Services through Paisley ,Elderslie,the Lochwinnoch loop and Dalry

Legend

Thanks for the acidic reminder pH.  I have never seen a picture of a Caley loco at Kilmarnock prior to the grouping, so I'm totally in the dark about how much they exercised their joint rights in terms of actual running.  Admittedly most photos will be after the opening of the easternmost line of the four built to cream off Ardrossan traffic and, from Earl Eglinton's point of view, further exploit the harbour.  A driver for that line was not to pay the Sou' West for using the GBKJR, for the same reason (as well as an easier gradient profile) the Sou' West routed its goods along the Long Road.  I suppose the Caley could have sent goods to Kilmarnock on it's own line to Lugton and switched there for the last 8 miles or so to Kilmarnock, but would probably have used Muirkirk if the destination was beyond Kilmarnock.  The rates and routes for freight and coal all over the country seem to have been Byzantian in their complexity.

Additonally, it seems the Caley concentrated on passenger service within Glasgow which the Sou' West struggled with and then pretty much gave up on (except for stations on the Canal Line) preferring to provide services from outlying towns.

Archived