Basingstoke Show, 8th/9th March 2014 - information and photographs

Western Star

Basingstoke Model Railway Exhibition, 8th/9th March 2014, starts here.

Regular readers - this being the third or forth time of presenting the show through RM Web - will know the format and not need any introduction. To new readers, I shall be providing photos of the invited layouts plus details of opening times, exhibition venue/location, traders, heritage bus service, contact details... with regular updates by way of additional photos to keep the thread fresh. Layout plans, if available, shall be posted to a separate thread and announced here.

To start... models of the London Underground are rare, models of the London Underground which impress are even rarer, so here is a photo which is "up there". I suspect that this shot might be from a viewing angle which is not available at a show - if that is the case then at least we have a grand pikkie to start the pre-amble for 2014 (photo supplied by the "Abbey Road Group")..

post-4085-0-74244300-1388790365.jpg

regards, Graham

The forthcoming Basingstoke Model Railway Exhibition is taking place on 8th and 9th March 2014 at:-

Richard Aldworth Science College,
Western Way,
Basingstoke,
RG22 6HA

Opening times are 10.00 to 17.00 on Saturday and 10.00 to 16.00 on Sunday. For those travelling by car there is a car park within the school grounds. For those who wish to travel by train there are two options for the journey between the station and the venue:-
* Heritage Bus, a free service - the bus leaves from outside the station using "Stand A";
* Stagecoach Jazz service 3.

In passing, I think that we all owe a vote of thanks to the people who provide the vehicle and operate the Heritage Bus service - this year, as in past years, the free service is provided by the Aldershot and District Omnibus Rescue and Restoration Society.

And the best news? Admission prices held for the third year running! Adults pay £5 for at least 26 layouts plus at least 17 traders (confirmed as of 1st January 2014), concessions are £4 and children under 6 years are free.

The Basingstoke Club website has more information about the layouts, traders and travel options - including departure times of the Heritage Bus from Basingstoke railway station

regards, Graham

I'm looking forward to this year's show. I couldn't make it last year, but it's definitely on the calendar this year. 

Dock Green is attending, I believe. I've followed that layout's progress here, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

When exhibitions in my geographical area offer a good selection of layouts and trade I try to make an effort to attend them. I live in Chatham, and I consider making the effort to get to Basingstoke well worth my time to support the show. 

I'm looking forward to this year's show. I couldn't make it last year, but it's definitely on the calendar this year. 

Dock Green is attending, I believe. I've followed that layout's progress here, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

When exhibitions in my geographical area offer a good selection of layouts and trade I try to make an effort to attend them. I live in Chatham, and I consider making the effort to get to Basingstoke well worth my time to support the show. 

I can confirm that Dock Green will be at Basingstoke. I do hope you are not disappointed "seeing it in the flesh".

Chaz

PS I am hoping to post a few photos in the Dock Green thread next weekend as I have been given the chance to put the layout up for a photo session this coming week.

The Basingstoke Club website has more information about the layouts

A small suggestion to improve the website: add to the list of layouts their scale and gauge. Also for some of the RMWeb layouts - possibly a link to their RMWeb topic (but I guess that should have been provided by their owners).

PS Is the show guide going to be worth purchasing? (ie does it have track plans) ;)

A small suggestion to improve the website: add to the list of layouts their scale and gauge. Also for some of the RMWeb layouts - possibly a link to their RMWeb topic (but I guess that should have been provided by their owners).

PS Is the show guide going to be worth purchasing? (ie does it have track plans) ;)

In my case I sent them a layout description, a track plan and some photos. I also gave them a link to the Dock Green topic on RMweb but it is, of course, up to them whether they use any of that either on the website or in the show guide. However my sympathy is with the exhibition organiser, who has rather a lot of balls to juggle.

sympathy is with the exhibition organiser, who has rather a lot of balls to juggle.

That is true. However, expos are a club event and there are (should be) more of a club effort in presenting and organising - not left up to one volunteer.

I think there should be a standard minimum level of presentation (website and show guide) provision. Also in information sought from layout owners.

It just seemed a simple bit of good information generally expected. I'm sure I am not the only potential visitor who doesn't recognise every layout and would like to know the scale/gauge). The missing external links and photos become more obvious on a page when some layouts appear to have favoured links/photos.

This is not a "get at" this particular website but a general comment (as usual) on the club websites and their expos.

I've been to many Basingstoke shows and know they can be trusted to put on a pretty good selection of layouts (though traders are a little bit lacking, that is probably down to the aspiration of this otherwise local show) - those who have not had that history will want all the help they can get.

I am pleased to read the comments posted here and I shall consider the points made today/tomorrow.  In the meantime and seeing as "Dock Green" features in some of those comments I think that posting photos of that layout seems entirely appropriate (images supplied by Chaz).

