The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football legend Eusebio dies

beast66606

Agree to all the above.

I visited the Benfica ground in 1965 - what a place! Held 120K people, biggest in Europe, I believe. Built in 1954 seemingly out of stone and since replaced.

Unfortunately it was empty......Eusebio not around. Never did get to see him.

Best, Pete.

He's the player I remember most from the 1966 World Cup. (I had no emotional investment in any of the teams in the finals.)  

Agree to all the above.

I visited the Benfica ground in 1965 - what a place! Held 120K people, biggest in Europe, I believe. Built in 1954 seemingly out of stone and since replaced

Not sure it was the biggest, Pete. I've been in crowds of 130,000+ at Hampden in 1962 and 1964, and one in 1970 which was officially 136,000, but unofficially was more than that, perhaps much more - I've seen figures of 146,000 (possible) up to 160,000 (not really believable).

Two memorable clips on the BBC News last night. One with Nobby Stiles bringing him down in the 1966 semifinal, Eusebio just gets up again, no theatrical rolling around. And the second after Alex Stepney had made a last minute save for Man U and Eusebio goes to applaud and shake his hand for the save.

What a gent.

Archived