Scratch built wagon depot (was my first scalescene)

hammy

As the title says just completed my first kit went really well with it going to have three of these side by side for my new layout but the others will not have the sliding doors or office in

post-12082-0-82335100-1391307218.jpg

I've never built one yet although I have a couple printed out and collected from magazines. I've just not got far enough along with the layout to see if and where I can use them.

Nice job on your first one!

Regards,

Mark

I am a big fan of Scalescenes. I have built two retaining walls of 4 feet each and the north light engine shed which I kit bashed into extra length ( easy ) and widened to three track ( really hard but now, with modifications by John, easy ). Both have been pictured on here in one way or another.

There has, from time to time, been competition but John is still there, producing new kits and modifying old ones.

My only complaint is that the concrete/stone prints are a bit green. My earliest wall had almost bright green cappings and i was constrained to rename the stone oolitic wiffenstone.

Later renditions on a new printer are much better. Indeed because I waited over a year between print sessions for my shed rooflights, I had to explain the colour change as bomb damage!

Good work, Hammy.  That & the freeby download of the little goods shed were my first ever downloaded kits when I got back into railways after a 25-year lay off.  

Scalescenes have become my go-to supplier for this kind of thing!  I have also found that using a combination of John Whiffen's layering methods & techniques in the John Ahern Miniature Building Construction book has allowed me to start scratchbuilding and adapting the Scalescenes stuff.  Have a squint at my thread if interested!

• 3 weeks later...

After the great success of the low relief warehouse I'm going to have a go at making a scratch built wagon workshop. This is going to be made off card and wrapped in scalescene brick paper but with a plasticard roof I would change the tittle of the topic but don't now how

post-12082-0-39655800-1392983709.jpg

Brilliant first building.

Please keep posting pics and updates of the wagon workshop to show us how you get on - I'll be following this with avid interest as I have a similar size building to do myself.

Phil

Nice subject for a first scratchbuild, hammy, I see you have the bug!  To be honest for any relatively regularly shaped building like that I wouldn't buy a kit any more, it's just as easy to make it myself.

May I recommend the posts on here by a member with the screen name Chubber, a.k.a. Doug.  He's the brickpaper & card maestro and has some excellent tips for those complicated bits like making good corners to buildings.

• 1 month later...

Waiting for my local model shop to get some wills asbestos corogated roof panels in so have now downloaded to new engine shed low relief flats and water tower why do I surcome

Have you tried delaminating corrugated cardboard then painting it up, Hammy?  If you take a piece of it (I found a cat food sachet box was good) and soak it in water the flat surfaces can be removed to produce a quite creditable substitute to plastic.  You can leave the flat skin on one side to aid strengthening & allow gluing.

I used that method on this.  I had hoped for corrugated iron, but the size makes it better for asbestos:

Shelter%25202.jpg

I was also given a gift pack for Christmas which was in a box made of much finer card with no flat skin on the outside.  I used this on these buildings:

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

Edit to add:

Sorry, forgot to say I really like your building!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived