Scalefour North 2014, April 12th/13th

Wizard of the Moor

Just looked up the College pub on the internet.Described as a sport pub, should be alright for a fight then, if anyone should care to join me,usually sometime after 2 in the afternoon Saturday, I'll be the gormless looking bald drunk in John Lennon specks.I also look like a railway modeller and no doubt will be carrying a large Scalefour carrier bag.

Excellent show guys....just arrived back in the Moorlands laden with goodies (6 of David Geen's brass milk tank kits and a similar number of detailing etches for same from Justin Newitt), also 5 x bogie bolster E etches from Justin. Couldn't resist a Cambrian 'dance hall' brake van kit, nor Mike King's 'Southern Wagons in colour'. Great to chinwag with some old friends and demonstrators....I think that I've found the technique that I'll be using for the track on TG thanks to Howard Bolton (JFS) of Scalefour forum parish. 

Dave

Just back myself.Really good exhibition as usual superb trade presence.Really liked Clecklewyke.

Bring and buy proved a disappointment, got to the stand at 1020am and not a D/S NER kit in sight,they were obviously snaffled up in pretty short order!

Ordered myself an NER Class U tank from Arthur Kimber of North Eastern kits,he's a really nice guy.Had a chat with John Redrup of London Road Models and bought a load of NER chimneys domes and safety valves.Couple of kits from David Geen and the wheels etc to go with em from Allan Gibson.completed my shopping trip!

Really like the new venue lots of room and nearer to the station.

The pub down the road The College is really nice too.

Altogether a reet good day out!

Ps The spellcheck for Cleckwyke is clockwork.Surely not, it looked better than that to me.

Edit: to change Cleckwyke to the proper name Clecklewyke I humbly apologise to the builders.Result of making posting after combination of memory scrambling drinking session in the College pub and being too tight to buy a show guide.

• RMweb Premium

Utterly agree the comment above that " you have to admit these P4 guys and gals know what it's all about.Respect to them all"! Many thanks to those who have posted photos.

Is it Cleckwyke or Clecklewyke? If the latter, how on earth do you pronounce it? John

• RMweb Gold

Really good show, no D&S kits Iain? Probably because 5 of them were in my bag...

Had a play with Croft Yard, I had to, Porcy should have been but he was nattering. Thought my eyes were going, turns out the coupling hook was rubbish!

...hmmm, I got stuck in the one way system on the wrong side of the buses/taxis only part and felt that I'd be better parking on one of the city centre car parks then making my way on foot, as I couldn't be far away. Sure enough I found it fairly easily on foot and got in the queue at around 09.45. Now that I've been once I'd feel confident about finding the exhibition car park next time. The absence of signs on the bypass/ring road thingy didn't help.

Dave 

Re comment above about Bring and Buy stall: I was at the stall before 10.05am, i.e. less than 5 minutes after official opening-to-the-public time. There was NO huge scrum around the stall but almost every one of the D & S kits had already been hoovered up. At the slow speed at which payments were being processed it was perfectly obvious that the stall had not been cleared in just 5 minutes, but that buying had been allowed in advance of the show. Rumours were rife suggesting that one individual well-known for re-selling on eBay had been allowed to BULK buy too, instead of these very reasonably priced items being allowed to go to genuine end-user modellers who would almost certainly have cleared the stand anyway - had they been allowed the chance. There was already one LARGE cardboard box "under the counter" behind the stall filled with pre-sold items, mostly D & S by the look of it, and whilst I stood at the stall totally unable to oblige a couple of friends who had asked me to get items for their use if I could, somebody turned up with a cheque to pay for a purchase agreed prior to the show.

Is this considered to be fair:

1) To the paying customers at the show who may have been attracted in part by the advance publicity for the bring and buy stall, &

2) To the party on whose behalf the lot was being sold only at reasonable prices (meant I guess to suit actual modellers) when much of it will now presumably re-appear on eBay with somebody making a big fat profit out of it.

??????

I only ask. It didn't bother me as I wasn't hoping to get any "choice" D & S items myself, but I presume some of those who did hope to at least get a reasonable chance to buy may be feeling a little sore. 

I can see this bothers you quite a lot...even before the event .....

My point was proven that's all Mickey, as someone exhibiting at the show bought an item for me at 9.50 am........but I feel it is not fair practice.

However, I thought it a cracking show, and credit to the organizers for making the move from the previous venue a huge success.

The show was fine but the signage to it could have been better. I went to get a cup of tea at 11:45 and concluded the catering was a disaster waiting to happen so I was pleased that I had decided to make my own arrangements.

• RMweb Gold

The show was fine but the signage to it could have been better. I went to get a cup of tea at 11:45 and concluded the catering was a disaster waiting to happen so I was pleased that I had decided to make my own arrangements.

I believe the caterers had double booked and couldn't commit sufficient resources.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments on the catering. Setting off in a short while and you have given me the chance to make up a packed lunch!

Looking forward to the usual good day out (and that coming from an EM modeller!!).

Last year I announced myself as the EMGS quality inspectior at the door and they still let me in.

Scalefour North has become a "must go" event, not just for the top quality modelling and trade but for the great bunch of people that you meet up with there for a bit of a natter.

Tony

Really good show, no D&S kits Iain? Probably because 5 of them were in my bag...

Had a play with Croft Yard, I had to, Porcy should have been but he was nattering. Thought my eyes were going, turns out the coupling hook was rubbish!

Beaten to 'em by a  better man and modeller.I look forward to your photo's when you build 'em Paul. I don't mind being beaten to the post by someone who's obviously going to build the kits,but if any of the other fast selling kits reappear for reselling on e-bay. :triniti:  :butcher:

Iain the Avenger.

All in all a very good show certainly, although Scalefour's potential as a viable modelling scale would not have been well advertised by one layout which, despite its good size, attractive appearance, beautiful stock and intriguing historical nature seemed consistently unable to run a train for more than five seconds without derailment or spontaneous uncoupling.

Nice to go to a small show with plenty of pre grouping railway. The S&DR was rather nice as was the. GER layout from Holland, they probably had a shorter distance to travel than the guys from Scotland!

• RMweb Premium

I thoroughly enjoyed my day there today. Much talking, some lovely modelling on display and a good range of traders.

I prefer the new venue. It is much better that everything was in one hall together, rather than the previous one, where corridors and the edges of the dining area were used as the main are wasn't big enough to hold everything.

There were some very nice layouts there although I will single out Flintfield for special mention. It looks great, is very nicely presented and was running really nicely. It was a good opportunity to personally congratulate the builder on his fine modelling and just as I was saying this, he was awarded the cup for the most popular layout.

Out of all the layouts there, most seemed to be running well when I watched them, with one exception, which is a "work in progress" layout which clearly still needs some "debugging" when it comes to operation.

The only thing I would suggest as an improvement would be in the balance of the types of layouts. Everything seemed to be based on short trains and slow running. The longest train I saw was a set of 6 carriages (6 wheelers) behind a tank engine on Brighton Road and I don't think that I saw anything move at above a scale 25mph.

Perhaps a bit more variety type of layout and operational style might improve this excellent show still further.

A nice "roundy roundy" with perhaps 6 or 7 bogie carriage trains running at 50 - 60 mph scale speeds would be an absolute winner if modelled to the sort of quality on view on the layouts there.

But that is a very minor niggle and I totally enjoyed a pretty much full day there with what was on show.

Tony

Archived