short circuit!

sb67

• RMweb Gold

It's possible that the short has caused the decoder to reset itself to factory defaults.  Bachmann decoders are prone to doing this.  Try operating the engine using address 3: if that works you'll have to change its address again to what it was before, plus any other changes to CVs that you might have made.

It's possible that the short has caused the decoder to reset itself to factory defaults.  Bachmann decoders are prone to doing this.  Try operating the engine using address 3: if that works you'll have to change its address again to what it was before, plus any other changes to CVs that you might have made.

If that does not work, try doing a re-set on the decoder by writing the value 8 into CV8. This will not harm the decoder in any way.

Steve - are you using a DCC command system which can read decoder CV values? If so then pop it on a bit of test track and see what comes back when you ping it.

You could also look at the decoder and see if there are any obvious burn marks.

Steve - are you using a DCC command system which can read decoder CV values? If so then pop it on a bit of test track and see what comes back when you ping it.

You could also look at the decoder and see if there are any obvious burn marks.

No Unfortunately I just have a Bachmann easy command. I think it happend as the loco crossed some points and the wheels could have touched the open point blade, if that makes sense? I have read somthing that says you  can get something that you wire in to the BUS circuit that would stop that happening??

• RMweb Gold

No Unfortunately I just have a Bachmann easy command. I think it happend as the loco crossed some points and the wheels could have touched the open point blade, if that makes sense? I have read somthing that says you  can get something that you wire in to the BUS circuit that would stop that happening??

I have terminators but it didn't stop the resets from time to time. Many people have reported this problem with Bachmann decoders, and the only way to prevent it is to use a better quality brand. I replaced mine with Lenz.

As I suggested in post #2 have you tried operating the loco using address 03? 

Archived