Garston Bridge (Third time lucky)

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Right third time lucky! This is my third attempt at a layout and this time I'm going to do it properly and take my time. As some of you might of seen I started a blog on my previous layout Garston Bridge, a layout based on a diesel depot on merseyside in the late 1960's. Although it was something I wanted to model, it was missing certain other things, mainly a the fact I couldn't run passenger or fright. After much thought, I decided to adapt Garston Bridge to a terminus layout which lasted about two weeks, the plan looked good but I had doubts over it, I wanted realism and the plan I had just wouldn't cut it as a main line terminus. So if there's doubts then it's not right.

So where did I go from here, what did I want?

1. I wanted something realistic, (at the moment I'm not that bothered about right head codes etc but give me time!!) on Garston Bridge I had three holding sidings, but they could only hold 9 locos, 3 on each road, an to me it just didn't seem right.

2. I wanted to run as near as possible to full length trains, freight and passenger.

3. I wanted some sort of stabling point, ideally an old steam shed being used by diesels.

So that's what I had to try and get into my layout, at the moment I'm limited with space until the house move. So the baseboards will be in 4x2 sections, each section being built at a time, sounds a bit mad I know but I'm going to try to build each board from start to finish then move on to the next, unless we sort the house move soon and the Mrs lets me have the loft, garage or builds me a big shed!!

So I think I have the track plan sorted a four track junction branching off to a two track freight line. There will also be a line branching off to holding sidings and to the old steam shed.

Like the previous layout it will be based on Merseyside in the late 1960's as there was so much going on around the railways of Liverpool and I just love the mix of dirty green diesels with the new blue ones creeping in, although I don't remember any of this as I wasn't born till 77. (I've lived in Liverpool all my life not far from bootle branch and I can vaguely remember class 40's whistling down the then two lines to aintree. I can also say I visited aintree shed before it got demolished!)

I'm hoping they way I build it will allow me to build the shed area as a separate layout if I wish to, that then can just be added to the junction. Quite ambitious I know as I've only come back to the hobby after 20 or so years and much has changed.

The layout will be DCC and all locos will be DCC sound, but points, signals, lights etc will be run off a separate dc circuit. The boards will hopefully be constructed in the next week, but I'll add the track plan below, but no doubt I'll tweak a few bits.

Like always all thoughts and ideas are more than welcome and much appreciated.

Paul

post-18716-0-50563900-1389397712_thumb.jpg

Have you had a look at the Speke Jcn area of Liverpool? It sounds like it has everything you want -

WCML runs past between Allerton and Widnes

Allerton TMD is local

Speke was a loco storage area

Halewood Ford factory uses the area for car trains

Garston docks have container traffic and during your time period had quite a lot of coal traffic

A condensed version of the track plan could probably be made to fit in your layout size, and there is plenty of nice scenic breaks you can play with. I remember this area well from growing up, I used to spend quite a bit of time at Speke sidings and Garston container terminal and as a kid used to get to drive some of the locos in these places, both diesels and the 'new' class 90 electrics.

Mark

Sounds an interesting layout , I'll be watching with interest .

Hope it's third time lucky and get plenty of space for your new layout .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, came across Garston Junction last night whilst googling images, I'll have a look at Speke junction tonight, the layout is based around that area though, just worried if a did an area as vast as Speke etc it wouldn't look as good condensed. Hopefully I'll capture the atmosphere of that area but I'll defo have a look tonight, thanks so much for advice and comments guys.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, came across Garston Junction last night whilst googling images, I'll have a look at Speke junction tonight, the layout is based around that area though, just worried if a did an area as vast as Speke etc it wouldn't look as good condensed. Hopefully I'll capture the atmosphere of that area but I'll defo have a look tonight, thanks so much for advice and comments guys.

Paul

Meant to say thanks to Mark to, the Speke reply was for you.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Have you had a look at the Speke Jcn area of Liverpool? It sounds like it has everything you want -

WCML runs past between Allerton and Widnes

Allerton TMD is local

Speke was a loco storage area

Halewood Ford factory uses the area for car trains

Garston docks have container traffic and during your time period had quite a lot of coal traffic

A condensed version of the track plan could probably be made to fit in your layout size, and there is plenty of nice scenic breaks you can play with. I remember this area well from growing up, I used to spend quite a bit of time at Speke sidings and Garston container terminal and as a kid used to get to drive some of the locos in these places, both diesels and the 'new' class 90 electrics.

Mark

By the way have to say jealous about the driving of the locos!!!!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Been looking at the track plan, the two roads on the branch (top of the diagram) were going to branch off and drop down (a bit like the fright lines at bootle junction) but looking at pics after some replies been thinking this could be the entrance and exit roads to a sorting sidings. This would make things easier as I wouldn't have to drop the lines down a few inches and would give loads of options for freight trains. Got a good feeling about this project which is something I didn't get with the original, I'm actually excited about it!! (Until I start trying to attach point motors an it goes boobs up)

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Not much done so far, I meant to start the baseboards last night but got carried away trying to finish D6992, then plonked it on the yet to be finished baseboard an took a few pics. (Ignore the retaining wall in the background, this will be a grass embankment leading I think to the backs of terrace houses.)

post-18716-0-58114700-1389854141_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-81637900-1389854154_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Started the baseboards today but the mrs (who's on nights) decided to get up early, so that got put on hold till tomorrow. Need to decide tonight whether to go for the cheap n cheerful pm1 point motors which look pretty easy to install or cobalt, I also need to order the powercab, or do I put that in hold for a couple of weeks and 'Biffo' the 37 instead, let's hope I don't just decide to order everything later when I'm on the beer!!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

First two baseboard are done thank god, so with a bit of luck I can start attaching the bus wires and start laying some track this week.

