Hornby R3203 West Country Class 34013 "Okehampton" - Conversion to 34005 "Barnstaple"?

southernelectric

• RMweb Gold

My picture in post 23 above shows the new tender with a deep 'water filler' protruding well above the water tank top

I think that's a box for the gsmr gubbins. 

edit  One of the reasons this post caught my is that 50+ years ago when I was trainspotting 34013 was the number I needed to complete seeing all of the WCs and Battlers. It eluded me for ages until one day I was bunking Eastleigh shed (a regular occurence as I lived not too far from it), went through the railings in Campbell Road, over the coal stage incline and there it was being coaled from the small steam crane they had there to supplement the coal stage.

The shed employees must have wondered what had possessed the poor 11 year old jumping up and down and whooping and hollering.....

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold

If memory serves correctly, the new build 5,250gl tenders differ from those rebodied in the late 50 - early 60's. The original rebodied ones had 2 water fillers and 1 ladder on the left-hand side of the rear of the tender. I know the new build for Sir Archibald Sinclair had a centrally mounted water filler and two ladders, Braunton's appears to be similar to Sir Archies just with an additional box on the back (possibly a storage/toolbox)

It seems that converting the forthcoming Okehampton model to Braunton, in any way that represents the real thing at any time in its life (in service or as now preserved) might be a challenge!

I don't want to do anything clever here, just get some etched plates and send the Okehmapton model to TMC to do the rest (and convert to DCC as that's what my layout will be, not DC).

For now I'll probably just go with getting Okehampton converted to Barnstaple!

Also bear in mind that the badge is a preservation era addition, 34046 didn't carry one in BR days.

http://www.34046braunton.co.uk/res/brauntonrailway/main-board-large.jpg

Interesting....it says in the article about the locomotive, the heraldic crest was designed in 1965. I wonder why they never used it? I really like the look of the black nameplate and the crest....but it seems if I get a second Hornby Okehampton (aside from the one I will use as the 'donor' locomotive for Barnstaple) and use it as the 'donor' locomotive for Braunton with these additions, it will be an entirely fictitious representation of the locomotive!

• RMweb Gold

http://www.34046braunton.co.uk/res/brauntonrailway/main-board-large.jpg

Interesting....it says in the article about the locomotive, the heraldic crest was designed in 1965. I wonder why they never used it? I really like the look of the black nameplate and the crest....but it seems if I get a second Hornby Okehampton (aside from the one I will use as the 'donor' locomotive for Barnstaple) and use it as the 'donor' locomotive for Braunton with these additions, it will be an entirely fictitious representation of the locomotive!

I remember reading somewhere that the man who made the badges fitted to Bulleid locomotives retired in the early 1950s (presumably before he'd got round to making a pair to go on "66 Squadron"!) 

Also, 34046 was withdrawn in October 1965.

John

OT I know but QI all the same. 34105 Swanage never had a crest YET a crest was made for it (just one to my knowledge and I have seen it it many years ago but do not know of its whereabouts now.)  However, there is a picture of it in "The Last Days of Steam in Dorset and Bournemouth" by David Haysom and Julien Parker, published by Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd in 1993, ISBN 0-7509-0108-2, on page 144, should you have access to it.

Edited by geoffers

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding a source of  tender tops for the re-bodied tender as attached to Braunton , G and R Wrenn have brand new unpainted ones for sale on Ebay now for  £13 plus £3 PP.  That's a lot cheaper than the 2nd hand ones also for sale by some sellers. There's even a whole tender going for £75 !

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. The jury's still out on this one for me. Maybe Hornby will produce an as preserved model of it?

In the meantime another conversion I'm contemplating is an un-rebuilt West Country class loco this time - Exeter - and converting it to Bideford.

New thread started here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83443-converting-Hornby-r3115-west-country-class-34001-exeter-into-34019-bideford/

It occurred to me that perhaps an un-rebuilt version of Braunton could be created from the forthcoming Hornby Exeter model. Would this model make for a suitable representation of Braunton in the early 1950s, without modification to the model? 

I have a spare Hornby Torrington I could also use for the purpose, in the early Malachite green livery, late 1940s/very early 1950s I would guess, with no markings on the tender.

Anyone care to comment on which of these, Exeter or Torrington, would be suitable, or both if that's the case?

Edited by southernelectric

• RMweb Gold

It occurred to me that perhaps an un-rebuilt version of Braunton could be created from the forthcoming Hornby Exeter model. Would this model make for a suitable representation of Braunton in the early 1950s, without modification to the model? 

I have a spare Hornby Torrington I could also use for the purpose, in the early Malachite green livery, late 1940s/very early 1950s I would guess, with no markings on the tender.

Anyone care to comment on which of these, Exeter or Torrington, would be suitable, or both if that's the case?

The answer to that one is no, as Braunton was repainted in Brunswick Green in mid 1950 and retained it's original cab till the end of 1953.

The answer to that one is no, as Braunton was repainted in Brunswick Green in mid 1950 and retained it's original cab till the end of 1953.

