Seep point motors and DC accessory decoders - which work best

beejack

• RMweb Gold

OK having used Seep solenoid motors for quite a while I am now looking at moving towards DCC control of the points.

I am presently using E-link and rail master software and have recently purchased an ESU switch pilot to experiment with.

I have successfully programmed the unit and can switch individual points by computer, but where there is a cross-over requiring  two motors these have to be switched separately as they either both don't switch or with a separate power supply only one switches.  

Rail master will also not let me switch the points any quicker than 2 second intervals. 

I don't really wish to change my motors to something less power hungry so has anyone got experience with getting these to work as a pair with an point decoder (and if so which make/model) or do I have to settle for switching each point separately?

I've tried the Digitrax DS52 Decoder which is advertised working 2 points, it has a capacitor discharge unit on board.

It will fire two points one after the other, if operated manually but it does not reliably fire 2 points simultaneously.

I found this problem when I controlled routes using a computer it was firing the points too quickly after one another.

Fortunately I had 4 points and 2 DS52s together in the same spot, so I changed Decoder A to fire point 1&3 and Decoder B to fire point 2&4

I use the ZTC304 together with a CDU, and this reliably switches a pair of the normal high power Peco point motors. If one of a pair of point motors is an H&M, you cant do this because of its' current draw and it must be connected singly (I don't known about pairing an H&M with one of the new low power motors). The ZTC304 will provide up to 8 amps, I don't know the current draw of a Seep, but I don't suppose it's as much as an old H&M, and Susie (above) suggests this is enough.

I've got my 304s connected to my main DCC bus which I'm running at 16 volts which is what's recommended when using a CDU.

Many thanks for the reply's.

Edwin_m 

I was taking a look at the MERG site today.  

Would you know if the MERG decoder is compatible with the elite/elink?

I don't know as I use mine with Lenz.  Should be compatible with any command station which uses NMRA standard protocols but I know Hornby did a couple of odd things with their systems.  Perhaps someone else can advise better on this? 

Back in Zero-1 days, when I still used Peco points - I reduced the current taken by a pair of Peco points forming a crossover, by wiring the motors in series; and then adjusting the spring tension, if necessary, of the Peco over-Centre Spring [The T-shaped bar is gripped between 2 metal tabs - moving this away from the tie-bar lessens the over-centre spring force.  They could then work happily from a single accessory decoder output.

To wire (Peco) motors in series, requires  'left' and 'right' from the decoder to the 'left' and right' coils respectively, of the first point motor. 

Then 'left' to 'left', and 'right' to right' between the 2  motors.

And finally  connecting the final pair of connections (1 from each coil on the 2nd motor) together and back to the Common [usually central' except MERG] decoder terminal.

Using a Seep motor, with its PCB connections - the common terminal between the 2 coils needs the track to be cut, to give 2 separate connections.

Nowadays, where I still use 'analogue' point motors, I prefer to use 'end-off-switching designs which use mechanical efficiency [as opposed to 'brute force and ignorance'] and therefore, not only take a lower current, but also turn themselves off once the move is completed: If 2 such motors are in parallel, once the first has completed the move, ALL the power is available to complete the slower motor's movement.

Hi,

I operate a pair of Peco points with SEEP PM1 motors, both motors fire from 1 port of my Hornby acc decoder. Just make sure the points are Very free to move and the motors are correctly aligned, also consider a quick spray of silicone oil inside the sliding bar part of the motor (this helped my set up). Also ensure you are using heavy wire from the decoder to the point motors....you could try doubling up your existing wires to test this, and leave them in place until you have tried all other suggestions.

I had problems at first with my double point arrangement, but by employing the above fixes, I now have reliable point firing.

Hope this helps.

P.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the additional help/suggestions

Hi beejack, perhaps this will help.

I use the DCC concepts ADS8 to fire both SEEPs on a crossover It works well and is simple to program.

I was taking a look at these the other day!

Which system are you using?

I am presently using Elink and Railmaster but I looking at other options.

I am presently using the Elink/Railmaster combo as a throttle, while points are on a separate DCC system bus worked by a Hornby Select at present.

All 8 units of the ADS8 are in use and all have a centre off toggle switch as an alternative to punching in numbers on the very clunky controller. They are programed

as 60 through to 67.

Archived