing until Kent Coast Electrification. After that they and the fewer and fewer vehicles in them rotted away and it's now all housing.

Off the top of my addled head, and v much E&OE....

Streatham Hill depot, as mentioned

New Cross Gate

Crystal Palace (low level) with sidings round on the Sydenham Spur and I think one or two on the Norwood Junction side

Selhurst depot

West Croydon

Wallington (middle siding)

Epsom Downs

Epsom

Leatherhead (in the old LSWR station)

Dorking North

Holmwood

Purley

Coulsdon North

Caterham

Tattenham Corner

Redhill

Reigate

Gatwick Airport

Three Bridges

Haywards Heath

Brighton (Lovers Walk) depot

Seaford

Eastbourne

Tunbridge Wells West

Oxted

East Grinstead

Horsham

Hove

West Worthing

Littlehampton

Ford

Barnham

Bognor Regis

Chichester

To Rod's SE list must be added Rotherhithe Road and Blackheath, in steam days

To his SW list must be added two other locations at Wimbledon - Durnsford Road depot and South Sidings

as well as

Okehampton

Halwill

Bude

Torrington

Callington

and the several coastal termini like Lyme Regis and Seaton, each of which had sidings for berthing, again in steam days.

Maze Hill should be added to the (steam age) SE list. Quite a few of the SED's "long sets" were kept there.

Electric sets weren't just stabled in platforms overnight but between peak hours as well. It wasn't unusual for a 4-SUB/EPB working off-peak to come in on top of a stabled 4 car (or even 6 car =4+2) unit. They would be joined up in the platform at the start of the peak and split there at the end.

I well remember the stabling siding at Haywards Heath. Between the Up Relief and Up Main lines on the top of the embankment at the north end of the station. The stock (2x 2HAP or, later on, a 4VEP) was used on the 08:20-something Haywards Heath to Seaford, and on frosty winter mornings could very uncomfortable until the heating kicked in. One morning, it was delayed by 20 minutes as the doors were frozen shut...

Occasionally the long siding to the east of the Down Relief was also used.

• RMweb Gold

I well remember the stabling siding at Haywards Heath. Between the Up Relief and Up Main lines on the top of the embankment at the north end of the station. The stock (2x 2HAP or, later on, a 4VEP) was used on the 08:20-something Haywards Heath to Seaford, and on frosty winter mornings could very uncomfortable until the heating kicked in. One morning, it was delayed by 20 minutes as the doors were frozen shut...

Occasionally the long siding to the east of the Down Relief was also used.

Originally that service would have been the one starting at Horsted Keynes, no doubt.

Originally that service would have been the one starting at Horsted Keynes, no doubt.

Yes... by the early 70s the previously hourly service had been reduced to a single morning peak service (the one I used to catch to go to college at Lewes); a late afternoon return Seaford-HH-Seaford (the first leg of which I used to return home); and a later Seaford-HH service which was the one that was stored overnight.

The morning service was well-patronised with both college and work people, but the afternoon service was very lightly loaded, on most days a single 2HAP (56xx Bulleid design, usually) sufficed and even then you could find oneself the sole occupant of one of the saloons in the power car...

I lived in London until 1965, and our flat was next to the Victoria carriage sheds. I well remember seeing the Golden Arrow, the Night Ferry and many other trains being stabled there. Usually, H class 0-4-4s were used to shunt the carriages to and from Victoria, 31550 and 31551 being two that I remember. West Country, Battle of Britain, Schools and others were watered and turned right outside my bedroom window.

Unfortunately electrification took over and the magic was lost!

I wish the was a RTR H class available, I have fond memories of them.

Archived