Miniature bricks

cromptonnut

This would just be for a small wall basically - although the idea of "bricklaying" with small bricks would probably drive me :crazy:  ... prices seem to show that if you want more than one set I'd be cheaper to buy the bits and cast my own - or flog them on Ebay like others to recover the cost!

Could be useful for a small diorama at the front of a layout, but for more general work I am rethinking some of the more modern brick papers. My 7mm scale buildings to date have used Slater's embossed brick plastikard, but the painting is very tedious. Have a look at the use of papers on some of the buildings on Worcester South Quay at Warley last year.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78990-warley-anything-of-interest/

• RMweb Premium

Hmm that sounds interesting Mike - would I be right in understanding that it's a similar principle to the old "Linka" moulds? Just make pieces and stick them together?

I've not heard of that supplier before.

The one Giles linked to looks like the Linka type rubber mould but the stencils from Bromley are used with a plaster type of compound that is spread onto the shell and then the stencil is pressed into it to make the brick shapes - as shown on this page (and there is a demonstration video)

http://www.craft-products.com/dolls-house-brick-stone-tiles.asp

The stand at Warley was busy and I didn't get a clear look at the finished product as I was on a time limited break from other duties - I wonder if anyone else has used it and can comment?

250 bricks in reality is only about 4 sq yards of wall....so it could get a touch expensive!

Well the Q&A in the listing gives you an idea of the cost. For a 12" x 9" x 9" building

the complete area of a large building that size is 378 sq ins, for which you would require 30'250 O gauge Bricks (121 packs), this would come to a total of £1208.79 and we would offer a 20% discount on that large quantity bringing it to £965 + £4.75 p&p

That's their price though, I'm assuming that someone buying the bits and making their own it would work out at a much lower price?

But who would have the patience, or be daft enough, to hand-lay individual bricks on something that size I wonder?

I. Should have been more specific in my link..... These are NOT the Linka type, but the individual ones shown in the original EBay post.

Also somewhere on this website are recommendations for mortar etc.....

Here's the page link for the brick mould

http://www.dioramadebris.co.uk/148-scale-german-standard-size-bricks-mould-1480053-53-p.asp

I think I will just settle for the Gordon Gravitt method with the formers and DAS clay, and what with the timber tracks and lasercraft options as well, I think we are well catered for already.

ATB,

Martyn.

Archived