Roco MultiMAUS

HSTcallum

Its available in the UK ... I brought mine here but there are many other importers.

Its made by Lenz and so is 100% compatible with their products. It is also NMRA compliant.

There are two models. The traditional cable throttle in red and the new wireless one in blue. Not sure of the status of the latter though.

Its a good controller, possibly one of the better cheap controllers (I can't remember if it does decoder CV read-back).

It talks Lenz XpressNet on the back, so can be upgraded/used on a Lenz based system if you want to expand things.

Availability is patchy; Roco, in common with most German model train makers, seems to be going through a financially turbulant period, and the long term future of the Roco Multimaus system is questionable.

Cheapest way to get them used to be to buy trainsets, often direct from Germany. I'd be surprised if its cheaper than a Select, but it is a much better controller than the Select.

Its available in the UK ... I brought mine here but there are many other importers.

Its made by Lenz and so is 100% compatible with their products. It is also NMRA compliant.

There are two models. The traditional cable throttle in red and the new wireless one in blue. Not sure of the status of the latter though.

I've had a look at that site, the price is around ??100 but the booklet/leaflet I have says that it should be around ??66

I've had a look at that site, the price is around ??100 but the booklet/leaflet I have says that it should be around ??66

Be careful with the prices you are looking at.

There is a price for the complete MultiMaus system (i.e. MultiMaus handset, Command centre, transformer, connecting leads and instruction book);

....there is also a price just for the MultiMaus handset (for adding another handset to the system, or for use with a Lenz sytem).

If you are after a complete MultiMaus system, then the cheapest way is....

....either buying it as part of a Roco Start Set (that's a trainset) and selling off the train/loco/coaches/wagons etc;

....or buying a brand new MultiMaus system split from a trainset, via eBay.

The list price for the system alone is around £200 or more, so the train sets are a bargain.

UK buyers have paid between £65 and £100 for the system via the eBay route.

With the merger of Roco and Fleischmann, expect the MultiMaus to be offered in, or split from the latter's train sets too as they now use that rather than the older Fleischmann system.

The MultiMaus is leaps and bounds much better than the Select and not really comparable.

Incidently, the Select can be had for around £25 to £40....which is still a waste of money IMHO. ;)

Its a good controller, possibly one of the better cheap controllers (I can't remember if it does decoder CV read-back).

It doesn't do read back (the red wired one) - Though if you upgrade eventually to a Lenz 90 or 100 system the handset will do read back then.

Like many people I bought mine from Germany via ebay - cheap, quick 'n' painless.

It's a very nice system, I know/knew a fair few people running exhibition layouts via a MultiMaus.

If starting again, I'd certainly buy another.

-Rob

Be careful with the prices you are looking at.

There is a price for the complete MultiMaus system (i.e. MultiMaus handset, Command centre, transformer, connecting leads and instruction book);

....there is also a price just for the MultiMaus handset (for adding another handset to the system, or for use with a Lenz sytem).

If you are after a complete MultiMaus system, then the cheapest way is....

....either buying it as part of a Roco Start Set (that's a trainset) and selling off the train/loco/coaches/wagons etc;

....or buying a brand new MultiMaus system split from a trainset, via eBay.

The list price for the system alone is around ??200 or more, so the train sets are a bargain.

UK buyers have paid between ??65 and ??100 for the system via the eBay route.

With the merger of Roco and Fleischmann, expect the MultiMaus to be offered in, or split from the latter's train sets too.

The MultiMaus is leaps and bounds much better than the Select and not really comparable.

Incidently, the Select can be had for around ??30 to ??40....which is still a waste of money IMHO. wink.gif

i've seen a multimaus on ebay for ??40 (plus ??10 for p+p) laugh.gif

i may try and get it

As Ron says, be careful that it's not just a handset they're selling.

On it's own the handset is of no use. You will need the complete system to operate your layout.

apparently it's got the transformer, control centre, the multimaus itself, cables & instructions. Is that the complete system?

apparently it's got the transformer, control centre, the multimaus itself, cables & instructions. Is that the complete system?

Yes, that's the complete MultiMaus system.

One issue not raised so far is the higher than normal DCC output voltage from this system.

Some people have reported problems as a result, especially with N gauge.

I vaguely remember a suggestion that the track voltage can be attenuated to around the usual 15 volts. Can anybody help on this?

To reduce the output voltage solder together two strings of 1N5400 diodes then solder the ends of both strings together so that it will allow ac through (ie one set with the diodes pointing one way and the other set the other way). Then fit this diode array in line with one of the track feed wires; the other feed wire going directly from the Multimaus set to the track. Take a voltage reading off the light outputs from a decoder and adjust the didoes until you are happy.

To overcome the problem of not reading back CVs use DecoderPro http://jmri.sourceforge.net/ in conjunction with a Sprog http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

I have never found the higher voltage to be an issue - have been running one for a few years (cost of ??40 on eBay for the full set) and it copes admirably on show layouts and at home in N, OO and O.

Also a fab spare handset for my Lenz Set 100.

I highly recommend the Roco RouteSetter too if you can get hold of one for point control.

When I bought my first dcc system it was this or the NCE, because I was reluctant to buy something from abroad I lended up with the NCE however I am thinking about selling it because It's not really my piece of cake, but having just seen this thread I decided to do a bit of research on ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROCO-Sistema-Digital-DCC-Multimaus-50VA-NUEVO_W0QQitemZ230421328699QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_186?hash=item35a62e733b

Now providing this is everything you need to get started, I may consider getting one?

When I bought my first dcc system it was this or the NCE, because I was reluctant to buy something from abroad I lended up with the NCE however I am thinking about selling it because It's not really my piece of cake, but having just seen this thread I decided to do a bit of research on ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROCO-Sistema-Digital-DCC-Multimaus-50VA-NUEVO_W0QQitemZ230421328699QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_186?hash=item35a62e733b

Now providing this is everything you need to get started, I may consider getting one?

this link to spanish seller has a few for sale the instructions are in french but can you use them on GB power supplies tia

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a lot of research I ended up getting one of these from the Spanish seller listed above.

I can confirm it is everything you need to get started (apart from a 3pin UK plug adapter) and comes with mulitlingual manual.

Now I just need to get some chips and I can start exploring the world of DCC.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As Ron says, be careful that it's not just a handset they're selling.

On it's own the handset is of no use. You will need the complete system to operate your layout.

Hi

Is that the case if you just want to use it with a Lenz system and an extra cab?

Cheers

Paul

Archived