The logo is a waterslide transfer so I suppose I could do that if I first mounted it onto a backing but, as it happens, I've applied it to the building anyway. It looked too good to not use it and, IMHO, it looks better applied straight on the corugated iron. If I do backdate the layout I'll cover it up. In addition to the transfer I've made other lettering from Slaters plastic letters. One set, that reads "BRITISH STEEL CORPORATION" is removable, whilst "RIVER DON WORKS" is permanently glued on. Pics tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the Skytrex low-relief building arrived earlier in the week and it's now painted, lettered and ready to plant. The real Gregory Fenton's Beehive Works is down the road from the Eye-Witness works that Mickey posted earlier in this page.

post-494-0-12676600-1393618220.jpg

And... waste not, want not - the scratchbuilt structure that I wasn't happy with (you can see it in original form in post #93 on the previous page) and that has been replaced by the one pictured above has been cut down by a storey and looks better for it. It will now sit partly over the river, mounted on some hefty old ironwork.

post-494-0-55396500-1393618363.jpg

• Like 4

Signage.

post-494-0-16175000-1393677347.jpg

post-494-0-56597900-1393677374.jpg

And here's the ingot painted. I'm going to repaint it using Arthur and Debs technique. It's sat on a short inernal use inly bogie wagon that I've based on a wagon at Tennets Whifflet foundry and a BR Dia. 2/001 40-ton armour plate truck. I've used the chain fastenings style from the Tennents wagons and the dimesions of the BR wagon but the Tennents wagons appear to have a shorter distance from the bogie centre to the headstock so the next one I build will be altered. Of course I've given it a steel deck because BR's wooden planked deck would instantly go up n flames with a hot ingot upon it.

post-494-0-04955400-1393677936.jpg

• Like 14

That building on the girders over the water reminds me of another Sheffield building just like that, passed by thousands of people every day without a second glance. I am referring to the old brewery besides lady's bridge in the wicker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, et al,

I continue to be ever more impressed with this layout.  Some of the more recent pics remind me of part of the RB Tennent works in Whifflet where there was a very tight run-round/headshunt right next to a public road.

My wife  :angel:  was curious as to why I might be interested in modelling something industrial so I showed her this thread.  As a country/town girl she is not familiar with heavy industry but she now understands why some of us would seek to model it.  Another convert! :victory:

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

This link goes to a you tube video of Doorman Long 14, a 4w Sentinel as per the Hornby one, just right for your steelworks!

Mark Saunders

If you`d modelled one with that lovely ex-works (yet working) livery; there`d have been howls of protest about it being "too clean" and "non-prototypical" :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Great piece of film.

Quick question: at the start of the footage the loco comes under some form of 'gantry' with what looks to be a signal, yet it looks to be a bit over-engineered if that's what it is.  Can anyone tell me what it's for?  Thanks.

Nice to see an 'ex-works' working loco for real.

Regards,

Alex.

Alex, I suspect that it is a signal gantry. It doesn't appear to be a self supporting pipe bridge, there are no pipes approaching it at ground level, but there are ground brackets supporting it.

Dorman Long did use colour light signalling at various points at their sprawling, and railway intensive, Teesside works. That video was taken at the, then new, Lackenby steel plant and they may have used tube for their posts and gantries. To the right another post appears which again seems to have a signal head on it.

I'll see if I can find any other photos that might help.

Edit; see the tenth photo down I this posting;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28937-steel-making-on-teeside/?p=385328

It shows similar signal heads at Dorman Longs Clay Lane blast furnaces albeit, mounted on lattice gantries

Edited by Arthur

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any update on this wonderful little layout? :)

Er.. Nope. I haven't done anything with it since my last post. I've not been on here for weeks either. Sporadic interweb connection, computer problems, work, blah blah blah...

The snail is correct, I have become distracted modelling WW1 aeroplanes but I'll get back to this at some point. The biggest turn-off is that more woodwork is required to make the fiddle area and my stocks of arsedness are too low to attempt hacking lumps of wood about at the moment.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Good to hear that you're still with us! No doubt you'll return to River Don Works when you're refreshed and ready.

How about a, strictly off topic, pic or two of your aeroplanes? Sounds interesting.