Compton Martin Model Railway Exhibition 2014

SDJR7F88

What's that?

Do a rather strict video instructing those who want to go with a layout, to post in the comments section all the days they're unavailable!

Give the results to me, I'll invert them, make a 'Stem and Leaf' Diagram out of the results, then find the modal date!

Do a rather strict video instructing those who want to go with a layout, to post in the comments section all the days they're unavailable!

Give the results to me, I'll invert them, make a 'Stem and Leaf' Diagram out of the results, then find the modal date!

Clever idea mate! The date with the most votes wins! :mail: Will do video tomorrow on it or something along those lines. Thanks!

That reminds me, I have around 5 locos that you can borrow if you want, for the exhibition! :)

Thanks and no problem their, my friend (who was operating Compton Quay last year) will hopefully be bringing his S&D fleet to run on Compton Martin too!

Thanks and no problem their, my friend (who was operating Compton Quay last year) will hopefully be bringing his S&D fleet to run on Compton Martin too!

I'll bring them anyway, so you can use them if you need to! They're of Br Ex-GWR Stock apart from one, which can be used of Compton Quay! :)

Chaps just something to bear in mind, exhibitions in the summer traditionally do less well than winter ones, so if you are worried about attendance you may want to avoid July/August, also many exhibitors are on holiday so it's more difficult to get layouts as well.

Chaps just something to bear in mind, exhibitions in the summer traditionally do less well than winter ones, so if you are worried about attendance you may want to avoid July/August, also many exhibitors are on holiday so it's more difficult to get layouts as well.

Thanks for the info. Thought it would be the other way around for this one, as many people want to come a distance to display at it and want to make a holiday of coming down here. Plus as you know Compton Martin tends to be a bit of a one horse town at times. :jester:  I would like to hold it again the same date as last year, but there are a few problems leaving it until then...

1. Hornbyandbf3fan want be able to make it due to Warley, I would really like him to be there as he was a great help advertising the last one and could not make it then.

2. The biggest problem is the venue maybe in different owner ship by then. If the own (my boss) sells the place there maybe the chance the new owners won't allow it, take control of the event or put a charge on the room and event. Meaning it won't be a free to entry any more (which was what made the event so popular last year).

I am uploading another video tonight, asking about potential dates. The date which has the most votes (the one the most layout and visitors could potentially make it too), will be the date.  

Hope this makes sense, as I feel I am caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment. :dontknow: 

Callum 

Hi Guys. Did a bit of discussing and think last night and have come up with a plan. A video will be uploaded later on today ask you guys what would be the best date for the event. The date with the most votes will be the date the event will be held on! :locomotive:  Thanks for you thanks for patients and support! :good: 
Callum/SDJR7F88

As you say, not the best time to try without clashes with so many other activities.

Yes, I it is big problem. But no worries. Just uploading a video about finding a more suitable date, hopefully I will get a date were nearly all of the layouts wanting to come can make it! :locomotive: Will post it on here when it is done.

Not seen your video but if you are serious about a July date,the village fete is in or around July, have you thought about coinciding with that bearing in mind the RingO Bells is just over the road and will have a lot of families like mine who return home to the roost so to speak.

Thanks for the info. Thought it would be the other way around for this one, as many people want to come a distance to display at it and want to make a holiday of coming down here. Plus as you know Compton Martin tends to be a bit of a one horse town at times. :jester:  I would like to hold it again the same date as last year, but there are a few problems leaving it until then...

1. Hornbyandbf3fan want be able to make it due to Warley, I would really like him to be there as he was a great help advertising the last one and could not make it then.

2. The biggest problem is the venue maybe in different owner ship by then. If the own (my boss) sells the place there maybe the chance the new owners won't allow it, take control of the event or put a charge on the room and event. Meaning it won't be a free to entry any more (which was what made the event so popular last year).

I am uploading another video tonight, asking about potential dates. The date which has the most votes (the one the most layout and visitors could potentially make it too), will be the date.  

Hope this makes sense, as I feel I am caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment. :dontknow: 

Callum 

Is Big Rich's up for sale then?

Is Big Rich's up for sale then?

