Garston Bridge (Third time lucky)

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian

Think it's my fav although I've got a soft spot for my 47 as it was the first dcc sound I got.

The motor is a bit noises but it sounds good. I'll try an upload the full thrash now.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Day off today so managed to get the bus wires in and some wiring for the dc points, signals etc, also plonked the track back down just so I knew how much room I had etc for terrace houses at the back.

Finally finished the 08 off to although even after a good clean it's still a bit guttery, any ideas how to add extra pics up and were to wire them to greatly appreciated!! This is a Hornby sound fitted, the Bachmann 08 was dead easy this looks a bit different though :(

Paul

post-18716-0-76310500-1391528776_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-65750300-1391528788_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-91988300-1391528810_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-77177200-1391528825_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-70662700-1391529001_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Apparently after searching through the forum, the problems with the 08 could be the volume setting of the Hornby chip, so I'll have to experiment tomorrow with the power cab an change some cv's, scary stuff!! Think it'll be getting sent of within the next month though for a Biffo re-blow penny's permitting.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Changed my very first cvs before on the 08, seems pretty easy :) changed the volume to 120 an it's a lot better but still might need a bit of a clean, big thanks to Steven for the advice last night to!!

Also I wasn't happy with the ride hight if the 37 so I decided to drop it, with sweat an clenched teeth, doesn't look to bad, the other option to make it look even better is cut off the bogie sides and raise them a mm, this will line up the axel boxes with the centre of the axel, thoughts on what you chaps think so far much appreciated, as always pics below!!

I really need to do more on the layout rather than muck around with detailing as there's nothin to run em on!!!!

On a positive note though the Mrs has volunteered her services to build the scalescene low relief terrace houses, happy days one less thing for me to do :D

Paul

post-18716-0-28471600-1391637654_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-05832000-1391637668_thumb.jpg

After seeing your thread and a few others .I'm seriously thinking about getting my engines sound fitted every time I hear one it makes me want to even more .ive had a talk with a few places and its not cheap in n but I've not that many and im really leaning towards it and i might as well start now before I amass a decent amount of stock .

What's the price ( ball park) to get a 00 engine done ?

• RMweb Gold

After seeing your thread and a few others .I'm seriously thinking about getting my engines sound fitted every time I hear one it makes me want to even more .ive had a talk with a few places and its not cheap in n but I've not that many and im really leaning towards it and i might as well start now before I amass a decent amount of stock .

What's the price ( ball park) to get a 00 engine done ?

All my sounds are Legomanbiffo from DC Kits apart from the 08 which was factory fitted, the sound chip normally works out about £106 with a speaker, an I just fit them myself, was proper nervous at first but pretty straight forward once you've done one. Havin said that all my locos r dcc ready, I haven't tried puttin speakers in the tanks or milling out the chassis yet though. I'm not sure if they do n gauge but Biffs on the forum so just send him a pm I'm sure he will be able to help or point u in the right direction. That's the reason I changed from n gauge back to oo after about three months just seemed easier an cheaper, I've seen some vids on YouTube of n gauge sound though an they look/sound really good.

Hope that helps but I'm no expert, I've learnt everything off here an YouTube an I'm sure someone on here will be able to help as well.

Can't beat the sounds though!!

Paul

I'm really fancying sound in them it was one of the things that I said I'd love to have when I got back into the hobby.ive been quoted around £165 to put sound in one of my newer locos give or take a few quid so it doesn't workout that bad to say they do all the work for me (there's no way I dare mess with anything like that) I've a big learning curve to contend with but it's going to be worth it .

I'm hopeing to get my 37done first .

Back to your layout your makeing good progress .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian

The sound really does make a difference an to be honest if I ever do have a play (on a piece if flexi) it just doesn't seem right without sound. I think the n gauge 37 is great I'll do my best to message you the photos I promised of the stuff I'm selling, I also recon £165 is well worth it to fit somethin so small and fiddly. Thanks for the layout compliments to, nothin done since Tuesday hopefully I can get a bit done Monday night.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Oh the pressure ;) well hopefully that will give me the kick up the backside I need to get something done!

