Good Single Collection of Signalling Pictures

I thought this collection of semaphore and colour light signal pictures all in the one place might be useful for people who want a good overview of the type of signalling equipment that exists/existed: http://rpm-railpics.fotopic.net/c717174_1.html . It is the first time I have personally seen such a comprehensive collection on a couple of webpages.

Edit: see The Stationmaster's caution in the posting below.

There are some good, basic descriptions that can then lead people to further research, with key terms such as "lower quadrant", "platform starter", "banner repeater", "co-acting", "position light" and so on. Hopefully useful for those just starting out to put a good quality picture to a particular term without having to search for ages on the Internet.

• RMweb Gold

I thought this collection of semaphore and colour light signal pictures all in the one place might be useful for people who want a good overview of the type of signalling equipment that exists/existed: http://rpm-railpics.fotopic.net/c717174_1.html . It is the first time I have personally seen such a comprehensive collection on a couple of webpages.

There are some good, basic descriptions that can then lead people to further research, with key terms such as "lower quadrant", "platform starter", "banner repeater", "co-acting", "position light" and so on. Hopefully useful for those just starting out to put a good quality picture to a particular term without having to search for ages on the Internet.

However be wary as some of the descriptions are wrong and in several instances could mislead. For example the very well known GWR upper quadrant signal at Oxford North Jcn is described as a 'three position signal' (nothwithstanding the fact it doesn't bear too much resemblance to any 3 position semaphore ever seen in Britain) and - rather misleading for modellers - a GW/WR style bracket fitted with UQ arms (and LM pattern dolls) at Aynho Jcn is described as 'BR standard' when it is actually a fairly heftily kitbashed signal (in all 11 of the descriptions are inaccurate and several more are incomplete especially in respect of Regional differences not being noted or explained).

It should also be noted that most of the signal pictures are modern (last 10 years or so) and that some detail would be incorrect for earlier signals in many cases.

So nice pics but treat with a little caution

(in all 11 of the descriptions are inaccurate and several more are incomplete especially in respect of Regional differences not being noted or explained).

so nice pics but treat with a little caution

Ah, not quite as useful as I had hoped then. As with all things web-based, it had crossed my mind about the accuracy of the descriptions :rolleyes: . I'll leave the link anyway as at least there are some clear pictures and they might act as a starting point for some, coupled with your caveat.

• RMweb Gold

As StationMaster warns.

For example.

The "Unusual platform starter at Butterley" is a gallows

"Yellow shunting disc. This allows the signal to be pased at danger when the associated points are not set for the main line."

Its faded so badly it looks white (not the photographers fault but it could be mentioned) and the definition is wrong.

Of course people could always look at my signalling bits posted on this very forum, with photos and captions :icon_idea:

Archived