Bespoke Station announcements

KimHoffmeister

Hello,

Andy has kindly allowed me to post here to explain a service I may be able to offer some of you.

I am a voice over artist, generally working on audio books and adverts. My style is very 'Queen's English'.

Recently I was hired by a gentleman with a model railway layout to create bespoke announcements; a little snippet of which can be heard here

Is this something which other people would be interested in? I work with a studio called Reel Films and we can produce a variety of effects, and sounds, and all with a quick turnaround.

Thank you for letting me make the suggestion Andy and I look forward to hearing from others if they believe there is any mileage in this sort of service.

Kim.

For years I have been looking for a DVD that plays station announcements (for the ER) as they sounded back in about 1955/60.  Essentially i would like to have it as background sound when i have visitors.  Don't know if this is possible but you asked

Hello Horsetan, yes - my announcements were recorded for a DCC layout.

Theakerr - I think creating a long playing CD of background noise would be cost prohibitive to the customer, unless there were many customers! There may however, be effects or royalty-free, stock audio to be purchased on a sound clip site?

I like the 'echo' effect,  although, Tannoy announcers were only / usually heard in larger stations.

Some stations' announcements were / are clearer than others.  Maybe a 'muffled' voice would suit a fictitious layout ?... with the Guard's Thunderer thrown in, for good measure.

(Plus Marching Band music for anyone modelling Waterloo :sungum:)

All the best.

• RMweb Gold

I would expect there to be a number of modellers interested in such a service. The "Queen's English" bit is important, as that was exactly what Southern Region got back in the '70s, with Angela Peberdy, working with Infomat Services at Mitcham, who did recorded announcements for many stations. I also did some recordings there, mainly for my own station at Dartford, much to the chagrin of the staff, who heard my recorded voice years after I'd moved on to annoy others!

In the 1952 film "This Is York", available through the BFI DVD collection, the lady announcer enunciates in a fashion that is clearly not native to the County of Yorkshire, but about 160 miles further south.

I hope there are some expressions of interest.

I must admit I was not thinking of a long playing DVD but rather something in the region of 30 mins.  Much longer than that I think it would drive most people crackers and if they did want to run it longer they could just set it up on repeat.  Further, i did not envisage anything "accurate" since it would take too much time to research.  Rather a sort of generic one with individual stations put in to suite each region.  Thus it would be something like "The train arriving at platform 2 is the 10:30 from  Manchester/York/Guildford (Take your choice) and will depart at 10:40 for Kings Cross/Waterloo/St Pancreas stopping at etc etc".  for me its getting that muffled tannoy sound with that unique Queens english

I recorded a series of announcements for "Kings Oak" which I put onto a cheap MP3 player with an external speaker, recorded as a series of tracks so that I could pause and fast forward through them as appropriate.  After five minutes the Kings Oak public address mysteriously "broke down" as I couldn't stand the sound of my own voice droning on about trains to Birmingham Snow Hill and Castlewich.  In that respect a professional v/o artist has some attractions!

Archived