For the bus wire I just used 3 core 1.5mm cable (http://m.screwfix.com/p/arctic-flexible-cable-3183yag-3-core-1-5mm-x-10m-blue/95612) from screw fix, think it was around £12 for 10m but I think any type of thickish wire will do, but trust me electrics are not my strong side, it scares the life out of me, I'll wire things up till they work an that's good for me :D it'll prob burst into flames the next day.

Can't wait to get track and electrics laid then I can get on with the detailing like ballasting and painting etc, think that's why I keep getting distracted by weathering an detailing the fleet. One thing I was thinking about the other day is the fact I really do need ohle :( mostly because of where I've based the location and the fact I've got an 85 an really want an electric blue one, but that's for a few years down the line. Bring on the day when I can do a vid of dirty green peaks an whistlers thrashing past 108's, shunters and a shiny new diesel dragging scraped kettles to the breakers!! Well we can all dream

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Small update! Just spent three house wiring up the cobalt point motor to the power, tiny switch and it works :D unfortunately I still have to wire it to the point, drill all the holes and fit the point, this is going to be a long process. One point halfway done only another gods knows how many to go :(

If anyone would kindly like to volunteer to wire and install these please let me know!! Got to be an easier way to have fun?

Happy modelling guys

Paul

• RMweb Gold

After starting to wire the point, I starting thinking this morning about the control panel. Do I need a fancy detachable one with the switches in a track diagram, or should I just line all the switches up and have them numbered, the numbers corresponding to a smaller track diagram? The later would be easier and to be honest who's going to see it apart from the operator?

Any advice or thoughts welcome on this one as I'm going into uncharted territory and I don't have a map! :P

Paul

After starting to wire the point, I starting thinking this morning about the control panel. Do I need a fancy detachable one with the switches in a track diagram, or should I just line all the switches up and have them numbered, the numbers corresponding to a smaller track diagram? The later would be easier and to be honest who's going to see it apart from the operator?

Any advice or thoughts welcome on this one as I'm going into uncharted territory and I don't have a map! :P

Paul

I think this comes down to personnel choice what would be easier for you to operate.on mine i have gone for a mimic track plan with the switches and studs ( ill be using stud and probe for point changing) even when I do go dcc I'll keep it, but if I was to have gone dcc first off I'd have possibly gone for a few rows of point switches and a mimic plan on the wall above the layout with the appropriate number on the only real reason I went this way was to have all the section switches in there right place on the panel just to make it easier .since you don't need section switches you won't need to do that and you could make the control panel a lot smaller and easier to transport .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian

That's what I was thinking, it would a bit neater and would be smaller, all points and colour light signals are still going to be DC but I could have a bank of switches for the points and a separate one for signals, all with corresponding numbers on the track plan. :)

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I picked my AL5 up last June for a bargain off a certain internet auction site whist merry on holiday, wasn't till tonight whilst mucking about I discovered its dcc ready, it wasn't mentioned so presumed it wasn't. I live my diesels but there's something about these early ac's. I can go to bed happy now, just a pity it didn't have a speaker in!!

:D

Paul

post-18716-0-31514300-1392159128_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-90165400-1392159138_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-00212100-1392159150_thumb.jpg

I always thought Bachman did a good job on that model it looks very nice . Although I do like the later version with marker lights and air tanks on top.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

I always thought Bachman did a good job on that model it looks very nice . Although I do like the later version with marker lights and air tanks on top.

Brian

Me to that's how I remember them, can't wait for the electric blue with small yellow ends to come out though (if it ever does that is)

Paul

• RMweb Gold

One of those days when nothing goes right, so decided to weather my n gauge 08 that a friend is having, still a bit to finish on it but not looking to bad, I hope :(

Really need to get in with the layout but loosing my mojo at mo.

Paul

post-18716-0-81140700-1392238694_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-88864100-1392238704_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, think I'm going to start a separate thread on some of my weathering, that way when I'm stuck or need a break from this one I can take my mind off wiring and electrics an do something I enjoy a bit more. I'll keep u posted!!

Thanks again

Paul

Archived