Yeoman and ARC collaboration pre Mendip Rail

Does anyone know the extent of the collaboration between ARC and Yeoman in the 1980s?

Watching this video:

it shows 56033 with a number of ARC PTAs, followed by Yeoman PXAs and then Yeoman PTAs.

Is this an ARC or a Yeoman flow? Is this simply a case of ARC loaning Yeoman some additional PTAs for use on their flows? Of course, the ulterior motive here is to run Yeoman stock on my model of Whatley!

Guy

The video: could it have been a reallocation of wagons from one to the other? They both leased from Procor I think, so a change in requirements/contracts could have resulted in the need for a transfer of wagons before there was a chance to repaint (or just paint out the logos). Only a theory.

Some good theories there!

Jon, I think you are right about the origins of Mendip rail being in the collaboration on the second severn crossing. However, work didn't start until 1992 and the video above was purportedly shot in 1986 (believable from the early Yeoman livery on the PTAs).

There was definitely re-allocation of wagons between the two companies - for example some of the PGAs that ARC used retained a base colour of Yeoman grey with just the blue Yeoman panel painted out in ARC mustard, e.g. in this shot from Huw Millington (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmillington/2034858893

):

2034858893_f4a74abd86_o.jpg

Looking at the video more closely they look to be empties heading back east towards Westbury.

I'm going to see if I can find any more examples from around the same period.

• 11 months later...

Hello.

Interestingly from the clip, it looks like the last wagon was a PTA 'inner' with buffers?  Or are my eyes deceiving me?

I have a feeling their was no mixing of Mendip - London stone services at the time.  I have not seen any reference to the PXA wagons being used by ARC, they were a Yeoman / Procor creation to maximise the wagon fleet size.  I always thought Yeoman had some large contracts around this time, but it may have been the timing of their services up and down the B&H compared to ARC!

Always happy to be corrected.

GBMRG

Interestingly from the clip, it looks like the last wagon was a PTA 'inner' with buffers?  Or are my eyes deceiving me?

Looks like a PTA outer to me (out of interest: what features made you think it was an inner?).

I have a feeling their was no mixing of Mendip - London stone services at the time.

Me too, which is why I posted the video... it seemed to disprove this!

• RMweb Premium

Interesting video, and handy for something I've been working on recently too, thanks!  No idea about the ARC/Yeoman collaboration, but the rear wagon does look to have [round] buffers, doesn't look to have a [lit] tail lamp to me though - or is it just very dim?

I can not be sure but there must have been occasions when the train plan went awry that it would be in the interests of both parties for two trains to be combined with their agreement.

After Acton Yard was heavily rationalised there was very limited capacity and I would suspect an empty set left there effectively blocking a road would be a problem.

Better then for the next mendip bound service with capacity to clear it as far as Westbury, where nearly all trains called for relief, and detach the set in the yard there

to be tripped to the other quarry later. 

cheers

Archived