Dapol Class 153 Bogie towers

traction

• RMweb Gold

I bought the East Midlands train Livery Dapol Class 153 soon after it had come out.

Not too long after this I removed the bogie's to clean the wheels.

They did come out fairly easily at first but after a few cleans the arms that hold them into the chassis broke off.

I asked Dapol for spares and other service centers but nothing!

In the end I managed to buy another Class 153 but again the same thing happened.

It was becoming a joke so I asked Pete and sent him the offending parts:-

post-6745-0-17748100-1390154500_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-54208700-1390154514_thumb.jpg

Hopefully you can just about see the new one, it's the only one with BOTH towers on although the photo is too dark and the parts are very small!

Pete did the drawings and had them 3D printed, and they work perfectly!

Yes they are not smooth like the originals but it doesn't matter as they can't be seen, they fit into the bogie perfect and the gears fit nicely into the holes, I now have two working Class 153's!

Thought I'd post this so if anybody else has this problem, Pete's the man that can!

Cheers

Ian

It's interesting to think about the point that you have made in your post. I agree that Pete's done a great job of solving your problem.

What made me think though, was whether this is a way forward for the future.  Will manufacturers make their spares available via 3D printing and if you needed something, you would just order it from Shapeways or the like? 

I recognise that some spares need to be made of specific materials to do their job, and others would be better painted but for many parts this could be a good way forward, with the manufacturers not having to hold any stocks of their spares as they would just be printed out by users when they needed them.

Food for thought.

Cheers

Jeremy

• 1 year later...

This exact thing has happened to my class 153 (London Midland) but the bogie tower hasn't snapped off completely, it is just very loose and delicate, but it still wont clip back into the chassis properly. I too was cleaning mine, and after taking it out I noticed it was loose. Whenever I put the bogie back in it just falls straight out again, and I haven't yet found anywhere that can fix this!

• 6 years later...

Just searching the site as i've had the very same issue! Popped the bogies out to clean and popped them back in ( as i've done with countless units) and the bogie just dropped out. When i looked closely i realised one tower/clip had sheared off!

Is there someone i can contact to get a replacement from?  Is Pete still 3D rpinting them or has anyone the file to print a replacement from? Thanks in advance, Bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...