Right...so if I have understood correctly, the yet to be released Hornby Exeter in brunswick green with the early BR crest markings would be suitable for conversion to Braunton, but not the earlier Torrington model in Malachite Green. Have I got that right?

• RMweb Gold

Right...so if I have understood correctly, the yet to be released Hornby Exeter in brunswick green with the early BR crest markings would be suitable for conversion to Braunton, but not the earlier Torrington model in Malachite Green. Have I got that right?

Yes

• RMweb Gold

Thank you kindly sir!

Thank you! The only other consideration now is the colour of the nameplates and crests for the un-rebuilt Braunton (and Bideford for that matter, as discussed over on the other thread), red or black?

Personally I'd go for Red as it suits West Country's better ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I may as well ask here as Im looking for advice and dont know the class well.

Im looking to model either Braunton or Hartland on my layout and wonder which of the current offerings is best to go for. Given the delay in Hornby bringing new stock Im wondering about going and ordering a current DCC Sound West Country for the conversion, as ideally Id like it to be a DCC Sound model rather than then have to go and fit sound, and renumber etc.

Thanks in advance for advice...

• RMweb Gold

Im looking to model either Braunton or Hartland on my layout and wonder which of the current offerings is best to go for. Given the delay in Hornby bringing new stock Im wondering about going and ordering a current DCC Sound West Country for the conversion, as ideally Id like it to be a DCC Sound model rather than then have to go and fit sound, and renumber etc.

Thanks in advance for advice...[/quote

Presumably you are looking for a rebuild? You could buy the current offering 34040.It is a very fine model...and with the added advantage of having loco and tender permanently coupled.The sound is good enough for me....and I've heard many of them in my time.Let you into a secret.I operate mine on DC analogue....that makes me smile. I think you'll be pleased. Look out for ones that come up on e-bay.

Guest Belgian

Thanks in advance for advice...

Are you looking to model them in BR condition or as preserved (since both of them are), in Original or Rebuilt condition?

Tenders are a bit of a minefield. In Original condition 'Braunton' had a 4,500 gallon tender but upon Rebuilding it received a BR re-bodied tender, as modelled by Hornby-Dublo (and later Wrenn). On return to the mainline and in preservation it has received a reproduction of that latter tender.

In Original condition 'Hartland' had a 5,500 gallon tender which it retained upon Rebuilding. When bought preservation there was no tender still available from the Light Pacific types so it received a 'Merchant Navy' tender, which it still appears to have. It's thus not 'prototypically correct' as a preserved engine today!!!!

The current Hornby DCC Sound fitted 34040 doesn't have a tender suitable for either of these engines in Rebuilt condition as it has a 4,500 cut-down tender, which neither 'Braunton' nor 'Hartland' ever ran with in service nor in preservation.

JE

• RMweb Gold

Would also point out that Hornby have altered the innards of the tender to enable fitment of the sound chip, so you wouldn't be able to swap tender tops with the older ones without modification. Also the later releases are a darker green ;)

Id be wanting a donor engine that is capable of modelling either in the present preserved sense. Ideally first choice would be Braunton, second, Hartland. The prupose of this engine is almost a token - given theres no chance I can have a fleet of full Eastern engines to run on the line today. So one or two others creep in. That said a mainline machine is better as it matches the other ones that I have.

• 4 months later...

This is slightly off topic, but Braunton was mentioned. I see there are two Hornby Re-Built West Country Class "Braunton" on ebay. New models with sound R3160XS - which is the same R number for Wincanton. There is mention in a previous posting about the wrong tender, and for that reason Hornby decided to produce Wincanton - but did they produce both??  They are priced at full RRP with no mention of re-name or numbering - in fact one is described as still sealed in its box. Am I losing it, or were some produced as Braunton?

Edited by Bulleidboy100

• RMweb Gold

This is slightly off topic, but Braunton was mentioned. I see there are two Hornby Re-Built West Country Class "Braunton" on ebay. New models with sound R3160XS - which is the same R number as Wincanton. There is mention in previous posting about the wrong tender, and for that reason Hornby decided to produce Wincanton - but did they produce both??  They are priced at full RRP with no mention of re-name or numbering - in fact one is described as still sealed in its box. Am I losing it, or were some produced as Braunton?

It was going to be released as Braunton, but was changed at later date due to the Tender issue mentioned elsewhere in the thread. I suspect it's a typo.

This is slightly off topic, but Braunton was mentioned. I see there are two Hornby Re-Built West Country Class "Braunton" on ebay. New models with sound R3160XS - which is the same R number as Wincanton. There is mention in previous posting about the wrong tender, and for that reason Hornby decided to produce Wincanton - but did they produce both??  They are priced at full RRP with no mention of re-name or numbering - in fact one is described as still sealed in its box. Am I losing it, or were some produced as Braunton?

As toboldly go says it's clearly a mistake. I'd love Hornby to do Braunton in its current preserved form, with the crest. I've also mention to SK before now it would be great if Hornby could do it. It's only the tender they'd have to tool from scratch I think.