Regauging 16.5 mm models to broad gauge

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

Over on Old RMweb a modeller from Argentina, Diego de Bunder, was showcasing a layout project involving a 1,676 mm broad gauge line from his country, for which he had to both build his own track and regauge his rolling stock, originally built for the normal 16.5 mm, accordingly. However - are there any companies offering such regauging jobs for modellers who do not have the means and skills to do this themselves?

Also, are there any RTR solutions for broad gauge 19.2 mm track, or at least in kit form? I'm asking just out of interest as I could imagine there should be at least a certain number of modellers in broad gauge countries who would prefer true broad gauge track.

Thank you for all references you could give me! :)

• RMweb Premium

You could use P4 track - the difference between 18.86mm and 19.2mm would be substantially less than the difference between OO and P4.

That might be an option indeed, Paul.

As for building your own track - which brands might be recommended for sleepers and chairs to be used in such a project? :)

Exactoscale/P4 Track Company http://www.p4track.co.uk/ and C+L Finescale http://www.finescale.org.uk/ both sell P4 / S4 flexible track, components, and complete point kits. One of the members with more experience of modelling in P4 would probably be able to give better advice than me on which products are recommended.

Paul

Building the track is no problem.

You could use the old method of PCB strip.

Plastic sleepers and chairs

Plywood Sleepers and plastic Chairs

If you want 19.2mm then you would need gauges built (a friendly engineer with a lathe would do it and if you use EM standards +1mm it would work fine)

Turnouts plans/templates can be designed and printed off a program called Templot so there is no reason why you could not build to 19.2mm or even 19mm if you want to work to a whole number.

Loco wheels like Slaters which are a push fit on to round steel axles, just cut up your own axles from steel rod and a back to back gauge could again be built by a friendly engineer.

On the other hand P4 track is readly available.

Good luck

• 6 months later...

Building the track is no problem.

You could use the old method of PCB strip.

Plastic sleepers and chairs

Plywood Sleepers and plastic Chairs

If you want 19.2mm then you would need gauges built (a friendly engineer with a lathe would do it and if you use EM standards +1mm it would work fine)

(snip)

On the other hand P4 track is readly available.

Good luck

American 00 is or was to 19mm gauge and there are a very few who still follow it. Whether they do track gauges though? You'd have to ask.

http://americanoo.blogspot.com/

I agree that marrying an 'EM' style British solution to track gauge problems with the 'continental' scale can have its advantages. For example the finescale 3mm gauge of 13.5mm married with 1:120 TT gives near enough to 5'3" gauge. Where the whole thing tends to come unstuck is with different axle and wheel standards.

As to broad gauge RTR and kits, I think Irish 4mm modellers who model 5'3" using 21mm gauge have a few kits but apart from that, I think there is very little at all anywhere in the world for broad gauge.

With 5'3" modelling, as long as you use finescale wheels and model diesel era, the situation is like real life, ie, you do not usually need to alter bogie or underframe width to insert wheels to the wider gauge. When you get to 5'6" I think longer axles and therefore wider bogies do become necessary. I imagine Spain/Portugal and India are the countries where you might find some people working on 'broader solutions' but I have not seen any evidence.

Ben

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Exactoscale do plain track that is gauge widened for P4. I dont know what the actual gauge is but i would guess its at least 19mm

HTH

Jim

IMHO if someone is modelling broad gauge in H0 scale and fussy enough to want to correct the gauge then they are not going to be interested in overscale British track of a completely wrong design. So P4 is an irrelevance. As has neen mentioned rail and sleeper material is gauge independent, all you need to build track is a gauge or two, and they need not be turned on a lathe. A bit of steel or brass strip with a couple of notches filed in the edge will do the job.

The main job will be finding longer axles and widening bogie frames, but many H0 models are way overwide to start with and 26 mm axles should take P87 wheels and fit in many of the models without alteration.

Regards

Keith

Guest jim s-w

Hi Keith

I thought the standard for HO is to use 24.5mm axles?

I appreciate that P4 wouldn't be right but the OP did ask for RTR options.

Cheers

Jim

P4 is 18.83mm. Diego de Bunder is modelling a prototype where the track is deliberately covered with soil as a form of ballast, so he might get away with P4, but that's pretty rare.

BTW, I cannot find his Chipauquil thread on the 'new' RMWeb, does anyone know if he is posting elsewhere as it was an interesting series?

Many TT models were built with wheels so coarse that substituting P87 wheels gives up to 1.8mm extra to play with; if that doesn't give enough room, the next option may be to remove material from the inside bogie frames.

B.

• 1 year later...

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. When the new RMWeb came i found that i was no longer a member, neither could i join the new forum... don't remember the reason, I think it had something to do with the servers congested, then I forgot about it until a few days ago. So here I am again!

As far as I know there are no commercial solutions for 19,2mm gauge, neither I know of any other modeller who has tried to build a layout using this gauge. There are some modellers building display models using 19,2mm gauge, and also a very well known argentinean modeller Claudio Cirimele is making some experiments at H0a (

).

About the "means and skills" the only tools I used to do this was a cheap Vernier Caliper and a bent wire with 2 pieces of 5mm square strip wood to aid me in moving the wheels outwards. For skills I must say than previous to this endeavour I only built two styrene wagons. I think it requires more patience than skill.

I must say that my efforts had nothing to do with P4 or Proto 87, I can only find code 100 track here in Argentina, and the wheel flanges of my Frateschi locomotives is closer to 1950's Märklin than to RP25. The rail profile never concerned me very much because track is ballasted using the "Argentine System"; that is: covering all the sleepers with soil up to the rail tops and having drains every three sleepers in alternating directions. I experimented on getting a flange profile similar to RP25 by putting the wheel on a dremel tool and turning it to shape with a flat file.

I regret to report that Chipauquil's broad gauge track was lifted a few years ago when the materials form the brazilian brand Frateschi became unavailable or outrageously expensive. I tried to use spares from other brands but found that most bogies are made using a kind of plastic that is very hard to glue.

But since then Chipauquil 2.0 was built using the same baseboards, track layout, and rolling stock... only that this time it's track is plain, old, boring (and above all inaccurate) 16,5mm gauge.This new Chipauquil is now fully operational, and efforts right now are made into the scenic and rolling stock construction departments.

I'm intrigued, What are you attempting to model in H0 19,2mm gauge?

Regards

Diego De Bunder

...I agree that marrying an 'EM' style British solution to track gauge problems with the 'continental' scale can have its advantages. For example the finescale 3mm gauge of 13.5mm married with 1:120 TT gives near enough to 5'3" gauge. Where the whole thing tends to come unstuck is with different axle and wheel standards.

As to broad gauge RTR and kits, I think Irish 4mm modellers who model 5'3" using 21mm gauge have a few kits but apart from that, I think there is very little at all anywhere in the world for broad gauge.

With 5'3" modelling, as long as you use finescale wheels and model diesel era, the situation is like real life, ie, you do not usually need to alter bogie or underframe width to insert wheels to the wider gauge. When you get to 5'6" I think longer axles and therefore wider bogies do become necessary. I imagine Spain/Portugal and India are the countries where you might find some people working on 'broader solutions' but I have not seen any evidence.

3.5mm scale / 1:87 teamed with "EM" track gauge is also quite close to a scale 5'3". Ireland and Australia used this gauge, and Steam Era Models provide kits for some Australian outline models.

Archived