Not to sure, I hope he doesn't. The villager's have been really hostile to him setting this place up. They have not looked at what it has done for the community. The place gave a job, which is very had to find in this area and has also given me the opportunity to hold this event at for free. Sadly both are on the line now due to this. I just hope I can still host it there. :drag: 

Not seen your video but if you are serious about a July date,the village fete is in or around July, have you thought about coinciding with that bearing in mind the RingO Bells is just over the road and will have a lot of families like mine who return home to the roost so to speak.

That a though, certainly might get a few more visitors! But it is just getting the layout there. There always seem to be one or two layouts that can't make it on the dates I say. An then when I posted that video and asked them what is best for them they said up to you! :jester: Will have to see, if not it will have to be November like last year, only problem is if Hornbyandbf3fan make it due to him going to Warley with his layout a week or so later and if the café is still open. I don't know how the organisers of Warley do this! :jester:  By the way checked out your layout, it looks amazing! :good: 

Hi

I could bring Yard Shunter if you have space.

Must say you have an amazing layout Ray! And would love to have you there, but sadly I am putting plan on hold for the moment.

To much going on and having trouble finding the right day for the event. Plus there venue is going though a bit of a transaction at the moment, so not sure if we will be able hold it there, even after all the planning. If it were to go ahead, judging by the size of your layout it would have to go in the restaurant with some of the other planned layouts. If that's ok.

I don't want to let anyone down by not organising and holding the event, but every thing seem to be out of my control at the moment. Ever so sorry about all this.

Callum

Must say you have an amazing layout Ray! And would love to have you there, but sadly I am putting plan on hold for the moment.

To much going on and having trouble finding the right day for the event. Plus there venue is going though a bit of a transaction at the moment, so not sure if we will be able hold it there, even after all the planning. If it were to go ahead, judging by the size of your layout it would have to go in the restaurant with some of the other planned layouts. If that's ok.

I don't want to let anyone down by not organising and holding the event, but every thing seem to be out of my control at the moment. Ever so sorry about all this.

Callum

I  take it from this there is some think going on regarding ownership of the business if that is the case you need to announce that event is on hold due to staging issues to do with the venue maybe you should think of a change of venue the village hall maybe for this year until its talked over with new owners im sure its worth thinking about.

May I just extend my gratitude to big rich for letting us hold the event last year and wish him luck with his future plans and I hope if he will become a regular attender of your event if he dose sell on, if you manage to hold the event again. 

I  take it from this there is some think going on regarding ownership of the business if that is the case you need to announce that event is on hold due to staging issues to do with the venue maybe you should think of a change of venue the village hall maybe for this year until its talked over with new owners im sure its worth thinking about.

May I just extend my gratitude to big rich for letting us hold the event last year and wish him luck with his future plans and I hope if he will become a regular attender of your event if he dose sell on, if you manage to hold the event again. 

Thanks you ever so much Richard! I'm sure I will go ahead, but it looks like it will be more likely to take place in November, like last year. Certain layout can't make the dates that I have mentioned before. The business does seem to be going through a lot of changes as the moment, so will see what's happening in the summer, then I could start planning it from there, when I know everything is 100% sure.

Another problem is myself :jester: ! It is so hard planning an event like this and takes up a lot of my free time (which I don't have a lot of at the moment as you probably know). It can be very stressful trying to plan dates and get layout there, if you know what I mean. So will have to see what situation I am in to closer to the when I think I can hold it.

Will keep you posted!

Thanks again

Callum :locomotive: 

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys. Don't think it will be going ahead any more.

That's a shame

Last time I spoke to my parents I was led to believe Big Rich's is closed (temporarily?)

Hi Guys. Sadly don't think it will be going ahead no more. We have not closed down completely, think the villagers who have a pet hate for the business has got to them, as they have told everyone we are closed :rtfm: , when we are still open on certain days (this is due to the lack of customer due to this). This also means I have lost my job, so I only have one day of income.  :cry: Which mean most of my model projects have been put on hold.

If it where to go ahead, I can't see if being very successful due to the lack of staff to run the restaurant, with me being upstairs. 

Ever so sorry about all this. :no2:

Hope you find new work mate villages can funny,oh well they must not need the jobs down there.

I thought you would be heaving in the summer but that's the way it goes seems the only thing that dose well is realy posh places or giant school cafeterias. 

maybe being right next to a dairy you could of used that some how. 

Please re extend my thanks to big rich for having us last year if you have contact again.     

Archived