Scalefour North 2014, April 12th/13th

Wizard of the Moor

I must have missed these as I can't think of one other then Retford. I only visit ExpoEM, Scaleforum,Railex and Chatham where large layouts tend to be other than that it is small local exhibitions which don't have the space generally. I also think that the cost to an exhibition is a major consideration in todays climate. The layout I am building will end up as 28 feet long although the viewable will be 18 feet. As it is a real location then it will only be short trains as per the prototype. We were building a model of Cole on the S&DJR but the group has contracted and interet waned so the new layout is a North Eastern layout as that is my interest.

Retford of course is not just 'large'..put it this way when you are up at the Great Central end you need binoculars to see the signals at the far end..well I do!

'Wibdenshaw' always impresses me and hits the spot in so many ways..could watch it all day..and it is a good size and well operated EM layout.

Of course some of the best received and most popular fine scale layouts are not even EM but 4mm fine scale.

'Dewsbury Midland' and I believe 'The Gresley Beat' are all 4mm Finescale as is our 'Alloa' and all have large footprints and because the care has been taken to have scale track and hand built points with large radii exactly as the prototype..our track was built using a paper template laid down of the exact station & junction plan..they look correct.

We are often asked if the layout is EM which is a compliment however the group were too far down the road with stock etc to build Alloa in EM.

Another of our group is close to completing a large EM layout which will be stunning and hopefully will appear 2015/16.

Meantime we will be at Railex in May..drop by and say hello..look forward to chatting.

Dave 

Archived