Airfix Royal Scot running problem

I'm looking for some advice on returning an old Airfix Royal Scot.  Heres the problem:

The loco was totally dead.  Examination revealed a break in the motor winding.  We have managed to source a new armature thinking that would solve the problem but we have had only partial success.  The loco is tender drive with pick up through the loco.  When we attach wires to the motors fitted in the tender it appears to work fine. But when we couple to the loco and apply power the loco does not have sufficient power to move.  There is no wheel spin, the motor simply doesn't seem to have enough power to work under load and does not move.  We have ruled out a short circuit between the motor and the track which suggests some problem with the motor.

anyone got any advice?  I have heard of people talking about having old locos "remagnetised" could this be the solution? and if so how does one do it?

Gee Vee

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking for some advice on returning an old Airfix Royal Scot.  Heres the problem:

The loco was totally dead.  Examination revealed a break in the motor winding.  We have managed to source a new armature thinking that would solve the problem but we have had only partial success.  The loco is tender drive with pick up through the loco.  When we attach wires to the motors fitted in the tender it appears to work fine. But when we couple to the loco and apply power the loco does not have sufficient power to move.  There is no wheel spin, the motor simply doesn't seem to have enough power to work under load and does not move.  We have ruled out a short circuit between the motor and the track which suggests some problem with the motor.

anyone got any advice?  I have heard of people talking about having old locos "remagnetised" could this be the solution? and if so how does one do it?

Gee Vee

You say that the tender 'appears to work fine', is it running freely or does it seem sluggish on its own? Could be that the loco is locking up & the tender is then struggling to push the loco in that state. Have you lubricated the loco & tender?

Run the motor with wires connected at 12V, and apply your fingers to the wheel treads to slow the motor. There should be appreciable torque to overcome. If the motor is easily stopped that says weak magnet.

If the motor has enough grunt to resist being stopped, then the loco must be presenting a lot of rolling resistance; follow KevinLMS advice above.

Archived