SGJ

I have bought my son a n gauge train set, it is a Dapol 56 and 3 VTG Ferrywagons and has a oval of track ( plus Gaugemaster prodigy express which is mine, swapped with my power cab ).

In addition to this I was in Scarborough yesterday and bought him a PGA wagon ( ECC Quarries ).

I am thinking of having the layout as DC for a reason ( teaching him basic electrics ).

hopefully he will have a 156 too, plus a couple of BR 21 tonne hoppers.

I am wanting a station and steel distribution warehouse, I am not sure how the hoppers could be used though at the moment.

I am stuck on a plan for the layout at the moment, other than it needs to be continuous, and with somewhere to shunt the wagons, size is another thing, I am wanting to do the layout on a size of 8 foot x 2 foot

any ideas and plans are genuinely wanted

post-9437-0-83832200-1391375454_thumb.jpg

At the moment my son has a oval of set track, were going to stick with set track for the time being, I have just bought a couple of points to make a passing point which will eventually be the station area, so hurry up e hattons :)

A couple of pictures one of the new ECC Quarries hopper

post-9437-0-15026700-1391463181_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-73502400-1391463206_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-96219200-1391463017_thumb.jpg

Hi SGJ,

Looking at the oval with the station and passing loop at one side, how about splitting the oval into two with a backscene in between. The station could have a simple siding coming off the loop into a steel distribution warehouse, the other side could represent the countryside with the track simply running though a forest, or it could have another siding to a china clay works. Have a look at BCNPete's Coombe Junction for inspiration.

Plenty more inspiration on the rest of his blog too, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/283/entry-9807-up-on-the-roof/

Excellent start, looks like it will be fun.

Hi SGJ,

Looking at the oval with the station and passing loop at one side, how about splitting the oval into two with a backscene in between. The station could have a simple siding coming off the loop into a steel distribution warehouse, the other side could represent the countryside with the track simply running though a forest, or it could have another siding to a china clay works. Have a look at BCNPete's Coombe Junction for inspiration.

Plenty more inspiration on the rest of his blog too, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/283/entry-9807-up-on-the-roof/

Excellent start, looks like it will be fun.

Splitting the layout into two is a fantastic idea, i like Melangoose layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69983-melangoose/ but never seen it other than on RM Web, so i am thinking of something similar with a Cornish feel for that half, and maybe a tees-side feel to the other half.

Thank you for the idea, it has realy given me a lot to think about, but still do it in stages and small steps to begin with.

SGJ

• 2 months later...

Hi SGJ, a nice start there for Ben.  You might wish to check out some of the plans by Cyril Freezer (aka CJF) in his various plan books published by Peco.  One that I'm considering presently is his second plan listed in his 'Track Plans' (now out of print, I think).  It features appropriately as Plan P.2.  It's scaled for '00' on a six by four board; It would fit very comfortably in 'N' gauge on a five foot by three foot board and allow plenty of room for track extension and / or scenic development.  I've played around with this plan a bit in '00', using Anyrail, and I've come up with some interesting, slight, variations but even the basic scheme as drawn back in the 1960s works well, particularly with diesels and multiple units.  This same plan has featured in a fairly recent Railway Modeller supplement on layout plans.  I have a copy in my study here but the mess it's presently in means it hasn't surfaced for a while!  Bear with me for a few days, I'll try and locate it and get back to you, but here's hoping you have a copy of it anyway?.  

Hi SGJ, a nice start there for Ben.  You might wish to check out some of the plans by Cyril Freezer (aka CJF) in his various plan books published by Peco.  One that I'm considering presently is his second plan listed in his 'Track Plans' (now out of print, I think).  It features appropriately as Plan P.2.  It's scaled for '00' on a six by four board; It would fit very comfortably in 'N' gauge on a five foot by three foot board and allow plenty of room for track extension and / or scenic development.  I've played around with this plan a bit in '00', using Anyrail, and I've come up with some interesting, slight, variations but even the basic scheme as drawn back in the 1960s works well, particularly with diesels and multiple units.  This same plan has featured in a fairly recent Railway Modeller supplement on layout plans.  I have a copy in my study here but the mess it's presently in means it hasn't surfaced for a while!  Bear with me for a few days, I'll try and locate it and get back to you, but here's hoping you have a copy of it anyway?.  

I only have a Hornby track plan book from the 80`s, the rest of my literature is of real railways from the mid 80`s to early 90`s ( my bashing era ).

Ben does like DMU, HST and Voyager / Pendo type trains, and likes to watch mainline action, but also small freight trains as he calls them e.g. a small rake of VGA or VDA etc. to shunt, not too keen on mixed goods trains on branch lines. He also is fairly keen on Aviation so I think I could see a airport runway and a Interchange station on the cards but not too sure with this layout just yet

SGJ

Right, that seems to be there.  Quick run-through - single track working, but I've added additional storage siding to original Track Plan number P2.  In the lower through station I've added a left hand point (I've used Peco N Setrack in Anyrail 5) to the original plan to create a run-round loop, instead of the siding terminating as a bay.  You can happily shunt in the sidings here whilst trains circle the layout unhindered.  I say Trains, plural, even though it's only single track, as you can hold trains in either line of the through station as another passes by on the other line, or you can hold a train in the terminus until another train comes into the other terminus platform or the bay platform or wherever.

