Bachmann 08 Front Steps - a 3D modelling possibility?

Jon020

I'm reworking a Bachmann 08 and I've managed to mangle one of the two of the front steps whilst trying to widen them... and now either need a replacement from Bachmann (a give-up position) or another method of improvement. One option I wondered was whether such an item could be 3-D modelled, possibly a shapeways product. There are none that I can find already available but I did wonder whether others here might find such an item useful and whether anyone here might be willing to give it a go??? 

Illustration of the real thing http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5857670722/in/set-72157626890681895 courtesy of Brian Daniels' very useful flickr pages.

Cheers... Jon

OOh, Hi Jon... what's this? A new avatar! I did look for Hornby Spares but couldn't ID the item and couldn't therefore find a listing anywhere for the items... but if you could look that'd be a help, cheers.

It'd be nice to sort this front-end detail; having gone to the effort of Ultrascale wheels and brassmasters rods (which all seem to work well - worked up this week)... it's be a shame to skimp on body details.... I started off not seeing what was wrong with the model and started looking through some old articles in Model rail and then some close ups on Brian D's photo pages... which highlighted areas to work. This is one of them.

Alternative will be to man-up and buy some metal bits from Eileens and try to solder something up... which would really push my "skill"... or lack of... to its limits to be honest.

Hope you're well, and hope to bump into you soon....

Jon

Hi Jon

In your other thread concerning the building of the Brassmasters coupling rods, I posted a couple of photos of the loco I had done with them whilst still retaining the original Bachmann wheelesets.

If you look closely you may be able to make out the etched front and rear steps fitted to the loco. These were taken from an etched chassis and detailing kit produced by Impetus Models (Robin Arkinstall?) some years ago. The kit preceded the introduction of the Bachmann RTR version and as the Bachmann model ran much better than my kit built example I just swapped the detailing bits over. Not sure if its still available (either direct or via e-bay).

Alternatively could Pete Harvey help?

Hi Jon

In your other thread concerning the building of the Brassmasters coupling rods, I posted a couple of photos of the loco I had done with them whilst still retaining the original Bachmann wheelesets.

If you look closely you may be able to make out the etched front and rear steps fitted to the loco. These were taken from an etched chassis and detailing kit produced by Impetus Models (Robin Arkinstall?) some years ago. The kit preceded the introduction of the Bachmann RTR version and as the Bachmann model ran much better than my kit built example I just swapped the detailing bits over. Not sure if its still available (either direct or via e-bay).

Alternatively could Pete Harvey help?

Thanks Mike. yes, they do look much better, but I couldn't find any on a search; I suspect they've become hard to find. I've one more port to try .. but yes maybe Pete ???? 

• 2 months later...

Hi Jon

How are the steps going on the 08 project?

Pete

Hi Pete,

yes sorry. Project's gone on hold for a while whilst I panic about finishing my ViT 47s for our local exhibition on May 17th (Burgess Hill MRC). the 08 will be a work-in-progress display only. Steps were reasonably easy to fabricate and with a little fiddling got fitted.

post-8351-0-79208500-1398373355_thumb.jpg

For handrails, I bought some short handrail knobs from Gibsons and used wire for the rails. All in all looks nice. Lots of other details to go on the underframe and bufferbeam and I need to finish the rods (counter pick up) etc.... but yes, worthy of consideration as a good product.

post-8351-0-60019000-1398373487_thumb.jpg

Cheers.... Jon

....etched front and rear steps fitted to the loco. These were taken from an etched chassis and detailing kit produced by Impetus Models (Robin Arkinstall?) some years ago. ....Not sure if its still available (either direct or via e-bay).

eBay only. We are unlikely to see any return of Impetus. It was taken over many years ago by Karlgarin Models, and has basically died.

eBay only. We are unlikely to see any return of Impetus. It was taken over many years ago by Karlgarin Models, and has basically died.

didn, t I give you a imputus 08 chassis kit a few years back, perhapswe need the revisit it and have a gander toseehow therestepswere done.

Trebor

didn, t I give you a imputus 08 chassis kit a few years back, perhapswe need the revisit it and have a gander toseehow therestepswere done.

Trebor

Good idea. And maybe revisit the rest of the chassis as well to make it CSB-friendly?

Good idea. And maybe revisit the rest of the chassis as well to make it CSB-friendly?

perhaps you could have a look, as you were looking at doing some etchdrawings a while back, perhaps you could cut your teeth on the steps.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

For handrails, I bought some short handrail knobs from Gibsons and used wire for the rails. All in all looks nice. Lots of other details to go on the underframe and bufferbeam and I need to finish the rods (counter pick up) etc.... but yes, worthy of consideration as a good product.

attachicon.gifRMW-IMG_0938.jpg

Cheers.... Jon

Hi Jon

Just catching up on this thread, the 08 looking very tasty so far!

But I keep being distracted by the gorgeous looking track beneath! Where did you get the fine ballast here, is it a homemade-type P4 dust or something that can be bought? I really like how small and fine it looks, just the effect I'm looking for on something I'm modelling,

Cheers

James

Hi Jon

Just catching up on this thread, the 08 looking very tasty so far!

But I keep being distracted by the gorgeous looking track beneath! Where did you get the fine ballast here, is it a homemade-type P4 dust or something that can be bought? I really like how small and fine it looks, just the effect I'm looking for on something I'm modelling,

Cheers

James

Hi James... it's good isn't it ;-)

Carrs 2mm light grey mixed in with Carrs Ash Ballast. Rear through line is mostly 2mm light grey will hardly any ash ballast. My ballast of choice - looks good, easy to lay and sticks well.

If you want to see it and you're in the area on the 17th - why not pop in to the BHMRC show in Burgess Hill... it'll be there with me in my usual spot.

Thanks

Jonathan.

• RMweb Premium

Nice, thanks Jon, will keep an eye out for the ballast!

Afraid I can't make Burgess Hill this year, up in London seeing Ricky Gervais in the evening and thought we'd make a day of it!! Hopefully catch up with you at another show soon though of course!

Loving your 47/8s by the way, great finish and that Virgin one is right up my street! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it too late to ask for 2 sets please? I've got 1 Bachmann 08 with the Brassmasters rods, but a set of Bill Bedford ones for my other Gronk. However, the BB ones look, with the 3 laminates for soldering together, as if they will be rather thick. I have a spare B/master set as I found the soldering up and then enlarging the hold for the crank pin somewhat fraught (I ripped one of the holes on my first set). Both gronks are EM-ed with Ultrascale wheels so, as already mentioned, it'd be a shame to skimp on the chunky steps.

Ian S

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived