Basingstoke Show, 8th/9th March 2014 - information and photographs

Western Star

Each year the Basingstoke Club invites around 25 layouts to attend the annual exhibition and I get the pleasant task of publicising the show through RMW and other internet forums. On average I receive five or six photos per layout, most are good, some ought to stay in the drawer and then there are those which jump up and scream "use me". This year, 2014, is a great year in that we have several stupendous layouts and a higher than normal number of pikkies which deserve an early slot in the threads, for example Dock Green and Pempoul (and yes I have some corkers to come for those two layouts). So today I am featuring a layout which is new to me and one which is likely to have visitors coming back for another look.

post-4085-0-13987000-1389210569.jpg

And now for something different compared to previous posts. Harton Gill is a P4 layout which is attending the Basingstoke 2014 Show. An interesting prototype and one which features an unusual type of locomotive for this country, that is the bogie steeplecab electric engine. Oh,okay, the NER signal box is pretty neat as well.

post-4085-0-91383900-1389298960_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Carshalton & Sutton Model Railway Club

Just how many "snow" scene layouts have there been over the years?  I can think of just the one, other than the layout to be featured next, and that is Hudson Road (MRJ, yonks ago).  Witney Euston is a 2mm Fine Scale layout set in winter time.  Here is the first of a couple of superb photos:-

post-4085-0-69382700-1389382294_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chris Nevard / Model Rail.

From snow to sunshine.... the absence of peeps suggests that this layout is set on a summer saturday in between departure of the previous guests and the arrival of the next influx of holiday makers - Lee-on-the-Solent is a 4mm P4 layout and is appearing at the Basingstoke 2014 show.

post-4085-0-41572000-1389465465.jpg

Photo courtesy of the South Hants MRC.

I have seen the adjective "bucolic" applied to some railway backwaters and I guess that the next layout is a representation of just such a backwater. "Wantage" is a delightful 7mm model of the railway which ran between the GWR at Wantage Road and the nearby town of Wantage. The layout is by D S Cox of the Crawley MRS... at this time I have not been able to find a web page for the model, please let me know if you have an appropriate link.

post-4085-0-53021800-1389542608_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chirs Nevard / Model Rail.

Anyone who cannot find something among all these excellent layouts to encourage them to visit Basingstoke show this year shouldn't be attending any other show. A really outstanding selection this year.

Thank you for this compliment and not even half of the invited layouts have been featured so far.

regards, Graham

Just how many "snow" scene layouts have there been over the years?  I can think of just the one, other than the layout to be featured next, and that is Hudson Road (MRJ, yonks ago).  Witney Euston is a 2mm Fine Scale layout set in winter time.  Here is the first of a couple of superb photos:-

attachicon.gifnevard-witney-1.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chris Nevard / Model Rail.

You had the late Tony Mortlock exhibit his Hayesden layout at your show a couple of years ago.  This was a snow scene set in Kent.

Colin

Coming up to date; here is a photograph of Waton which is appearing at the Basingstoke 2014 Show.  Waton is a N-gauge layout inspired by Water Orton (Midland Railway in the Birmingham area) and featuring stock in the privatisation era.

post-4085-0-34981200-1389721203_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Dave Strenshaw.

The construction of this layout has been covered in another forum, see here. The layout was entered for and won the RMWeb 2010 challenge, For a video of the layout

is a link to Utube.

Not quite the blue era...  here is Botleigh Old North Road which is appearing at the Basingstoke Show this year.  Botleigh depicts a fictious "shed" in the twilight of steam and features a mixture of motive power.

post-4085-0-28411200-1389818921_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chris Nevard / Hornby Magasine

and here is a video of the layout:-

Warren Lane - 00/H0 - a representation of a container terminal in East Anglia, sometime after privatisation...  and appearing at the Basingstoke 2014 Show.  I guess that we shall have to introduce a queuing system for this layout because of the fascinating sight of working cranes - I shall make time to watch the layout before the doors open!

post-4085-0-34006500-1390166786_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Chirs Nevard / Model Rail.

• 2 weeks later...

