Some very nice Work on here Dave :paint: looking forward to more now...

cheers neil..

thanks neil, i am getting in to this business.  doesnt matter if it turns out not quite right, i just have another go....it's a learning curve

mixed up a large jar of my frame dirt mixture this morning...and then promptly knocked it over....

cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bank holiday, 36 degrees outsdide, only one place to keep cool - in the garage...decided not to add loads to these - just about the only wagon rake i have that doesn't have loads.  the thinned down lifecolour rusted paint on the inside dried in < 20 seconds !

post-18622-0-30244000-1402309731_thumb.jpg

post-18622-0-91315000-1402309752_thumb.jpg

post-18622-0-91732100-1402309815_thumb.jpg

post-18622-0-85451200-1402309838_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Really like the "life colour" application. Works well.

How about getting a blade or soldering iron on the internals / top lip ? (Not your top lip...)

You're enjoying this ....aren't you !

Hi Dave

It's the dead straight lines of the wagon sides, along with scrapes etc that you will get when they are loaded / unloaded.

It's literally a light brush of the soldering iron tip which can achieve such an effect. A craft knife might achieve similar effects.

Not a criticism, as I really do like the way those internals have turned out.

I suppose another thing to consider is some sort of left over residue from previous loads. No wagon is ever immaculately clean and empty.

You've given me the weathering "itch" now..... I might have to break out the airbrush !

Good luck...Nick

Hi Dave

It's the dead straight lines of the wagon sides, along with scrapes etc that you will get when they are loaded / unloaded.

It's literally a light brush of the soldering iron tip which can achieve such an effect. A craft knife might achieve similar effects.

Not a criticism, as I really do like the way those internals have turned out.

I suppose another thing to consider is some sort of left over residue from previous loads. No wagon is ever immaculately clean and empty.

You've given me the weathering "itch" now..... I might have to break out the airbrush !

Good luck...Nick

Here's some links to photos on Paul Bartlett's site:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/trlfosteryeomanpoa/h26f65abd#h26f65abd

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/poapo15a/h3fa8fb91#h3fa8fb91

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/trlyeomanpoa/ha141e49#ha141e49

The gouges are quite narrow, and might be better done with a craft-knife blade, or the pointed end of a file, than with a soldering iron.

Wagons used to carry scrap usually have bigger bulges where the electro-magnets used for unloading have hit the sides- to get this effect on 16t mineral wagon kits, I've pressed the heated ball of a ball-pein hammer, or similar into them pre-assembly. Not so easy to do with a R-T-R model, but not impossible..

Oh yes Dave, it's a "must" before weathering.

I did some MBAs with gypsum loads and applied the "technique"

They did look gruesome before the paint went on, but afterwards I think they looked really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Some wagons arrived in the post this week.  Started off with a Tiger Leasing POA.  No washed on this one - mix of enamel paint sprayed on and then various areas rubbed off with IPA

Looks great, that rust effect is most realistic!

Did you rub off the enamel while it was wet or dry and forgive my ignorance, what is "IPA" please?

hello

i seem to recall i rubbed the enamel paint off when it was dry. or at least an hour or two after it was applied, it may not have been completely dry.

IPA is IsoPropyl Alcohol - freely available in stores here in France

Sadly Indian Pale Ale is not so freely available :-(

ta

Dave

same proces was done for this limpet too

the colour is more mucky than rusty - perhaps a little too dark for rust

i have some more in the pipeline to weather, i may play with the colours

Color aside, the effect looks definitely rust- like, thanks for the tips. Those wagons look great!

I know what IPA is now, in fact I have some in the house- both kinds! :-)

• 10 months later...

it's been a while and I have a garage load of work to publish on the web.  Focus has remained on 4mm freight/engineer's stock. However I have branched out into 7mm - much easier to weather IMO, but the relative lack (for the moment) of RTR models means making them yourself and that takes a different kind of patience and skill.....

I bought this 7mm Grampus 2nd hand, largely complete but I was not convinced of the paint finish.  The nice thing about wagons is that paint finishes need not be to the same level of quality as top link locos - they always look battered and bent with bad and rusitng paintwork.

Saying that I decided to give it a makeover.  These always looked a brown/rusty colour so I went with burnt rust as the 'main' colour.  Then built up several layers of weathering using acrylic washes.  I never remember the make-up of the wash (maybe I should) but then no two sets of wagons will look exactly the same however it was a mix of rust, dark brown and weathered black.

'Before' picture first, 'after' picture, um, after.

post-18622-0-58427000-1431794766_thumb.jpg

post-18622-0-06317200-1431794781_thumb.jpg

oh, and the weathering to the planks on the floor, was done using the same wash as the exterior.  Different numbers of coats were applied to different areas/planks to give the uneven weathering effect.

this time a 2nd hand Skytrex 12t van. Some kind of weathering was previously attempted, not sure what exactly.

Results picture first, previous state 2nd.  Again weathering was with a mixture of weathered black, dark brown and corroded rust for the van side. Roof dirt on top, frame dirt underneath.

post-18622-0-19019200-1432048459_thumb.jpg

post-18622-0-47889600-1432048476_thumb.jpg

Tried a different tack with these, two of Hornby's 20t hoppers. I first spray painted rust paint on, then partially removed it with IPA.

For one wagon I then added a mucky wash (the left hand side one), the other I left as was.

post-18622-0-94365500-1432633727_thumb.jpg

post-18622-0-80468400-1432633792_thumb.jpg

Archived