US Plug and NCE powercab

TomJ

Just a quick query. Thanks to all on here for the advice, I have taken the plunge and got a NCE powercab to try DCC. The plug for the mains power has a US fitting. Will a standard travel adaptor be ok to plug it into a UK plug?

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Remember a shaver adapter comes with a 1 amp fuse generally - this needs to be changed to a 2 amp fuse.

Dave

I haven't changed mine, and seem to be able to run US sound equipped locos, even in consists.

Lucky? - maybe, fingers crossed all ok at the mo.

It all depends how many Watts your system consumes on the DCC side as to what value fuse is required on the mains side.

Assuming a 1A fuse is good for (say) 200W, in theory you should be able to draw well over 10A at the lower DCC voltage.

In practice, the limitation is likely to be that of inrush current into the PSU when the system is switched on each time you power up. A time delay fuse should help in this regard.

A standard Powercab supplied with the US mains adaptor is capable of 2amps max output to the TRACK, that is at most some 40watts. 40watts as applied to a 230volt mains supply results in a mains amperage of under 0.18 of an amp, so even allowing for some inefficiencies in the transformer, that doesn't really come to much over 0.25amp draw from the mains. I've been using a standard shaver adaptor with the ready fitted 1amp fuse without any failure for years now. That is under exhibition conditions too,

The supplied mains adaptor that comes with the Powercab is only one of those transformer/plug devices that the US call a 'wall wart'. I doubt that the inush current is any more than a electric shaver.

Another point is that some of the travel adaptors are not fused, or if they are there is no provision to replace it

Hope that helps

John

edited to add note re travel adaptors

edit 2 for typo!!!

When I purchased my Powercab from Bromsgrove Models a while back they supplied it with a US to UK adapter and they made the point that the fuse had been changed to a 2 amp fuse - the adapter looks like a standard shaving adapter to me.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks all. I got a cheap travel adaptor from town yesterday, plugged it in and it worked a treat.

After less than 5min I am a total convert to DCC! As the garage is too cold and the layout will need some rewiring I took the fiddle yard into the warm to use as a programming/test track. I couldn't believe how easy it was, or how much better my engines run. I think the manuals and some of the terminology make it sound more complicated than it is! I have already changed the long addresses, and alterted the momentum of some of my stock, and even run a consists up and down the yard. All in under an hour.

I can't wait to buy a few more chips and attach the controller to the layout proper

Thanks to everyone on here for answering all my many, daft questions, much appreciated.

Archived