This photo is very evocative of lineside industries in the inner-city environs, I like particularly the drums in the lean-to hut... generally such drums were provided with drip trays or in the absence of such "catch-all" objects then the ground was stained with the spillages (I shall have to wait until the show to find out).

post-4085-0-70283400-1388945094.jpg

Rail yards over canals is a common subject and one which can be done well done, or done badly....  or should not have been done at all.  This is a superb example which captures the filthy, nay obnoxious, nature of such back waters, just imagine that dark and dank feeling under the lines.

post-4085-0-76401500-1388945119.jpg

regards, Graham

We move westward today...  towards a quiet corner of Wiltshire...  to Fisherton Sarum.  This 4mm layout was due to attend our 2013 show and as Graham was not able to be with us then our Club decided that an invite for 2014 was in order.  I am lucky to have several excellent photographs of this layout - new compared to those images which I used last year - supplied by Graham and copyright Chris Nevard so there shall be plenty of Southern interest to come.

post-4085-0-68221900-1389018556.jpg

When I asked Gordon to bring Pempoul to Basingstoke his reply was soimething like "just six shows a year, you might have to wait a while... ".  Four years have gone by since that conversation and finally the time has arrived.  Pempoul is my all-time favourite layout and I am very pleased that Pempoul is to be at our 2014 show.  As for photographs, I am spoilt for choice and I am sure that no one is going to complain with future returns to this stunning layout.

post-4085-0-16175900-1389104988_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Gordon Gravett.

post-4085-0-97222000-1389105094_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chris Nevard / Model Rail.

For those who might consider travelling by train, as of today the situation in respect of engineering works is as follows:-

Engineering occupation between Brockenhurst and Southampton on both show days.

Otherwise, no scheduled occupation for any lines to/through Basingstoke and to/through Reading,

If the situation changes before the week of the show then I shall try to add details to this topic.

And would someone PLEASE make it clear from which point the heritage bus is departing outside the station.

Dennis

The current information is that the Heritage Service is to use Stand "A" from outside the station.

• RMweb Gold

If sufficient RMW-ers attend on the same day, that is sufficient to form a RMW-meet, then here is a reminder of how to recognise me:-

attachicon.gifred-hat.jpg

regards, Graham

Do we all have to wear one? Or just the organiser?

Seriously though, this sounds like a good show and I may arrange a group to visit from North Dorset.

The clever bit is working out which one is Stand A and which side of the road it is this year ;)

I have great sympathy with Mike's observation and I have thought about stopping by the bus rank (when the rain has stopped) to establish which is "Stand A"... maybe even taking a pikkie to give readers an idea as to where to wait for the Heritage Bus Service.

Good intentions count for nothing though when initiative gets in the way. For the last show we explained to the bus crew where and when to stop for passengers... only to learn that, after the first run of the day, the driver had decided that approaching the station from the opposite direction was a "good thing".

regards, Graham

;A small suggestion to improve the website: add to the list of layouts their scale and gauge. Also for some of the RMWeb layouts - possibly a link to their RMWeb topic (but I guess that should have been provided by their owners).

I shall let the website guru know of your suggestion.about scale / gauge.

As regards links to website links for layout which are attending the show, that is being done wherever such links exist (and not just links to RMWeb pages).

As regards links to website links for layout which are attending the show, that is being done wherever such links exist (and not just links to RMWeb pages).

That was not what was being suggested ... it appeared to me that links were only being made to "favoured" layout websites and those who are presenting layouts on RMWeb topics were being ignored. One of which has already been mentioned above. But I do realise that if the owners can't be bothered to give that link then ... well what can you do?

There are 26 layouts which have confirmed attendance at the 2014 show.  The exhibition manager has website links for just 13 out of 26 layouts, those links are available through the exhibition page of the club website.  As I post photos of individual layouts then I shall include a link to a corresponding website (where possible).

This is a summary of the layouts which have confirmed attendance at the Bassingstoke 2014 Show:-

N gauge / 2mm scale
Dentdale
Freshwater
Kidmore Creek
Numchen
Waton
Witney Euston

TT gauge

Rhineside

00 / H0 gauge
Abbey Road
Ashbury Brook 
Botleigh Old North Road
Carolann
Essellty
Falkland Vale
Fisherton Sarum
Manston Airport
Traffic in the City
Warren Lane

4mm scale P4 standard

Harton Gill
Lee-on-the-Solent

0 gauge
Aldermouth Road
Dock Green
Figges Marsh TMD
Wantage

Narrow gauge
Pempoul
Racoon Canyon Mining
Rhinefeld

regards, Graham

There are 26 layouts which have confirmed attendance at the 2014 show.  The exhibition manager has website links for just 13 out of 26 layouts, those links are available through the exhibition page of the club website.&nbs

The link to the RMWeb topic on Dock Green is provided in the posts above, for one example.

Archived