Notice that you can run a train through the terminus station without it actually passing a platform.  A nice touch which could aid running  - eg count say, six times it passes through before you direct the train into the terminus.  

You could make the bay platform line on the terminus station a through line and circle it round and down to connect with the lower station run-round loop.  that way you could run a train around either direction without it actually running alongside the platforms on either station.  A very simple design but with plenty of possibilities.  And you can probably add more storage sidings in the middle if you like.

Hope this helps give you some ideas, youse two.

A couple of things I failed to mention.  It's Peco 'N' Setrack Code 80 I've used.  You'll also notice several times where track pieces overlap and there's vertical lines on the track rather than neat white circles showing where track ends join up neatly with the next.  Here I would either use flexi track cut to length or cut one of the Setrack pieces to length.  There might be exact pieces that fit; sorry, I'm not familiar with Peco Setrack 'N' trackage at all.  I did enjoy the doodle with Anyrail though.  And of course, this is simply a suggestion, both track plan and board size, it was something easy and manageable for me to work on.  I haven't indicated where power feeds (the wiring and switching) might go.  You might be intent on using DCC or alternatively ask and I or someone else here will be ready to help, whatever layout plan you opt for.

A couple of things I failed to mention.  It's Peco 'N' Setrack Code 80 I've used.  You'll also notice several times where track pieces overlap and there's vertical lines on the track rather than neat white circles showing where track ends join up neatly with the next.  Here I would either use flexi track cut to length or cut one of the Setrack pieces to length.  There might be exact pieces that fit; sorry, I'm not familiar with Peco Setrack 'N' trackage at all.  I did enjoy the doodle with Anyrail though.  And of course, this is simply a suggestion, both track plan and board size, it was something easy and manageable for me to work on.  I haven't indicated where power feeds (the wiring and switching) might go.  You might be intent on using DCC or alternatively ask and I or someone else here will be ready to help, whatever layout plan you opt for.

Hi Steve, Ben ( and Myself ) want to say thank you, The design has a lot of possibility's and play-ability.

It has come with two problems... which station to call Ben Street, and what to call the other station :)

many thanks

SGJ

post-9437-0-99007500-1398587041_thumb.jpg 

Hi there Ben (great smile and thanks for the thumbs up!) and SGJ.  I agree in the possibilities and the all-important playabilities, not forgetting the add-on abilities of a scheme like this.  My one piece of advice is get something like this down very soon and enjoy the trains running - which I'm delighted to see in your excellent pictures that you are doing.  There's plenty of time left then for the dreaming about the ultimate layout and chopping and changing, if you wish, as you go along.  My one huge mistake in this hobby was not running my trains in my teens until I saw 'the one layout' that would meet all my needs.  Now in my extremely late fifties (I'm holding off just yet until the dreaded word 'sixty' appears!) I realise that there was / is no such thing for me and I've only ever run trains a few times on a few layouts that I've built.  Learn from us owd 'uns, Ben.

As for your problem of naming which station which, the top terminus station looks more like a town type station so maybe that is Ben Street, the lower station suggests to me more a rural location, maybe even destined one day to develop into a junction - I'm adding my own thoughts here as I've doodled a fair bit on this design with Anyrail - fun isn't it?!  As for a station name though, you're on your own with that problem unless someone else comes on this thread with bright ideas.

Keep us all informed on RMweb as to how things develop.  A great start!  

• 3 months later...

as you originally wanted a 8x2

you could fold the plan in half between the two stations top and bottom.....

and twist one half over so instead of facing up the plans faces downwards

then straighten the curve between the two stations...

it keeps all the lovely shunting areas that steve22 has designed....

but brings it more into the original proportions (your 8x2)

Plus. losing those big curves will allow the trains to look more realistic as well. 

The only update that I can give for Ben Street at the moment is that I have purchased a Peco kit NB-6 goods depot the other week from Frizinghall ( http://www.modelrailshop.co.uk/ ) a few weeks ago, Ben is at the moment more into playing out and going to holiday club for the six weeks holiday and practicing with Armley Moor before bed time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ben has a new hobby at the moment, still playing with the layout a little but he has taken a shine to being on stage He has just got home from presenting at Leeds City Varieties ( Charlie Chaplin, Jimmy Cricket, The Krankies, and Harry Houdini in 1904 have performed there, and now Benjamin ) so work is even slower on Ben Street !

post-9437-0-16420700-1486082185_thumb.jpg 

Ben is in blue trainers 

post-9437-0-25715400-1486082178_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-82014200-1486082176_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-98105300-1486082179_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-64793600-1486082181_thumb.jpg

post-9437-0-42339500-1486082183_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived