Corrugated roof scratch building

Are those nail heads I see on the door bracing?  Very neat job!

My solution was little drops of GS Hypo cement as shown in this post here which I think works for great big bolt heads.  Yours are so much better for nails, what's the method?

Stabbing it with the head of a pin! No technical info other than that I'm afraid haha!

Peter Denny- Buckingham Branch - used to lay brickpaper over heavy grit sand paper as you do  Brass0 four then soft scribed the courses in with a blunt scribing tool. I tried it and screwed up big time !

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Allan,

With the likes of me you can sometimes get away with things on a limited amount of models, which are totally unsuited to someone like yourself who needs consistent, predictable results.

It works well on random-stone papers, though, in fact you can sprinkle bits of tiny grit on the abrasive and roll them on the covering sheet using a printers/lino-cut roller* - a must for anyone who uses papers IMHO. This can work surprisingly well. Also, if you know which way your modelling light is coming from you can use water-colours/gouache to add some shadow accents here and there. Makes a big difference to light-coloured random stone papers.

Tony.

John wiffen should be chuffed there are only a few of us OCD modellers knocking about. I bet he's got a nice motor!

Aye, so long as he's not abused by people sharing. As an artist who's suffered copyright issues due to the internet (destroyed many artists) it's something I can get very ugly about. I tore some club guys up for arse-paper for doing it. It was on a forum and they saw nothing wrong with it, initially. Bit like kids downloading music for nowt buggered up the music industry - although the record-producers needed a wake-up call.

Tony.

great-looking work. thanks for posting, and I'll take a few tips out of that. I've not started my little project yet but had bought the Wills sheets. I'll try thinning the material out at the edges as it is a bit thick.

on a related issue: do you (or anyone else) know when see-thru corrugated roofing first appeared? I've looked high and low but had no luck finding out.

:)

NB: Wills corrugated asbestos is meant to be but-joined, with a thin piece of paper beneath raising the upper level a hairs-breadth, as indicated in the moulding line on the sheets. I suspect the corrugated metal is similar but haven't used that. There NOT meant to be overlapped.

The gutter edges can be chamfered and filed into troughs.

I'm doing an engine-shed thread - based on Whitemoor - which used corrugated asbestos in the original LNER build - but, being me. don't hold your breath. I've another project which should make the forum before too long.

Tony.

We certainly had "see through" corrugated sheeting in the early 70s on a small greenhouse.

Don't know how long it was available before then though.

Regards

Ian

I Googled and searched for this forever with no joy, but I suspect pre-war, or even pre 1950/60 might be too early for it, but I look forward to being proved wrong - really, I do!

Tony.

I am now the recipient of a wills sheet after discussions on this thread. I still think its too thick and the waves are not waves, rather just bumps pressed onto one side!

post-4901-0-94675600-1391606080_thumb.jpg

I can't argue with the quality of your modelling, Peter, but I've got a five-road through-shed to roof. We aren't comparing like to like. I googled images for corrugated asbestos roofing to aid my build and came up with dozens - the above is one - and it is rather wavy with a very thin overlap. Thickness doesn't come into it if it's properly but-joined with a thin paper under support to aid the tin rise. If you have the sheet you can see the fine joint which is not unlike this picture.

My wills sheet doesn't look like this picture. It appears more ribbed to me. I feel that if every part of a building is made to to look as close as possible to real life then the whole building comes alive and I just don't like the sheets so I'm sticking to my card method. I like the idea of paper strips though. Might have to have a play.....

I take your point: I said 1950s/60 meaning in between. I can remember it, actually 'cos it's when people started building chatty-looking car-ports on there 50s semis drives.

Before I joined the Fire Service I worked in the building industry. The plastic used for car-ports, etc was very thin with very narrow corrugations. It's more the industrial scale use I'm interested in. I can remember seeing it on warehouse when I was a kid, but the date of that sort of much heavier structure is what I'm interested in. If anyone has any pictures of Whitemoor Shed ©1938 pm me I beg you!

My wills sheet doesn't look like this picture. It appears more ribbed to me. I feel that if every part of a building is made to to look as close as possible to real life then the whole building comes alive and I just don't like the sheets so I'm sticking to my card method. I like the idea of paper strips though. Might have to have a play.....

As I've said, your method and finish is superior without doubt. I need effective mass-production for an area nearly 4'X 1'3" roofing, with double corrugated vents and caps running the whole length of each loco-lane! (My only pics of Whitemoor are few, poor and in books. Please pm me anyone with photographs)

Not for the first time on this forum I've got myself in a corner where it's: "put up or shut up!" so I suppose it's past time I should. ;-)

Not at all mate - each to his own. I would like to make a large corrugated shed at some point and I'm going to make the whole thing using my method. What's the rush after all?

Fifteen by twelve foot of four-track mainline, marshalling yard, shed and station, all laid out and empty of buildings, tends to focus the mind!(I had a lot more free time when it was started)Mine has to be a broad canvas, even though - as I mentioned earlier - I'm probably more temperamentally suited to a smaller display if I'm honest. Hoisted with my own petard, as the saying goes.

More importantly, the notion of breaking tasks into specific pieces as you do, could be my lifeline.

Oh, yes - and age! (66) Less life left and health issues are a good focus, too.:-D

Do it for the trains! Won't somebody think about the trains?

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/embrace-life/wellness/10-easy-ways-to-increase-your-life-expectancy

May I point out that I don't do all of these and I feel awful about it.

I am doing it for the trains!

I'll give you a belly-laugh. Go to redcapcrane's channel on YouTube and suffer through "First Rough" my one and only upload, made in poor light with a hand-held Flip camera. If you can stomach it long enough, after the pink "special effect" it changes to the shed-side of the layout. There are four trains running at once, round and round. It's not meant to be like that, of course, they are meant to run sequentially with changes of loco, etc.

I haven't put a window up 'cos it's not my thread, and it's the first time I've mentioned it on the forum - and I will regret it! I was going to delete it but a few kind souls persuaded me otherwise - it can only get better!...

But you'll see the need for buildings, and a very small glimpse of a failed attempt to paper Metcalf kits for mass production.

Tony.

edit: Believe it or not but it is actually better full-screen PC. It's too busy for small images.

So there you go - my pride's in tatters. I didn't even tidy the damn thing - hence lightbulbs, etc.

Regarding the houses, well they just escaped the bin. The might suffer a background position, we'll see. I have thought of using such as them as place-keepers to give me a sense of space, moved around, etc. As it happens I've some Hornby terraces I'm detailing and painting, again as place-keepers. They aren't bad as a basis, just too much white windows and stonework; pristine roofs and brick, etc. They look promising so I might take some pics.

Incidentally, the layout is meant for operation from the middle where you can't see all sides at once.

I would pay someone if I could; a few things to build the total image - but I can't, although a friend did build something for me which will feature at a later date.

And that's more than enough nattering from me for a long while. As I've said, thinking of the layout as a whole has had me knackered. Taking areas for complete dioramas is very promising - but browsing (much as I enjoy it) and modelling are just not possible for me - every second counts!

Now off to the local model shop for paint. :-D

Tony.

Sorry to be off topic here, but I've just watched your video Tony, and I definitely think you need your own thread. From what I can see it looks brilliant. You have a fantastic space there and can run scale length trains with ease. Love the four track main line!

Thanks, for that freebs, you're very kind, but I need to dip my toes in and make some completed structures. I've far too much partially built and discarded stuff about, all due to my trying to find an acceptable level of mass-production. The layout is quite wide all around, so lesser stuff might suit the rear with scratch-built work at the front. Thanks to Peter I'm approaching it from an itemised perspective. No doubt there will be photographs of the layout within these sub-threads. :-D

Must shoot out!

Just updated the cover of my blog with this picture. I love the capabilities of my iphone.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Just to make a note; my blog is pretty much the same thing as I have been posting on here, only with much more detailed explanations of how I create my models. Until I have a decent back catalogue of models to adorn the blog with that is.....

Okay, so I got home early to take a shot of the workshop doors in daylight.

I broke it! My world has ended. It dropped off the chair onto the concrete and the weak point above the door had come apart. Luckily filler doesn't shatter into pieces so it isn't visible when popped back into place but I have to be really careful now :(

post-21051-0-07409100-1391616828_thumb.jpg

Rest in piece(s) my little creation

It's perfect, Pete - but I'd love to see peeling paint on top using acrylic paint over of masking fluid... *

For the record there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that your work is far superior to the alternatives. I look forward to the day when I can put the same sort of effort (dunno about the result, mind!) into more prominent near-frontal areas of my own layout.

Talking of which, thanks for the link. Jaz has put it up on Arboretum Valley to nice effect. Jaz and Kal are a brilliant couple, engaged in the most extraordinary production!

Cheers,

Tony.

*Don't spoil it. Make another if you fancy the experiment.

Archived