Some pics of my dodgy joinery below and a rough idea of how the track plan will look.

Paul

post-18716-0-04146800-1390149755_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-56256400-1390149769_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-04897800-1390149783_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-35715500-1390149795_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Well Power Cab ordered and after long thought a cobalt point motor, I've just ordered one for now just to make sure I can wire the thing without ripping my hair out!! But after spending most of yesterday searching the forum and the net for 'how to wire cobalts' I think I actually might have the slightest of ideas how to do it. Itching to get the 37 sound chip though, can I wait two more weeks??

Paul

hi paul this looks like its goin to be a interesting layout. all my sounds are biffs also. his sounds are good .My 37 is great fun to drive but i also put the speaker in the tanks . that i think is a must  . . The power cab is a good controller i would also advise on a usb interface for it so you can log your locos and change cvs very easy. . i also had to choose between the seep or cobalt and i chose the seep there are just so easy to wire up and i was bought a elink at xmas off the misses i plan on controling it all of it when i finally get round to buying a  accessory decoder for it but as were expecting our first she wants to get all the baby stuff first. . she is so selfish  anyway ill be watching with intrest   

cheers ian          :senile:  :senile:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

hi paul this looks like its goin to be a interesting layout. all my sounds are biffs also. his sounds are good .My 37 is great fun to drive but i also put the speaker in the tanks . that i think is a must  . . The power cab is a good controller i would also advise on a usb interface for it so you can log your locos and change cvs very easy. . i also had to choose between the seep or cobalt and i chose the seep there are just so easy to wire up and i was bought a elink at xmas off the misses i plan on controling it all of it when i finally get round to buying a  accessory decoder for it but as were expecting our first she wants to get all the baby stuff first. . she is so selfish  anyway ill be watching with intrest   

cheers ian          :senile:  :senile:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Cheers Ian

I'm looking forward to building this layout gona take my time though, glad you like it, I'm trying to design it so it can be as big or small as space permits, so basically two or three layouts over time that mark one big one!! I thought long an hard about the point motors though just hope the gamble pays off!! Defo need to get USB interface to. At the moment all the speakers are fitted where the fans should be but I messaged Biff yesterday about adding extra speakers, but I would like to some how fit them under the exhausts holes.

Thanks for looking and kind comments

Paul

Looking good ,Definitely an interesting project and one worth watching for people with space issues .

I will be watching with interest .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Looking good ,Definitely an interesting project and one worth watching for people with space issues .

I will be watching with interest .

Brian

Thanks Brian

At the moment I'm working on two 4ft boards in a 6ft room so the sooner we move the better, god knows what I'll do if our new house doesn't have a huge loft, garage or shed. :(

The boards I'm starting on will be the junction first, then when that's complete I can start on the two outer boards hopefully by then I'll know how much room I'll have to play with, problem is it's easy to get carried away. But before I start laying any track I what to know exactly were an how the up and down slow an fast lines will exit the scenic area to the right as I want the sidings to eventually lead to the old steam shed. At the moment I'm contemplating them disappearing under a railway bridge carrying a loop line that is supposed to access the off scene sidings etc similar to Edgehill. I'm done a couple of sketches so I'll try an upload one later, I do want to incorporates at the backs if terrace houses though by the junction simlar to those around Allerton an Speke on the route into Liverpool.

Glad you like the work so far

Many thanks

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Think this link should work, just I short vid I did I while back mucking about with the Biffo 40 an 47 on a bit if spare track.

Hope it works

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmaZyfkBOYM

Paul

Think this link should work, just I short vid I did I while back mucking about with the Biffo 40 an 47 on a bit if spare track.

Hope it works

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmaZyfkBOYM

Paul

Well clearly doesn't work so I'll try later after work :(

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well I didn't last long just ordered my Biffo class 37 sound chip.

Not goin to get much done this weekend as I've got the kids but I'm goin to try and get a small scenic board done, just so I can take pics and take some videos of my sound chipped loco's, nothin special just a small 2ft board, two tracks an a tunnel, it'll give me a chance to practice making embankments an scenery etc.

Power Cab and cork underlay should be here next week so I can get the bus wires up and get it all connected ready to start laying track on the junction board. Hopefully thinks will get going a but quicker then!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Some nice looking and sounding engines you've got there .wish I had dcc sound but a bit out my price range In n gauge .

Brian

Thanks Brian

I came back to the hobby just over a year ago and started in n gauge, but after listing to the dcc sound on YouTube I had to change over, it was far to difficult and expensive in n gauge. I've still got a 08, 37, 40, 44, 47 and a 108 along with I load of track I'll have to stick on eBay, that should help with the funds for this project, must admit the detailing on them is great though.

Paul

Well I look forward to seeing and hearing your locos plowing around your layout good luck and modelling . when you put the n gauge on eBay give me a shout and I'll see if there's something I fancy .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Well I look forward to seeing and hearing your locos plowing around your layout good luck and modelling . when you put the n gauge on eBay give me a shout and I'll see if there's something I like.

Brian

Cheers Brian

If you want I'll send you a pm with pics of that I've got, before I stick them on then you can let me know if u fancy anything, I've started the video/photo board so hopefully more soon, and hopefully some point progress on Garston Bridge :)

Thanks again

Paul

Archived