What an excellent idea to preview this show on RMweb, and what a show! Hope I can find enough time off from operating Dock Green to do these other excellent layouts justice. Am particularly looking forward to seeing Pempoul again as my Furness Valley is going to need loads of trees and Mr and Mrs Gravett look to be a bit good at them.

Your latest posting (Rhineside) brings back memories of a school trip I went on as the obligatory male teacher (the language department was all female) to the Rhine gorge. Our coach was involved in an "incident" on a road very similar to that in the posted picture.

Chaz

• 4 weeks later...

From the viewpoint of visitors to the Basingstoke Show the biggest niggle - judging by feedback - is the Heritage Bus which runs between Basingstoke station and the exhibition venue.  The source of the niggle is the pick-up point at the station.  So this year I have the show managers for a clear / concise / correct (hopefully) statement about where the Heritage Bus is to pick-up at the station.

Leave the station via the main booking hall exit on the down / south / busy side.

Cross the open pavement area in front of the booking hall and descend the steps heading for "The Malls" shopping centre.

Cross the road by the pedestrian crossing area.

Turn to the right and look for a bus stand for the Shuttle service to the Leisure Park - also used by buses to Sony and Chineham Business park.  This is expected to be the stop for the Heritage Bus (provided as in most years by the Aldershot and District Omnibus Rescue and Restoration Society).

The Heritage Bus timetable is here and detailed in the free show guide.

thanks, see you in just over one week, Graham

• RMweb Premium

Should point out that the Botley line between Fareham and Eastleigh is going to be shut until at least the 11th of March now due to the monster landslip there. Pompey to Waterloo via Basingstoke trains are running but with a lengthy diversion and a reverse at St Deny's in both directions.  Also if you are coming along the Sussex Coast it is shut Angmering/Arundel to Chichester both days,

Should point out that the Botley line between Fareham and Eastleigh is going to be shut until at least the 11th of March now due to the monster landslip there. Pompey to Waterloo via Basingstoke trains are running but with a lengthy diversion and a reverse at St Deny's in both directions.  Also if you are coming along the Sussex Coast it is shut Angmering/Arundel to Chichester both days,

Thank you for the key information 

Here is a rarity for a Basingstoke show, 2mm FS...  Freshwater by Ian Morgan (who supplied the photographs).  As this layout is "work in progress" I am including several images to show what is in the buiulder's mind's eye.

post-4085-0-42733400-1393971099_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-11985500-1393971104_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-12942100-1393971107_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-55062000-1393971111_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-55062000-1393971111_thumb.jpg

I like particularly the last image for this shows how 2mm FS can stand proud amongst the best of them...  2mm? 4mm? 7mm?  As far as I can see there is nothing which screams 2mm - just a good use of colour and texture to convey a nice picture.

I can confirm that Dock Green will be at Basingstoke. I do hope you are not disappointed "seeing it in the flesh".

Chaz

PS I am hoping to post a few photos in the Dock Green thread next weekend as I have been given the chance to put the layout up for a photo session this coming week.

I am also looking forward to seeing Dock Green, <red face> having missed it at Warley

Basingstoke is twinned with several European towns and our Club has a link with the Euskirchen Model Railway Club - a link which sees model railway layouts from those towns crossing the Channel every couple of years.  This year the Basingstoke Club is hosting the Euskirchen Club and here are some photos of the Euskirchen layout.

post-4085-0-16525800-1394093765_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-11407600-1394093769_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-72568100-1394093773_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-58354400-1394093777_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Sublime to the ridiculous for me starting tomorrow (or is it the other way round?) - aiming 12" to the foot West Countries on Friday, 2mm dieselly things Sat and Sun....

Hope I don't get the hammer sizes mixed up.

• RMweb Gold

Sublime to the ridiculous for me starting tomorrow (or is it the other way round?) - aiming 12" to the foot West Countries on Friday, 2mm dieselly things Sat and Sun....

Hope I don't get the hammer sizes mixed up.

I hope your weekend activities don't harm your 'man of steam' image Phil - could be very bad for your reputation ;) (and I won't be down on Friday - eye test day alas).

Interested to see from the latest from Western Star that the Euskirchen club are attending - my son spent last weekend there and judging by what he was involved in (carnival time) I do hope the layout and its operators make it to Basingstoke in one piece.

Archived